What speakers should I mix with G12T-75s?

KBN

Ok, so a quick rundown of my rig. I play 335 style semi-hollow body guitars into a Reeves Custom 50 into a Marshall 1960a cab. I play hard rock and get my overdrive and distortion from pedals. Overall I am very happy with my tone especially if I am playing a room where I can turn the amp up to get the speakers moving some air. I guess I don't always like the sound of the G12T-75s at lower volumes. I like them quite a bit at higher SPLs though so I was thinking of replacing two of the speakers in the cab and getting a nice mix. I would probably be looking for speakers that sound good at lower volumes, but also retain clarity at higher SPLs. I would also want something that is a little smoother (aka, less top end) than the G12T-75s. I was thinking of getting a pair of Weber Ceramic 1265. What do you think? What combinations have you guys found successful?

Thanks,
Keith

Spentmusic

We use a mix of GT75's and Vintage 30's in our U34-CL DST amplifier speaker cabinet. Neither speaker is a favorite of many people but the mix really hits it. When we were demoing the amp the NY Amp Show earlier this year, peopel could not believe that was what was in the cabinet.

Another nice point is the speakers don't cost a lot and you can find them on ebay and other places all the time.

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
Ugg. My least favorite celestion.

But if they're your bag...it's cool.

Best mix I had with those was with 2 greenbacks. But there are other celestion offerings I much prefer.

KBN

We use a mix of GT75's and Vintage 30's in our U34-CL DST amplifier speaker cabinet. Neither speaker is a favorite of many people but the mix really hits it. When we were demoing the amp the NY Amp Show earlier this year, peopel could not believe that was what was in the cabinet.

Another nice point is the speakers don't cost a lot and you can find them on ebay and other places all the time.
Cool. A follow up question for you then. How did you arrive at that combination? What other combos did you do and what quality was it that the 75s and the 30s hit on?

Ugg. My least favorite celestion.

But if they're your bag...it's cool.

Best mix I had with those was with 2 greenbacks. But there are other celestion offerings I much prefer.
I totally hear you Big Mike. There are a lot of things that I don't like the 75's for, but with this band and this rig they seem to work really well. Synergy I guess. Which version of the greenback did you use?

big mike

Cathode biased
I used the standard G12M Greenback. not heritage or anything. I sold all my celestions before the Heritage stuff came out I think.

For awhile there I was a total greenback freak. Every cab I owned. LOL one was H/M mix, which is where I live now, but with non celestion speakers.

Tinman

I'd like you to try the Weber Thames ceramics because I've been wanting to know how they sound though Reeves Custom 50. So if you could do that, I'd appreciate it.:rolleyes:

KBN

I'd like you to try the Weber Thames ceramics because I've been wanting to know how they sound though Reeves Custom 50. So if you could do that, I'd appreciate it.:rolleyes:
Sorry Tinman. :) If I liked Fanes, I would be all over the Webers. Fanes really aren't my thing.

mignano

I tend to find G12t75s and V30s a little bright for my tastes and opt for the higher wattage g12m type models like G1265's and G1280s. Scumbacks are awesome as well

frankencat

Guitarded
Gold Supporting Member
+1. I used this setup for a while with a Bogner Shiva and it was nice. Everybody commented on how good it sounded until I would tell them what speakers were in the cab. Funny how that works, lol :)

rockon1

See, that was my original thought. The Webers are their take on the G12-65s. Have you used the G12-65s with the G12T-75s?

No. I havent had any G12T-75's in a few years. Recently I purchased some Heritage G12-65's and found a really nice mix with my well broken in G12H-30's. Seems even though the sensitivity is lower on the 65's they blend nicely with the G12H-30. The G12H-30's bring the highs and lows and the G12-65's bring the mids and add a little raunch to the G12H-30's . If I could find one speaker with the quality of those two I'd be set! But I digress. ... knowing the G12T-75's are a bit scooped I think they would be a great canidate for a bit of G12-65 mid "beefing up"! I know guys use the V30 with the 75's but it not a favorite speaker of mine. Bob

4styx

I read a Neal Schon interview where he had tried every combination,and G12-75s with G12Ms was the magic one.

Trending Topics