What speakers sound like greenbacks but have higher wattage?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Badger71, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Badger71

Badger71 Member

Just wondering if there is a speaker out there with the same frequency/tonal response of greenbacks but handles a little more power? I have a 50/100 watt head but only use a 2x12 so I don't want the speakers to be underpowered. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

2. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

G12-65s.

Not the 'same', but similar. A little tighter and clearer, and they have that same complex warm/jangly/bright/rich character, but maybe not quite as sweet... or as prone to mushing out at the bottom end.

3. Badger71

Badger71 Member

Thanks for the suggestion, John. I just looked at the Avatar site and it sounds like it may be up my alley...although not released until summer 06. I seem to be getting along with the CL80 in my THD, but the other just doesn't seem to do it for me.

4. trisonic

trisonic Member

I believe Eminence "Governors" are quite similar too but are way more efficient (I like the Greenbacks inefficiency).

Best, Pete.

5. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Scumback H75-8HP-the perfect pre Rola clone...

6. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Hi Pete, with all respect, the Governor is nothing at all like a Greenback. I think you might be meaning to say the "Private Jack" .

For Celestions , as John mentioned the old (1980's) G12-65. Those came with the JCM800 combos and 4x12's. The poster is thinking of a different g12-65. They are similar to higher wattage GB's.... Another speaker that shared some characteristics is Celestion G12H-80 that Celestion released about 5 years ago , and was built for a line of amps and I believe Mojo/Nothing Shocking bought them all when the deal fell thru or something. They were sold cheap, and are mushy like Greenbacks and similar tonewise (to me) ... (I'm not referring to old g12-80's or Classic Lead G12-80's)

Another speaker that actually has some of the tonal characteristics of a GB but is much higher wattage and a bit different are the George Schulz speakers (I spelled his name wrong!) but they're Harry Joyce/Shulz? models.. Cool speakers

That's about it in my experience.

ERIC

7. trisonic

trisonic Member

eric,
    That comes from spouting forth without hearing the things but relying on the comments of others!
    Lesson learned, mate.

I'd like to hear from someone who has actually played through all those Eminence speakers, has it ever been done, I wonder?

Best, Pete.

8. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

The Eminence Tonespotter is like a bad copy of a Celestion G12-65, which is in turn a beefed up greenback.

9. ericb

NO problem , though I know the Private Jack is the only Eminence designed to sound like the Greenback at this point.. I'm not a huge fan of Greenback RI's but I love some 70's Tan/Cremebacks I have in my 70's 4x12. I replace Blackback g12h30's which were too bright for me, with these cremebacks and man they sound great with a Plexi/Flexi,etc type amp
    Anyway, I own the following Eminence newbies:

Manowar
    Governor
    Tonker
    2 Cannabis Rex
    2 Wizards
    Red,White,and Blue
    and mabye some others I'm forgetting.. I've owned Eminence Betas before (an SRV sounding speaker to me) , and have surely owned other PA and bass speakers made by eminence but relabled (oem style) ... There's TOO MANY to go thru these days unless you don't play in a band, or have kids, or whatever, and then I think it'd be a GREAT FUN HOBBY. I already have wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too many speakers, play in 1-2 bands, have 4 kids I'm active with , and a f/t job , and really need to sleep once in awhile!

I own lots of Celestions and many other types of speakers too from EV to PV to Reverend to Naylor to Fane to Weber to Jensen.. Fun stuff.

ERIC

10. ericb

Now why would someone ever want to buy a 'bad copy' of something I didn't like in the 1st place? I didn't really like the g12-65's I owned about 4 years ago... I tried 3 of them with original cones in different configs and they were ok , but I like other speakers more.. Wonder if I'd like the Tonespotter more or less? :)

ERIC

11. Roe

Roe Member

southbay/scumback 12m75 HP (65w)

12. legiticus

legiticus Member

Looks like the Scumback 12m75HP is a winner.

I think Celestion also released a new Heritage version of the G12-65. Any word on those?

13. MARCO

MARCO Member

Eminence Gb12....50 Watt Greenback Clone Or At Least Their Take On A Greenback

14. protoangel

protoangel Member

Celestion have mentioned the reissue G12-65 on their site... so I guess they're out?

15. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

I know Greg Martin uses these and he sure seems to know a thing or two about old school Marshall tone...

16. PB Wilson

PB Wilson Member

I may be wrong, but didn't I read that a Weber ceramic Silver Bell is similar to a Greenback?

17. mmorse

mmorse Member

+1 on the Scumback SA12M75-HP. I had reissue greenbacks, g12-65s, and the regular SA12M75. The Scumback was the best of the three. MUCH better than the reissue GB. It didn't flub out in the bass when pushed nearly as much as the reissue and it retained more chime in the highs while the reissue mushed out. The 65 watt version may be just what you are looking for.

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

yes ;)

19. spikeRI

spikeRI Supporting Member

20. Amp Nut

Amp Nut Member

The 30w weber ceramic silver bell with a 30oz magnet is the closest weber speaker to the greenback.

Ted told me this.