What spirits should I try?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by travisvwright, May 13, 2015.

1. travisvwright

travisvwright Member

I'm a beer drinker, dark beers, stouts, porters, black ale, etc. With all the cork sniffing about best this and that spirits, I thought I would turn here for suggestions into my initial foray. What drink first, and then what brand specifically?

2. hellbender

hellbender Member

Tequila. Cuervo, it's not.

Herradura Silver to get your feet wet.

3. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

drinking and opinions?? you came to the right place:drink :nono

4. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

I think you should ask some questions here but then go to a very well-stocked. bar or restaurant and talk to the bartender about wanting to try some things.

Maybe a local liquor store has liquor tastings and you can get on an email list to find out what they will be sampling and when.

Since you like darker beers you should try Lagavulin 16 scotch (smokey, peaty, dark).

-bEn r.

5. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Supporting Member

Best advice yet.

6. ethandt

ethandt Member

I would suggest a nice rich broubon given your beer tastes. Here are some that won't break the bank, but like mentioned above, going to a well stocked bar would be the trick.

Henry McKenna Bottled in Bond
    Knob Creek Single Barrel
    Eagle Rare 10 Year
    Elijah Craig 12 Year

7. RJLII

RJLII Member

I agree that Bourbon would make a good starting point. Start simple. Compare Jim Beam to Makers Mark. Try it straight with one ice cube. That will immediately illustrate the difference between "mass market" and "craft", kind of like Budweiser versus a micro brew.

8. cpjim

cpjim Member

buy some airline size bottles of different liquors, have fun.

9. LDS22

LDS22 Supporting Member

I never knew tequila could be so good until I picked up a bottle of Herradura for May 5. It's not cheap but I believe one should drink quality spirits if going that route. tequila can be so much more that shots and margaritas. my wife has been making an incredible jalapeño fizz drink with Herradura and I can't get enough.

best advice whether building yourself or buying at a bar is spend the money for quality. ask the bartender, and if you go that route don't do your sampling during happy hour. wait until you can ask questions a get time for a proper response.

10. derekeugene

derekeugene Member

Lagavulin is a fantastic scotch, but definitely not for everyone's first time. If you try Lagavulin, try Oban of a similar vintage as well. Both very popular, easily available, and very different.

My wife turned me on to Fernet Branca a couple years ago. Extra delicious.

11. RhytmEarl

RhytmEarl Member

Irish Whiskey. Red Breast to be specific.

12. Stike

Stike Member

I like Herradura but have been thoroughly enjoying the slightly less expensive Espolon and Lunazul which is even less. I really don't think Patron is worth the price charge. I view it as a "rapper" brand kind of like Grey Goose. I haven't made a straight up margarita in a long time, the paloma has been my warm weather cocktail of choice lately. It's even better with mescal and some bitters.

If I were the OP I'd try a few different cocktails that are only 2-3 ingredients and find something you like. You may eventually wind up a rocks/neat guy and if you don't that's fine too despite what some booze snobs may say.

13. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

14. hellbender

hellbender Member

I think Patrone enjoys it's popularity mainly because it's a spirit that's easy to pronounce, as tequilas go. Especially later in the night. It's a good brand and can be had on sale at competitive prices. Not worth $50 though.

After sampling the better brands of Tequila, I have come to the inescapable conclusion that using low cost spirit in a mixed drink is a fools paradise.

15. AZChilicat

AZChilicat Member

16. OllieDox

OllieDox Member

I'm a big tequila fan and that is my go-to cheap option. It's usually in the $15 range in Northeast Ohio. It meets my only absolute requirement with tequila- 100% agave. I prefer it to a lot of other $15-30 range brands. Just shows that 'cheap' doesn't have to be awful.

Anyways, tequila and a lot of other liquors really can come down to personal preference. I love tequila and gin - two spirits that can be very polarizing and that's not even taking into consideration other factors like brands, types, etc.

I agree with other posters that the best thing to do would be to do a little tasting at a bar or at a party. It sucks wasting $20 on a bottle that you determine you absolutely hate at the first sip.

17. Craig Allen

Craig Allen Member

It would be more accurate to say that it illustrates the difference between a bourbon made with rye and one made with wheat, in addition to the usual corn and barley. But both distilleries are owned by Suntory.

[​IMG]

18. aknow

aknow Member

Bulleit Bourbon boy!

19. Rex Anderson

Rex Anderson Member

Wine is fine, but liquor is quicker....

Good cocktails:

Vodka:

with tonic and fresh lime
    Bloody Mary
    Screwdriver (orange juice)
    Cosmo (not really just a girly drink)
    Martini

Gin:

and tonic with lime
    Martini

Tequila:

Margarita
    Sunrise

Rum:

Zombie
    Mai Tai

Drink 'em straight up:

Scotch
    Cognac

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  20. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Member

Add me to the chorus recommending Lunazul. Aside from having an enjoyable taste and being a good bargain, its flavor is a good representation of tequila's characteristic flavor. It isn't complex but that sort of makes it a good introduction to the drink. If you don't enjoy it, the finer details and extra complexities of the higher end brands probably won't make the difference between liking and disliking tequila.

For the same reason I'd say try Very Old Barton bourbon. It isn't complex but it gives you a good idea what makes bourbon taste like bourbon as opposed to Scotch or Canadian or Irish whisky.

Ditto for Smirnoff vodka.

Rum is a little trickier to recommend. Bacardi is sort of like Cuervo: really well known and OK in mixed drinks but kind of grim and unpleasant for drinking straight. I wouldn't want to turn you off from all rums by suggesting one with a really distinctive "love it or hate it" flavor. I mean, I like black rums such as Gosling and Pussers but ..you know what? If you like dark, heavy, "big" beers those are probably a good way to go.

Gin if anything is even more varied than rum because of the added flavorings. I guess Tanqueray is a safe introduction to the characteristic flavor of gin.