What stacks well for leads in front of an OCD?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mtmartin71, Jun 13, 2008.

1. mtmartin71

mtmartin71 Silver Supporting Member

Here's my setup at the moment...

MI Crunch Box -> OCD -> Deeelay-> RC Booster -> Goodsell 17 or 2061x (both run clean or cleanish) -> 2061cx 2x12

I play a variety of guitars through this chain. The RC Booster is nice on the back end because it gives me a lead boost for both the Crunch Box and the OCD. I run the OCD in HP mode with gain at 12 oclock so it's a mid gain crunch and the Crunch Box is run a little over 12 for a heavier sound. I had tried the RC Booster first in line and it didn't play well with the Crunch Box but it did sound pretty cool with the OCD. The OCD is a great rhythym pedal but it doesn't sustain as well or step out with RC Booster on the back end. Since I'm running the OCD at the 50% mark gain wise, I figured I had room to get a good, distinct, sustainy lead tone by stacking something in front of it so my setup would look like...

New pedal -> OCD -> CB -> RC Booster -> Deeelay

The RC becomes a boost for either pedal but the new front end pedal becomes my lead tone for the majority of stuff. Needs to be able to increase the volume a bit though. Just changing the tone will bury me in the mix even with a mid boost. I'm competing on stage with 2 other guitars, keys, bass, and drums (along with vocals). Would a compressor work in this instance? Fuzz? Just want to narrow my search by asking those who have tried before me with their OCDs.

Thanks

2. bradw

bradw Member

I use a Bad Monkey in front of my OCD.

Level at 100%, tones to taste and gain at 0%

Works for me!

3. mtmartin71

That's a Tube Screamer type of circuit, right?

4. benjisaynomore

benjisaynomore Member

Yeah it is. You can also try a compressor at the front. This will solve your sustain issue. Micro amp is a cheap fix for a lead boost that is very transparent with a ton of boost on hand. I have one for sale in the emporium. I have an RC as well, they sound very similar...obviously the RC is a bit more versatile with the tone/gain knobs. Thus the letting go of the MXR micro amp.

5. somedude

somedude Member

I use a Fulldrive 2 after the OCD. I use it that way because the FD2 adds extra midrange and clairity to my lead tone that gets swallowed up by the OCD if I put it in front of it.

6. benjisaynomore

benjisaynomore Member

Sweet, do you boost the cleans with your OD's or is your amp set dirty to begin with?

I have an OCD V1.4 in the mail! Excited to see how it fits in with my Fulldrive 2! :dude

7. cameron

cameron Member

I like the RC Booster after the OCD. The little tiny bit of dirt that the RC provides fattens up nicely with the gain from the OCD stacked into it. The EQ controls on the RC also allow me to keep the boosted sound from getting too shrill.

8. mtmartin71

Fulldrive is a TS circuit too? Seems to be the prevailing recommendation so far.

9. mtmartin71

That's essentially how I've been running it. It does step out a little bit, but the OCD is not as liquid and sustainy and the RC doesn't really bring that. It punches the tone through which is good though. I'm just after a different flavor of lead for my OCD where it has more sustain and punch.

10. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

I like a screamer type circuit IN FRONT of my OCD for solos. I have used Fulldrive II, SRB 808, Keeley TS9, and currently use a MI Blues Pro and Barber Direct Drive (not a screamer type, but can do something similar) ALL with great success. I do not find any mids getting swallowed by the OCD and it's one pedal with enough headroom to really allow you to tune the OD pedal in front if it for the right amount of level increase for your solos.

11. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

the v2 version didn't like the fat boostered as much as it like a clean 808.

12. mtmartin71

I noticed the Blues Pro has a fuzz mode. How does it do as a fuzz pedal?

13. madscientist

madscientist Member

I've used both a Fulldrive in front of my OCD and a Pedalworx Tejas (which is an 808 type).

Both work great, though, I'm sticking with the tejas (Fulldrive was sold a while ago).

14. somedude

somedude Member

Both.

I'll boost my clean channel for some good old time rock and roll sounds or the dirty channel for some more sustain to my leads (I don't stack OD's pedals on the dirt channel though... it's a little bit too much of a good thing).

15. alnico2

alnico2 Member

Zendrive in front of the OCD worked better than the FD2 in my setup. Need to try the FD2 after the OCD.

16. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

sorry to be a bit late to the party but I agree with most of what has been said so far. Your choice of pedals so far has avoided the TS / mid heavier overdrives, which are generally where its at for a lead tone. Add some sort of a tube screamer- they have a good gain range, mid hump for a more "full and cutting" lead tone, and a LOAD of volume for boosting.

my top 3 choices:
    -A: Bad Monkey- good tone & cheap
    -B: Fulldrive 2- Good tone- I use it more on bands where I play more rhythm because I like its lower mids better for a crunchier tones, but I can do a great lead tone as well. GORGEOUS into an OCD, they seem to be literally made for each other at times.
    -C: Eternity- Cuts through amazing for leads, but I can't stack it well for rhythm tones. This is lead only pedal for me. Stacks well with OCD, but mostly I love it for leads at any gain level. Gorgeous compression too. Can be too bright at times for me though.

I have a Zen that I use more than any of the above, the chirp gives it clarity for sure. I don't typically think of it for this application though, its more of a character pedal for me- when I want a "clean overdrive." Great sustain and clarity and compression, but not much gain in my uses of it. Good balanced EQ. I love mine.

I'd probably start with a Fulldrive 2 if I was you...

17. somedude

somedude Member

After reading this thread I decided to swap my OCD and FD2 around so that the FD2 was in front.

I think if you're boosting a clean channel, and your OCD is your primary crunch box that the FD2 sounds better in front since the signal maintains the tone of the OCD, yet has a boost in mids, presence and sustain. I'm actually going to start using it this way from now on.

18. Isaiah4Autumn

Isaiah4Autumn Member

+1....:AOK

I stack the OCDv4 with my FD2 w/mosfet...use the vintage mode with mosfet for the boost...amazing

19. mtmartin71

Thanks to everyone that responded. I decided to go with a MI Blues Pro which is a Tube Screamer type of circuit (like the FD2). I thought about the FD2 but it's a larger box and I don't need the other boost function as I already have a dedicated boost.

20. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Probably a good choice-the comp-cut mode is the best part of the FDII and it's similar to a boost so for TS sounds, I'd look elsewhere. I still have my FDII, and only use the comp-cut mode, and have a Maxon Od808 which does the TS thing better imo. I'm thinking of getting a boost to replace the FDII if I could find one as good or better than the comp-cut mode that takes up less space-maybe an RC boost.