what stompbox for DeathMetal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by morbid, Feb 21, 2012.

1. morbid

morbid Member

Hey guys,

what pedal would you recommend for primarily death metal, with the occasional black metal salute??

I am particularly looking for that Cannibal Corpse/Morbid Angel tone. fast, articulated, menacing, biting, rich pitch-harmonic screams, gut-crushing rhythms, nice Dark and spook.:mob nothing fuzzy/muddy/hissy/lo-calorie-dietary

I am using :
    1 -GUITAR: B.C.Rich (LA.California-#B9742)
    2- AMP: Peavy Classic Chorus 212 @150watts RMS (w/ 2x12"-Scorpion @75w-RMS each), very loud cutting, and powerful, solid gain when fully saturated, but its missing that 'little something' to make it crush..

my budget is tight (200-300 max us$), and i spent enough of my rather limited cash on distortions that weren't "IT"...:worried:bitch:worried

obviously, if money wasn't an issue (and times are a bit tough..),i would get a 5150/6505 in an eye blink, but is there anything that comes close?

thanks in advance, much appreciated.. you are all awesome!:bow

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  2. AlisterHag

AlisterHag Member

Maybe look into the WMD Acoustic Trauma. Built in noise gate, lots of fun knobs.

Also check out Menatone's None More Black pedal.

There's plenty of great options

3. CrunchBerry

CrunchBerry Member

Check out the Wampler Triple Wreck. That thing has got massive amounts of gain and remains pretty tight and articulate throughout the range. I really like the pedal, as it does scooped great and does lots of mids awesome as well. It sounds to me like it is from the Recto vein, but I have read others compare it to a 5150/6505. I have a 5150 and think the TW is less raw and remains tighter at higher gains than the amp, which I prefer.

It can be had new for $280 and used for much less.

There are tons of great options.

Just my .02

4. Shredmonster

Shredmonster Member

Check out the Amptweaker Tight Metal. Amazing pedal.

5. billboy73

billboy73 Member

Seconding the Wampler Triple Wreck, sounds really nice, and has lots of gain.

6. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

I can't say that I have tried to approach that sound with pedals. My advice would be to choose a high gain pedal and place an EQ pedal after it so that you sculpt your tone as precisely as you want and need (starting with the famous mid scoop). A suggestion, and a pedal I would really like to own someday, is the Boss Heavy Metal (famous in the old days of death and black):

It's vintage though, and you'll have to get it as a 2nd hand one. Others might be better (for example the Okko Dominator), but for that purpose I would like to own something that is a but more "trash"-y since death metal would... probably die a 2 second time :D if somebody tried to associate it with anything boutique.

7. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

This is a very good answer.

8. analogsystem

analogsystem Member

For $300 you might find a used Mesa V-Twin pedal.

9. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

Just a thought, but what if you sold your current amp and put all the money towards a used 5150, something along those lines.

For that style of music, I always felt a simple pedal wasn't as effective.

Our music go round has an old Crate Blue Voodoo Head for $250.

10. vulcaniza P

vulcaniza P Member

he could be right.....
    however
    have u thought about using a pod or similiar such device?

11. TimSt.L

TimSt.L Member

The mxr full bore metal is amazing for the dynamics involved in alot of death metal. It also has a built in noise gate that's works perfect right out of the box AND a mid scoop.
    It is very much worth checking out.

12. tonejunky

tonejunky Member

Barber Dirty Bomb is a pretty nice hi-gain pedal.

13. Shredmonster

Shredmonster Member

Dude I am telling ya - for what you want the Amptweaker Tight Metal. Nothing comes close.

MXR Fullbore pales in comparison. I A/B'd them both. MXR sounded good until you put a Tight Metal next to it. Amptweaker has studio quality sound. It is all there - harmonics, sustain, tone....

Fast, articulate, controllable, built in noise gate... it is all there. You can adjust sag on the thing !

No fuzz, no buzz, no hiss, no noise. You can get controlled feedback with it.

Nothing touches the Amptweaker - not the OKKO, nothing Barber makes, not ZVEX.... Barber Dirty Bomb - have one of those too and it is a nice pedal but won't come close to what you want. I have had a lot of these pedals and played with guys that have had a lot more than I.

Amptweaker is literally a 5150 in a pedal. Designed by the same engineer. Nothing like it on the market. Do the research on it. Look at youtube. Look at the reviews.

People telling you on here that a pedal won't do it have never played one of these. I have. Extensively. It is nothing short of stunning.

In the past I would have told you the same thing - that a pedal won't do it. That has changed. I had it hooked up to a Crate 60W digital, a Marshall Class 5 and a VHT Pitbull. The thing kills.

You won't need an eq with it.

Bar none the absolute best pedal in its genre period.

$180 better than any $200 - $600 pedal out there. And this is no exaggeration. Take it from someone who has played it.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  14. cheameup

cheameup Member

keeley MT2 and an mxr 10 band eq

15. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

Amptweaker Tight metal
    Rivera Metal Shaman

Cant go wrong with either

16. justonwo

justonwo Member

Why a Menatone None More Black of course.

17. bobbyatomic

bobbyatomic Member

Goosoniqueworx Sevetheaven

18. BootRoots

BootRoots Supporting Member

Landmine Distortion.

19. cheameup

cheameup Member

just looked and your amp has an effects loop

get a mxr 10 band eq and put it in the effects loop . it will give you so much more control and most likely you will be able to sculpt the distortion your not happy with into what you want

its a must for very heavy stuff IMHO

20. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

definitely an EQ

..i just got the 10band EQ and it is just nuts.
    you have no idea how much control this pedal has in the FX loop
    i have no idea why i didn't get one sooner.
    it's always on!

the best thing is that you can mix and match ANY pedal with it.
    clean/OD/heavy distortion
    ..before the distortion/after the distortion/in the fx loop......

crazy!