What strap are you using on your 335 or SG?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jfwund, Feb 18, 2012.

1. jfwund

jfwund Member

Awkward strap button placement and all that. I'm thinking about a 3-inch leather strap that's a bit thick, but I'd like to see/hear what other people are doing for their 335 or SG...

2. Bhodie

Bhodie Member

I use an older, super soft, 3 inch Moody. The key on a 335 is to reverse the top strap button (put it on the strap from the opposite direction as the bottom one) to prevent twist.

3. chucke99

chucke99 Member

I have a few guitars with the strap button behind the neck, and I prefer to put a strap lock system on them.

4. joemilitello

joemilitello Member

All of the above for me- super soft leather strap, reversed, with a strap lock.

5. bikeracr

bikeracr Supporting Member

On mine, I have a custom-made heavy black padded leather strap with strap locks. Looks great & won't ever come off.

6. wilblee

wilblee Hack sans shame Gold Supporting Member

4" Italia with reversed Dunlop Straploks on my 335. Super comfortable - very secure.

7. gatheredenergy

gatheredenergy Member

reverse straplok with a 2'' super soft leather strap made by Rock SteadY

8. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

This is one of the reasons I traded away my SG Classic and prefer an ES-137 over a 335. I just had my luthier install an extra strap button on the upper horn of my 58RI LP Jr DC, and it's a huge improvement in how the guitar balances on a strap. Sometimes it's the little things that matter most.

9. Deathmonkey

Deathmonkey Member

I actually have a bunch of the Gibson "Black Beauty" straps I use with my LPs and SGs. I have a few tooled vintage style straps I use with my Carvin Holdsworths, that also have the strap button behind the heel. As mentioned, I reverse the straplocks.

The key is to pay attention to length. I bought some guitar straps recently that turned out to be unthinkably short - I don't know who could use them, unless you wore your guitar like a bra. Dunlop straps are long (and adjustable), and their nylon ones are super sturdy. Just bought me a mess of those, and couldn't be happier for a >$20 strap.