What strap fits over PRS strap buttons?

shood

I have a new PRS and none of my straps fit over the large strap buttons. What leather straps will fit over the strap buttons AND fit under the buttons -- without the need to cut / tear / mods in other ways (and without the need to remove the buttons and replace them over the strap).

Many thanks!

Sean

Carbohydrates

I've used a relatively thick leather strap with success, it just takes some real doing to get on and off. If you're not interested in a quick swap, you can do it Gretsch style and remove the button to put your strap on. My ultimate solution was to switch to Schaller strap locks, which drop right in on a PRS - you can even use the original PRS strap button screws to attach them.

cosmic_ape

Resident Lefty of Doom
Silver Supporting Member
No leather, but my Mono Betty Strap does the trick.

Also, strap locks.

JohnK24

Silver Supporting Member
I have a new PRS and none of my straps fit over the large strap buttons. What leather straps will fit over the strap buttons AND fit under the buttons -- without the need to cut / tear / mods in other ways (and without the need to remove the buttons and replace them over the strap).

Many thanks!

Sean
I just took them off (watch out, that screw is probably 2.5" long !) and threw on some Dunlop strap locks. I didn't like fighting my strap onto the stock buttons.

Reactions: C-4

shood

I've read a number of posts saying that various PRS straps DO NOT work well with the strap buttons short of breaking out an xacto.

What Planet Waves strap fits over the buttons?

C-4

I just took them off (watch out, that screw is probably 2.5" long !) and threw on some Dunlop strap locks. I didn't like fighting my strap onto the stock buttons.

I have on order a private stock 594, which I won't get until maybe mid year or later. I told the dealer, from which I ordered it, to take those half dollar strap buttons off and install some Dunlop mushroom-shaped strap loks before sending it to me.

They told me that most players using the PRS strap loks unscrew the strap button, slip the strap over the inner part of the button and re-screw the button back onto the guitar. I personally don't want that as the guitar will not lie comfortably in the case.

I slip the strap over the Dunlap strap loks, and then put the locking mechanism back into the strap lok end. This way, I get the protection against the strap falling off, and I'm not tied to committing one strap to the guitar, and/or banging the end of the strap with the locking part on it into the guitar.

I have not seen up close and personal, a PRS strap, but I wonder if those straps have a larger cut where the strap fits over those PRS strap buttons easily.

abaroid

I've heard that the PRS strap button was designed for the strap from one of these ;0)
extra-large-vintage-chestnut-belting-leather-briefcase-backpack-6001-18t-b3-1000x800.jpg

bob-i

I've used several leather straps on my PRS guitars. None go on easily and some needed to be cut but I like the strap buttons. The larger buttons really hold the straps well, no need for strap locks.

shood

Well, I've ordered some more strap lock buttons. I have Schallers on most of my guitars. I wanted to give these buttons a go, but tonight I see that trying to get one of my other straps to fit a couple of nights ago resulted in a strap that won't work on it's original guitar (the leather's stretched) and won't stay securely on the PRS.

Thanks, all, for your input.

olgluefoot

All straps work. Just unscrew the buttons and put the strap "over" the button from behind and screw the button back in. You won't need strap locks.

Edit: Sorry, just read your entire post and you specifically mention not wanting to take them off. You may be sitting down the whole time.

Last edited:

Serious Poo

Finding beauty in the dissonance
Platinum Supporting Member
They're string guides from old Fender Bass guitars. If you have a challenge putting a strap over then, just loosen the screw 1/8 inch, put the strap over it and tighten. I've got super thick 4" Moody leather straps on several of my PRS's and they're not coming off for nobody. I've never needed strap locks.

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member

Many thanks!

Sean

Levy's

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
My experience with the PRS buttons is the strap needs to be thin and flexible. After you've used it and removed and reattached it a few dozen times, they break in. I ordered one of the padded PRS steps and had to cut it, but the thinner Levy glove leather ones work once they're broken in.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom