What String Gauge for Stoner/Doom on a Strat?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Stratm69, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Stratm69

Stratm69 Member

I have a Strat with EMG SA's and a Boss GE-7, when dialed in it properly it makes a great humbucker sound that I'm impressed with. Amp is a Mesa Rectifier with various dirt and fuzz.

I wish to tune it down to C#, but want to keep relatively strong tension, I don't want floppy, slanky strings.

I know I may need a neck adjustment and some re-intonating too.

I've been looking at the Ernie Ball Beefy Slinkys, I believe they are 11/52. Would this be a good place to start?

I've been looking at a Digitech Drop, that would be a shortcut route. But for the money, just changing string gauge and a little fiddling sounds cheaper.

2. sleewell

sleewell Member

3. Muzik4Machines

Muzik4Machines Member

i usually go for 12-54 (EXL-145) for anything, good down to C, below that i would need a baritone or 8 strings guitar

Smashies likes this.
  4. Stratm69

Stratm69 Member

I currently use 10/46, would it be a major jump to the 11/52's? It's going to be tuned down fairly low

I'm going for some Tony Iommi Master of Reality tone.

5. drabombs

drabombs Member

I would say part of the sound is the strings being a little floppy. Just my opinion and there's exceptions I'm sure. The beefy slinkys sound like a good place to start. I tune one guitar down to B and eventually settled on 59, using the D'addario 7 string pack. Through trial and error, you'll find what you like. Iommi uses very light strings, 9-42 for C#.

6. Stratm69

Stratm69 Member

I think I might give them a go. Luckily I have all my fingertips, so bending heavy strings is something I can train on. I just want a heavier gauge without the flop when detuned.

7. olejason

olejason Supporting Member

When you say doom what kind of sounds are you talking about? If you're doing modern stuff like Bongripper or Monolord some slop in the strings can sound really good. You never really want things to be too tight or defined sounding in doom.

8. ummohyeah

ummohyeah Member

I tune down to C# with a Jag. I use 12's to tighten things up. With the longer scale, you might want to try 11's so you still have some flexibility.

9. Stratm69

Stratm69 Member

Sleep comes to mind!