1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

what string sparkles like a d'addario, but isn't? (body chemistry)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rorschah, Jan 14, 2006.

1. rorschah

rorschah Member

So, having gone early in my career through some super cheapie brands and GHS and Ernie Ball and D'addario, I quickly settled on D'addario strings - like the sparkle and all that. For acoustic and electric.

I've found, though, that my skin chemistry rots D'addarios faster some other string brands. It isn't my imagination. I thought I'd have to go Elixir, which I don't like, but a some brands of regular strings seem to stand up to my sweat. Yes, I wipe them after ever playing.

I bought this great used Guild that has some strings on it that sound perfect, and aren't rotting at all. But no one knew what strings were on it at the shop. They like a little reddish-bronzier then most strings I know.

So what other strings have D'addario-like sparkle, but aren't?

(Whatever string Yamaha puts on their cheapie guitars, incidentally, doesn't sound super-great, but seems impervious to my skin sweat. I rot D'addarios in about a week, but these babys have been on my guit for 4 months and there's some wear, but no corroded rot.)

Thanks!

-thi

2. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

I like GHS Boomers a LOT better than D'addario. For premium strings I like Snake Oils and DR.

3. midnight-to-six

midnight-to-six Member

You might want to try the Everly Rockers. Similar (to me, anyway) to the D'addarios in terms of string tension, pretty long lasting, though a tad on the bright side.

4. landru64

landru64 Member

which model of d'addarios are you talking about? it's not like all d'addarios are made of the same stuff, so you have to be specific.

5. justicetones

justicetones Member

I use and LOVE only Snake Oil Brand strings now. With a few exceptions I used D'Addario XL110's for the past 10 years.

I have read that cleaning the strings with lighter fluid can help to neutralize the acid's in sweat. I have done this after someone else in a session used one of my guitars. They sweat quite a bit. I don't at all pretty much. My strings felt pretty funky but they cleaned up well. Two Months later they are still on my guitar and don't sound dead yet at all.

6. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I don't think any of those brands are 'cheapies'. Mainstream, yes. Inexpensive, yes, but mainly because of the economies of scale...large scale. I love EB Slinkys where I need bright s/a my Teles and Strats. They sound great, and at least for me, seem more durable than most. Best of all, they're available everywhere, and again, INEXPENSIVE...not cheap. AC

7. rorschah

rorschah Member

I'm using EXL110 - XL electric guitar strings, nickel wound, regular light gauge.

I didn't say that GHS and Ernie Ball were the cheapies. I was talking about other strings, that I used to pull out of a bargain bin at the local guitar shop. Real cheapies.

I've tried the lighter fluid thing. I hate the way it makes the strings feel.

I've tried GHS's - they don't rot as fast as D'addario's, but they seem - middier and cleaner and less sparkly. I like sparkly.

Can't afford Snake Oils regularly. Grad student, me.

Thanks!

-thi

8. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

I like the tone & longevity of Optima Gold strings. They have a real gold coating that might help with your body chemistry. They sound sparkly but not harsh. The down side is they are fairly expensive....best price I've found is $19/set. But, when I factor in the 3X longevity I get, that makes them around $6/set, relatively speaking.

9. oxtone

oxtone Member

+1 on Everly B-52 Rockers, made from Alloy 52 (52% Nickel). They feel much better than D'Addario, and are more stable in tuning. Last a long time, too.

Can get them at: www.stingitup.com.

10. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Sorry rorschah, read to hastily. Tried DR Pure Blues yet? Others like them specifically for their durability, I like them for their smooth round (high nickel content) tone. Reasonably priced, and found nearly everywhere. AC

11. Highway Jones

Highway Jones Supporting Member

I've found DR Tite Fits to be a good compromise with tone and longevity.

12. atalog

atalog Member

I love Snake Oil Strings. To me they feel "fresh" for a longer time.

13. 85db

85db Member

I was gonna buy it but when I read that it's an "advanced state liquid polymer which molecularly bonds to strings", I was no longer so sure I wanted to add even more chemicals to our already chemically-polluted way of life. I'm probably just a chicken but I have my reasons and no longer want to take chances with unknown chemical compounds.

14. fyler

fyler Member

i switched from the d'addarios to snake oil rock formula & haven't looked back. they actually end up costing me less because they last so much longer. my current set has been on there since october & they still sound and feel great.

15. dave s

dave s Member

Give this string set a try: SIT Nickel Power Wound.

Nice balance of sparkle, soft feel and string life.

dave

16. papersoul

papersoul Member

How do you guys keep your snake oils clean? Maybe it is my body chemisty but I kill the wound strings fast...especially the low E!

17. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

I agree about D'addarios. I used to use them on my 6120 - 10-52s. In summer the low-E was dead by the first break. I sweat a bit but don't generally kill strings like some of my friends do!

Switched to Ernie Balls and problem solved. Still change them every gig in summer, every second gig in winter.

I have a friend who just has to look at my guitar and the strings turn black and fall off. Well, nearly.

18. drolling

drolling Member

'Nother vote for SOBs - Yeah, it feels like a massive hit when you plunk down the cash. but they DO last twice as long.

And it's not just that they feel/sound great - What I really love is that they don't need aggressive stretching, sound broken in right away, and stay that way for a long, long time.

Best of all, tho', is their stability - they really do seem to stay in tune better than any other string I've used.

Worth every penny, IMO, and I'm presently just scraping by, income-wise..

19. fyler

fyler Member

all i do is wipe them down with a scrap of an old Tshirt after playing...and my last set lasted me longer than a year!
    Dean sells some Chapin polish/cleaner that he swears will extend the life of the Snakes even longer.

20. Scott Cioe

Scott Cioe Member

I used to use D'Addario (xl120) and EB Slinkys. I have for the past year, been using Gibson Les Paul and Brite Wire strings.

I get about four times the life out of them! Probably due to chemistry in additon to the fact that they are vacuum packed - no oxidation while sitting on a shelf somewhere.

Try the brite wires, as they are the brighter of the two listed...You might like 'em!