What strings brands and gauges do you use - and why?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rorschah, Jun 28, 2005.

1. rorschah

rorschah Member

I'm curious about what folks are using on which of their guitars, and why.

Curious because I recently switched my tele from D'addario 10's, which is what I've been using on most of my guitars, to 12's, intending to do some slide on it, and it totally changed my *style* of play. I play it harder, meaner, and nastier - I'm not sure if it's just because the string feels like it can take it. Sometimes I think the big strings bring out something nasty and growly in that particular Tele, which I love, so I start slapping it around more to push it down there.

-thi

2. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

On my electrics I use either Snake Oil or Gibson Vintage Reissue, both are vintage style nickel strings. I use .011s on my 335 and telecaster style guitars. On my jazz guitar (175 style) I use Gibson flats in .012 gauge. I can hardly play an electric guitar with .009 gauge strings.

Bryan

3. Garrett Bagby

Garrett Bagby Member

I've tried a bunch of different brands, but keep going back to D'Addario XL's for the most part. I typically go with 10's tuned standard because they sound and feel better than 9's. I used 11's for a while, but found my hands get fatigued faster.

Here's the breakdown:

PRS CU24: 10-46. Not too light, not too heavy.

Strat 1: 10-52. I like the extra thump of the big wound strings on Strats

Strat 2: 11-54. See above, but I keep this one tuned flat so I like the extra tension out of the 11's. I use the "Just Strings" brand for this set. Sound good.

USACG S Hollow: 11-49. Also tuned flat, so again I like the extra tension and fat sound.

PRS HBII: 11-49. Tuned flat. Same as above.

Ibanez Talman: Currently 11-49, but I don't play this one much. Have yet to decide what to do with it.

4. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Snake Oil Brand Vintage formula 009"s . Best I have ever played they sound great and last a very long time.

5. rorschah

rorschah Member

I should answer, too:

American Strat: D'addario 10's. Haven't tried anything else on it, after I pulled off the crappy (new) strings that I got on it. These're perfect - bloomy, harmonic, rich.

Mexican Tele: D'addario 12's. I like the thickness and the brightness and responsiveness, but I somehow have a feeling that the evil crunch of this guitar might be served better by another make.

Yamaha 335 copy: D'addario 11's. There were some GHS Boomers on this awhile ago, they sort of killed it. Made it sound really flat and cool and non-warm.

Ibanez Artist: I've been switching around strings. D'addario's seem to bring out that LP'y hollowness, but seem a little too... smooth. This, like the Tele, seems to yearn to be nastier. Gonna try DR's next, maybe.

6. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

Another SnakeOil string user. Vintage 11-50. They feel amazing

7. whitehall

whitehall Member

..10-46"s on everything. I like the same gauge on all my guitars . That way the strings are the constant, and the guitars are different. I like Electro harmonix. They are not real popular ,or easy to find. In fact, I fear one day they will just stop making them.

8. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

I also use 11's...I prefer DR's but if I can't get them I'll go with Gibson Vintage Reissue.....I don't really like to change strings that often, and kind of prefer the sound of broken in strings

9. rorschah

rorschah Member

I wipe off my strings once in a while and try to scrape off the muck that accumulates, but my strings corrode pretty quickly. You that like broken in strings, how do you take care of your strings?

Maybe I just have evil sweat.

-thi

10. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

D'Addar "e-i-e-i-o" 9.5 's (EXL120+) , just right , 3 sets $10.

11. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

Pyrmiad (?) 10 guage. I got a set at NAMM. Is thrity bucks for a set of strings worth it? Like I said I bought them at NAMM in January. Its now the end of June and I haven't changed yet. They still have a great tone. I really like the feel. When you play and bend, you can really "feel" them. If I wear them out, I may purchase a set. But at this time, there just not ready.

12. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Snake Oil Brand "Rock" sets - .10-.46 on all my electric guitars.

I dig the feel, tone and how long they last. And I was a very satisfied D'Addario user for well over 20 years. Snake Oil for me baby!

13. DRAGON523

DRAGON523 Member

I've always used D'Addario 9's or 10's. I like how they sound and how they feel. They also last a long time. Any time I try a different brand of strings, they just don't feel/sound right.

14. alderbody

alderbody Member

Snake oil 11's...

the best i've ever played!

:AOK

15. Ken I

Ken I Silver Supporting Member

D'Addario 10-46, played 11-49 for a couple of years but recently switched back to 10's. like the feel better and don't really notice a major difference in tone.

16. LavaMan

LavaMan Gold Supporting Member

Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky - 9-46. I have tried several other brands but for some reason I keep coming back to these - I think it's because I've been using these strings for 25 years...Although, I think I am going to try the Snake Oil, Sfarzo, and Knucklehead Strings as these seem to be getting great reviews.

17. Redbell

Redbell Member

Well, I guess I'm the odd duck here but I use Elixers Nanowebs 9-42 or 10-46 on all my stuff. Anybody else like the Elixers?

18. PolyMorf

PolyMorf Member

+1

Easy bending on the tops and better tone on the lowers

Regards,

Harry

19. kev

kev Member

Snake Oil Brand Original Nickel .11-.48 for my electrics
    Snake Oil Brand PBM .13-.56 on my acoustics

Simply the best strings I've had on any of my guitars, especially the longer they are on each guitar.

kev

20. Cybercat

Cybercat Member

I used DR & Pyramids for over 10 years but changed to Snake Oil Brand just over a year ago.
    (...& won't be changing back!)

10-46 on the Strats & 11-48 on the shorter scale Les Pauls, so as to get similar tension/playability on all the guitars.

* rorschah - I remove crud & keep the strings clean with Zippo (or Ronsonol) lighter fluid after every gig or practice, & occasionally use GHS "FastFret".

I've been told by from several friends that the very best product to clean strings & keep 'em fresh is Bill Chapin's "Fine Guitar Gloss". I've not tried it myself yet...
    - anyone out there use it?