What strings brands and gauges do you use - and why?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rorschah, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Makten

Makten Guest

Yeah, there is actually a big difference in tone when you get up to these guages... A bit tricky to play at first, but I'm not a shredder, so I really prefer great tone before playability.
    I have app. 3,0 mm string height on low E at 12:th fret... That is about 0.12 inches. When you get used to it, it's not any trouble playing. At least not if you're not a shredder. ;)

I'd like to have a set similar to the EB "beefy slinky", but with a .020" 3:rd string... Wonder if there is something near that?

2. d7music

d7music Member

On my bass: Elixir Nanoweb five string Med XLong scale

On my acoustic: Elixir Nanoweb Medium Gauge

I use them because they don't break as often as others I have tried.

3. bobgoblin

bobgoblin Member

thomastik-infeld george benson series flats 14-55 on my jazz boxes, 12-54 on my tele-style. i like 'em thick...

4. BrownDog

BrownDog Member

...for the last 3 years, DR Pure Blues, 10s.

With tone and oneness, Mike.

5. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

you're insane bob.

6. discountsounds

discountsounds Member

I'm surprised no one has spoken up to say they use Webstrings. I used to use Boomers and I've tried lots of other typical brands and Webstrings sound just as good, but they're only $2.35 a pack when you buy 2 dozen. Even if you only buy one pack, they're still only $2.85. Spend at least $12.00 and they ship for free.

Doesn't anyone else use them? (www.webstrings.com)

As for gauge - 11's all the way. Love that thick tone and I'm no shredder, either.

How much does a set of Snake Oil strings run? I can't find any prices on the website. In addition to being long lasting, are they less likely to break than regular nickel plated strings?

7. jreardon

jreardon Member

I use a mix of PRS, Fender & Gibson. I detest long life strings as I find them too dull and lifeless for my tastes.

8. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Member

11s or 12s on both my Bakers and my Lentz Tele, 13s on my '53 175...

I've been using Snake Oil strings and have been quite happy with them, and I also have Thomastik-Infelds (the 13s) and have been happy with them, as well...

I much prefer the heavier strings. They DO affect how you play, and I am much more comfortable with them.

9. 563

563 Guest

Count me in the heavier string camp. D'Addario 12's.

The main reasons I started using 12's and 13's is because I like a wrapped 3rd, and often tune down a bit.

I use D'Addario XL's because after trying many other brands, I like the sound of them best.

10. Tchello

Tchello Member

For me the best ones are Fender 10 to 46's.

11. ABKB

ABKB Member

I like the DR's only because they seem to just work and sound good right out of the box. Doesnt need too long of a working in period. I havent tried the Snake oils, but after reading this I will give em a shot. As to gauge, I'm a lazy man using 9's. 10's and higher do sound better, but to my ears they just dont make a big enough difference to get rid of the comfort of 9's.

12. aeolian

aeolian Member

I love DR's for my bass. But I recently tried some on my Strat. Hated them. Clangy sounding. Much like the Smiths I had on the bass before switching to the DR's. Worse was that I had horrible tuning problems. Intonation was bad and for some reason they wouldn't stay in tune. Put them on 4 days before a gig and the leader asked if I had new strings as I was retuning all night. I can put a set of D'Addario's on a half hour before showtime, stretch them out carefully and they stay in tune all set.

Here's the stretching trick. Instead of grabbing it in the middle and yanking wildly, hold the string with both hands, and your thumbs about 3 inches apart. Gently pull up with one hand and push down with the other to pull on the string in that little 3 inch area three or four times. Then move down the string. I start over the pickups, work my way down to the nut, and back up to the pickups. Once or twice up and down the string is all it takes. And you won't be breaking high E strings in a frantic rush to stretch them out before the set. From a physics standpoint of the tension on the string this doesn't make sense to me, but it works.

13. rod horncastle

rod horncastle Member

I've used many brands over the years (rusted them all baddd, in 1 night) especially ghs boomers, nickel rockers, also slinky's and an assortment of dean markleys and d'addario's. I just put John Pearce electric (10 - 46) on my tele and they've been through 3 gig's and many band practises. That's the best record in 20 years of playin' for me. And stilllllll... no rust.

John Pearce are popular here in Canada, I don't know if they're big in the states or not? but i'm really impressed. I'm gonna order some snake oils soon.

14. tommyg

tommyg Member

I've been using D'Addario's nickel strings for a long time now: XL's 10-46. However, I do like to use Fender Bullets (10-46) for the Strat; it locks in the tremelo and stays in tune better than regular ball-end strings. Had a bad batch of D'Addario's though - the strings wouldn't stay in tune.

Other Strings I used included:
    1) DR's Nickels (10's) - great tone!.
    2) Darco Funky's - good cheap string! Martin makes these and they're easy to bend.
    3) On my Yairi CY-2 acoustic I use Kaman or GHS Silk 'n Steels 11-48.
    4)On my old dreadnaught I used Martin Marquise 13 - 52. Nice full sound but I don't think they last too long. I then switched to regular Martin Acoustic bronze. Those strings are great for cross-picking bluegrass and country lines!

15. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Member

I am using VINCI 010-046 on all of my guitars,these are by far the best strings I've ever used and I've used them all,and they also come in rust protective vacum packs.
    I used to use 011-048 Pyramids for years but I actually prefer the twangier tone of 010's nowdays.The PYRAMIDS are killer string too if you prefer the warmer tone of pure nickel.
    The Vincis are great because they feel like pure nickels (very smooth & low tensioned) but sound a bit brighter,but still warm,than pn strings.

16. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

What Nick said! Found some Vincis by accident on closeout for cheap. bouht a few sets. Tried them on a couple of guitars and went back and bought out the rest of their inventory of .9's and 10's.

I have yet to try the snake oils, but so far, the Vincis are the best sounding, best feeling and longest lasting string I've had the pleasure to use.

Recently picked up some Fender nickels on sale. Not bad. I still prefer the Vinci's for tone, feel and longevity, but these were certainly acceptible.

In the past, Ernie Balls, D'Adarios, Darco, D&R, Elixer and whatever I could find on sale filled the bill. Usually .9's or 10's depending on the guitar and how much I've been playing.

13-56 on acoustic. A friend gave me a butt load of $1.50 a set wonders he procured from Fatdog.

17. cswolfe

cswolfe Guest

Dean Markeley blue steel 11-52s on all guitars except for PRS Hollowbodies and arcthops, which are 13-whatever, Dean Markeley blue steel.

Not 100% in love with the tone, but the huge bottom end is nice (standard tuning) and I've never seen strings get in tune more quickly.

I'd try snake oils but I don't want to go to lighter lower strings.

Edit: Incredibly nice to see so many guys using 11s. Man. Hang out on the PRS board too long and you think you're the only one.

18. KoaFreak

KoaFreak Member

DR Tite Fit 10-46 for years and years, looking forward to trying the Dime High Voltage series 10-46 as well.

19. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

I use Curt Mangan strings.

10-46 on the Tele, 13-56 on the strat (for slide). I'm in their artist program and I get good deals. I get two gigs and a practice out of most sets, on the tele and two gigs and two practices out of the Strat sets.

Yeah, I play 'em pretty hard.

Curt Mangan Strings

20. Jo

Jo Member

Oh really? You've obviously not been paying attention to what others use then.

11's, 12's and 13's for me!