• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

What strings do I want?

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
I'm looking for strings that are:
  • lightly coated/last a long while
  • start out brighter than most and stay bright but with fullness, too
  • cost is no object!
I'm using Elixer Nanoweb PB Custom Lights now. Truthfully, I dig 'em and would be happy to keep buying them. But I suffer from the disease TGP calls always seeking yet better tone. :p

Thanks for all suggestions!

Harald

Thomastik-infeld power brights?
Not coated in the plastic cover sense, but unwound strings should be bronzed just like on their blues sliders which is what I usually use. They last me about a year.

zombywoof

A Tone Hound rather than a Tone Found, huh? No recommendation as I prefer Newtones. When it comes to coated strings though Elixer, Cleartone, DR Dragon Skins. Curt Mangans and whatever will have their subtle differences. Try them all and you are bound to stumble on one that works best for you.

Route67

In terms of coated that last a long while, Elixir* works for many, but I’ve had problems with the emergence of the synthetic silk coating revealing itself outside of the wind.

If you’re happy with them, you are in good company/ it’s a popular choice.

Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful.

*correct spelling

Last edited:

jklotz

Silver Supporting Member
I normally use Elixir nano PB's. I'm trying out the new D'Adarrio XS PB's and so far I like them. I have a fan fret guitar that was a tad muddy with Elixir's and seems to have gained some clarity with these new strings. Only downside is the price.

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
Thanks, everyone. I just ordered a couple of sets of Elixer Nanoweb 80/20s to try them out. I'll let y'all know in a couple of weeks what they sound like to me.

TwoHandsTenThumbs

Gold Supporting Member
I’ve been using the D’Addario EXP Phosphor Bronze strings for the past decade or so. After the first day, pretty indistinguishable in sound from their regular PB strings (which I like a bunch), minus excessive squeaks. I have the sort of sweat that generally kills strings, but I get good longevity with the EXPs.

s2y

I have used D'Addario EXP and coated Mangan strings. Both sounded good, but didn't last half as long as Elixirs.

Tony Done

EB Aluminium Bronze are bright and long-lasting compared to my regular strings, JP or D'Addario phos bronze.

bloozeman1

Silver Supporting Member
I'm looking for strings that are:
  • lightly coated/last a long while
  • start out brighter than most and stay bright but with fullness, too
  • cost is no object!
I'm using Elixer Nanoweb PB Custom Lights now. Truthfully, I dig 'em and would be happy to keep buying them. But I suffer from the disease TGP calls always seeking yet better tone. :p

Thanks for all suggestions!
Ive went down the TGP hole too of always buying something else over something that already works. Stick with the elixir, trust me you will go back to them. If I could have back all the money I wasted and spent on reading TGP posts of other equipment and not sticking with what I already had which was perfect, searching for better tone, Id have a about 6k saved in my bank account right now if not a little more

rmolinaro

I highly recommend Santa Cruz Parabolic Low Tension. I posted about these earlier today. Ive been playing for 40 years and these are hands down the best strings I've encountered. By far. Check them out

hotei

I’ve just tried a set of Martin Monels and Curt Mangin monels and like them. They’re not coated but naturally resist corrosion.

Drewski

Gold Supporting Member
I have settled on exactly what you already use! I use them on my dread (D-18) and on my OM size ('70 FG150) with amazing results. I stayed away from coated strings, and traded for a guitar that had them on and loved them. I dont even try anything else anymore. Ive tried everything, and love the Nanoweb PBs.

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
Ive went down the TGP hole too of always buying something else over something that already works. Stick with the elixir ...
"There are two kinds of fools. One says, 'Old, and therefore good.' The other says, 'New, and therefore better.' " [Attributed variously]

I can always return to my to-know-preferred Elixer Nanoweb PBs. But if I never again experiment, I close myself off to potential improvements.

As I've already posted, I shall next try the Elixer Nanoweb 80/20s.

jklotz

Silver Supporting Member
"There are two kinds of fools. One says, 'Old, and therefore good.' The other says, 'New, and therefore better.' " [Attributed variously]

I can always return to my to-know-preferred Elixer Nanoweb PBs. But if I never again experiment, I close myself off to potential improvements.

Like I said, give the brand new D'Adarrio XS a try. I'm a long time Elixir user, happily I might add, and these are the 1st coated strings I've tried that might actually be better.

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
Like I said, give the brand new D'Adarrio XS a try. I'm a long time Elixir user, happily I might add, and these are the 1st coated strings I've tried that might actually be better.
You’ve convinced me to try a set!

bloozeman1

Silver Supporting Member

I can agree with that.

Trending Topics