What strings do you find have the least tension?

still.ill

If they all are the same gauge.

DR always feels much easier to play than D'adds for me. Same with Curt Mangan strings

BarryE

Silver Supporting Member
Actually found that the Fender brand strings seem the easiest to play on my Teles.

woof*

Is there actual scientific evidence tension varies from brand to materials for a string of the same gauge?
I'm curious if it's true, and how much is noticeable. I've been playing for decades and have never noticed this. Not saying it's untrue. I have noticed tension differences between guitars, even the same type..I own two strats that are completely unlike each other in string tension. Just never noticed between string brands.

imaxeman69

When I put Cobalt strings on, they seemed a bit more squishy, but I just broke too many. So, I went back to EB Slinkys.

kak1154

Is there actual scientific evidence tension varies from brand to materials for a string of the same gauge?
I was going to reply with an unequivocal "No," but then I did a little Googling. Found this tidbit on D'Addario's website.

"String tension is determined by vibrating length, mass, and pitch. The string diameter alone does not determine a string’s tension. By using different raw materials (nickelplated steel or phosphor bronze, etc.) or by varying the ratio between the core and the wrap wire, two strings with the same diameter, tuned to the same pitch, could have two different tensions."

Trending Topics