• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What Strings & Picks do you use?

Prince

Silver Supporting Member
I know I know, search function, but Im lazy and there are like a million threads.

My signal path is in my sig, but Mexi Tele>Vox AC4. I have always used Ernie Ball Super Slinky's and Dunlop green Tortex pics. Mainly have used this combo out of convenience as they are readily available at most stores. I feel like this combo is pedestrian, and I could probably get more out of my tone by maybe switching up strings/picks.

So what do y'all use and why do you use them? Why do you prefer certain size picks/strings over others? And what do y'all recommend for Tele for playing blooz/classic rock/jam bandy/post-rock crap?

alguit

Silver Supporting Member
I've been using Curt Mangan Fusion Matched Nickelwound strings for about almost a year and enjoy them a great deal; I play blues and jazz-ish music and classic rock, and these strings have been sounding great for all of them. I love Thomastik-Infeld strings, too, and Pyramids, but they get pricey.

Finally, I don't think one can go wrong with D'Addarios or Dean Markley Blue Steels.

As for picks, I have fallen under the expensive spell cast by Blue Chip and Red Bear; I have a drawer filled with plastic and wood and bone and metal and stone picks, and each has something to recommend it, a place to be used and to help create good tone. But for go-to picks, with strong tone, lack of clicking/chirp and excellent control, I cannot argue against these two-I just cannot afford many of either and have to be very careful with them. So far, I've snapped a Red Bear in half (stupidly seeing if it would flex at all...) and lost a Blue Chip (actually, I believe it was stolen). Having spent thousands on guitars and amps and hundreds on speakers and cables and effects, $25-35 a pick is not unreasonable.

-Alan

Dunlop Ultex or Tortex. 73 for acoustic, 114 for electric.

Strings:
Dunlop 10-46 or 11-50
Martin SP 12-54
LaBella 43-104
Ernie Ball 13-72
Daddario 13-56

Jesus freak

Lately, it's Fender Heavy picks, and Dunlop strings.

OP, for Teles I like Pyramid nickel classics 10s.

-AK

Ernie ball 10s

Fender medium celluloid

But really I have no preference for either and rarely use the picks.

zztomato

D'Addario 10-46 on most electrics
Martin SP on acoustics
D'Addario Chromes on bass

No picks- although, I do like the Tusq picks.

Frankee

Wartime Consigliere
PyramidRC(1).jpg

$T2eC16d,!ykE9s7ty!cHBRd08j7f)w~~60_3.JPG

Abandoned

Tweed Tube Tone Purist
Silver Supporting Member
D'Adarrio 10 gauge strings and Gravity 3mm standard Striker picks. This gives me the tone I want and the gravity picks last forger too.

I actually prefer DR Pure blues but intonation isn't constant with them.

Kev O)))

Fender Medium Tortoiseshell

Rev Billy G. .09s on my Esquire and GHS Gilmour .10s on my Jazzmaster & Starcaster.

mrpinter

Gold Supporting Member
Frankee - I haven't seen those Moshay picks in years. Cool, I used to use them on my acoustics.

I use Thomastik-Infeld strings on all my guitars. For some of my electrics I'm using a couple different gauges of Jazz Bebops, making custom sets by going a gauge thinner on the G-B-E trebles:
TIjazzbebop12s.jpg

My traditional Tele gets a set of these:
TIjs110.jpg

And I play these on my acoustic:
Thomastik-InfeldPlectrum12spack-1.jpg

I'm currently using V-Picks on everything. Here are my selections:
V-Pickassortment1.jpg

Jonny D

Ernie Ball Power Slinky on Electric
Elixir Light-Medium on Acoustic

Fender Heavy
Experimenting with Jazz III (not sure about them yet)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom