What Strings should I try?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by benabloom, Jul 3, 2008.

1. benabloom

benabloom Member

I Have been playing D'Adarrio strings on my electric guitars for 15 + years.

On my SG and my G+L Legacy XL110 (.010 guage)
    On my ES-347 and my PRS = XL115 (.011 guage)

I have never switched because they are cheap easily available and I guess I am just used to the sound.

I tend to get about 2 gigs out of a set before they get flat, crusty or I get worried about breakage. I play about 4-5 gigs per week so cost vs durrability is a consideration, but Tone is the formost reason for my inquiry.

What are some more toneful options to consider that wont break the bank. Why are they better then what I'm using now?

I play Funk, Soul R+b, and Bugalloo jazz with my ES347 and Strat. I play agressive groove based trio Jazz rock with my SG.

Thanks for your suggestions.

-Ben

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  2. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I've tried a few brands, including the D'Adarrio's. I stick with Ernie Ball Regular Slinky's for all my guitars. Very consistent tone.

3. ungarn

ungarn Member

I like DR Blues...not the most "reliable" but certain near the top for toneful!

4. brianf

brianf Member

Strings are cheap. Just buy a few sets and find out for yourself. I think you woill get 50 different opinions here.

brianf

5. benabloom

benabloom Member

Thanks for the opinions and keep em comin.

I am interested to know about people who have switched from using D'adarios and why. I am used to them and have a gazillion sets on hand. I am anxious to try something new, especially on my ES-347, however I dont have a lot of time these days for buyin a bunch of sets and trying em out. Maybe when I get my own guitar tech .........:AOK

6. Sharkey

Sharkey Member

:agree