• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

What Style Of Music Do You Play On A Telecaster?

Hedek

With the right pedals there’s nothing I’m into that a bone stock single coil tele can’t play. Granted I’m not into death metal. The heaviest I play is Tool.

guitarmook

I've played rock, blues, country, rockabilly, western swing, jump blues, zydeco, gospel, TX Country (rock), two-stepping polkas, all kinds of stuff... all on a tele, sometimes even all in the same night.

rauchman

Nice playing OP.

I do this:
jwguitar, always fantastic listening to you

flume, very cool stuff

I built a Warmoth Tele last summer after getting a Tele bug, and not finding a Fender I was wowed by. I'm using Bill Lawrence Twin Blades T48 and T45 pups. I have zero experience with other Tele's, but do find it having it's own thing from a Strat. I'm more of a high gain player, but do like clean stuff with effects, much like flume's example quoted.

Again, I have no idea how different or not my Tele sounds from a Fender Tele, but it's become my fav' guitar out of a small but decent collection (2 Gibson LP's, Gibson Midtown, Fender MIM Strat with Lace Sensors and G&L USA Legacy Special). I'm sure the time spent bonding with it through the build process matters tool. I'd read quite a few times when researching about a Tele, the tone knob is important. I'm using 500k pots with a 4 way switch and find the tone knob essential. Also, how important the dynamics of picking over the bridge pickup are vs a little farther towards the nut. It is a very versatile and expressive guitar. I haven't found a genre I can't use it for.

I no longer have a Tele but i did .. It got stolen and when i went to remedy the loss i fell in love with a G&L S500. There is a tele in my future, but i am not in a hurry .o0( .. Yet )

When i did have my Tele, the guitar never bound me to a specific genre. Which I found, at once, to be surprisingly odd because that is how that guitar was always stereotyped by friends and acquaintances and by the artists i saw playing them - Roy Buchanan, Keith Richards, Jeff Beck, Muddy Waters, Steve Cropper, Albert Lee, Jim Root. Quite simply, the Tele is a real workhorse and a great guitar to have in your arsenal

In recent years, my impression of the Tele has been significantly broadened with the advent of John 5. Though his music isnt exactly my "type," i am ever watchful of technique - and DAMN that guy - to use the vernacular of a student - "has mad skillz." John 5 demonstrated unequivocally to me that the Telecaster is quite possibly the most versatile instrument out there

ADDENDA: if somehow John 5 has flown in under your radar, I suggest that you check him out. The man is Blessed with a vast repertoire of techniques

Last edited:

Toby Krebs

I have 4 telecasters these days.My strats etc... have been sitting. The telecasters do everything.They also take to heavily processed sounds well. My latest is a Daphne Blue Special Edition with a maple neck and those SD pups that are P90s and single coils with a push pull switch. Then I have a stock Arctic White Player Series/Classic Vibe with replacement Fender neck and Noiseless front pup-SD little 59 in back and lastly a beautiful Thinline burst with Noiseless pups and a 4 way switch. Loving all of them and they are great because when I play them I don’t think about what guitar I am playing.Telecasters are the most direct route to the amp.Simple and beautiful!

Bryan T

guitar owner
Double Platinum Member
I make all sorts of racket on a telecaster. They are quite versatile.

I started playing teles/ASATs when I was a teenager. My friends didn’t understand the allure, but I’ve used one for just about everything since then.

JohnnyBGoode

Blues
Rock Riffs (twang makes things Rock N Roll... Think Malcolm's Ypung Gretsch, and then add even more twang)
R&B/Funk

Guitarworks

Lots of styles. They work particularly great for rock; they'll stomp all over what many perceive to be exclusively "Les Paul territory".

jwguitar

I no longer have a Tele but i did .. It got stolen and when i went to remedy the loss i fell in love with a G&L S500. There is a tele in my future, but i am not in a hurry .o0( .. Yet )

I did have my Tele, the guitar never bound me to a specific genre. Which I found, at once, to be surprisingly odd because that is how that guitar was always stereotyped by friends and acquaintances and by the artists i saw playing them - Roy Buchanan, Keith Richards, Jeff Beck, Muddy Waters, Steve Cropper, Albert Lee, Jim Root. Quite simply, the Tele is a real workhorse and a great guitar to have in your arsenal

In recent years, my impression of the Tele has been significantly broadened with the advent of John 5. Though his music isnt exactly my "type," i am ever watchful of technique - and DAMN that guy - to use the vernacular of a student - "has mad skillz." John 5 demonstrated unequivocally to me that the Telecaster is quite possibly the most versatile instrument out there

ADDENDA: if somehow John 5 has flown in under your radar, I suggest that you check him out. The man is Blessed with a vast repertoire of techniques
John 5 is an amazing guitarist. That’s a great video!

sturge

Rock and blues for me...I switch back and forth between tele and strat. Sometimes I will play one set and switch to the other for the next set. Other times I may go a few gigs in a row playing just one but I eventually give the other one equal time. They are very different but as much as I love playing one, it's always refreshing to pick up the other one for a change and usually it's just whatever I'm feeling that night that dictates what I play.

cheezit

Lots of styles. They work particularly great for rock; they'll stomp all over what many perceive to be exclusively "Les Paul territory".
I've heard this claim many, many times on TGP, but have not found it to be true myself. Can you share a clip of an example?

Trending Topics