• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

What Style Of Music Do You Play On A Telecaster?

Rhythm Rocker

Telecasters are very versatile guitars. What style of music do you play on your's? I play fingerstyle jazz and surprisingly with the single coils I like its tone.

Wonderful playing and tone. Thank you for sharing. Single coils are very versatile.

I've never owned a Tele, but if I did.....I would play some Muddy Waters blues on it. :)

ToneDeVille

Silver Supporting Member
nice pickin' JW. that almost sounds like a high dollar arch top.
goes to show a Tele...or T Style guitar...can do it all!

The single coil in the neck position on a tele is such an over looked pickup. Surprisingly, it makes a really nice clean jazz guitar pickup.
To be completely honest, i LOVE those lipstick neck pickups .. Some people mistake low output as a negative trait ... In fairness to them, it's just a matter of application - what is your intention? Those things practically jump through flaming hoops to please the player .. Love those things

jwguitar

To be completely honest, i LOVE those lipstick neck pickups .. Some people mistake low output as a negative trait ... In fairness to them, it's just a matter of application - what is your intention? Those things practically jump through flaming hoops to please the player .. Love those things
I agree. I like to get them really close to the strings to get a fatter sound but in general I am a big fan of that type of pickup.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
Everything.

Was my main gigging guitar when I was playing in a Big Band type thing.

rhinocaster

Silver Supporting Member
Here's a really really great vid of some killer players playing different types of gear....I even think there's a Quilter in play.

The Tele is a great addition to what came before it.

Just play what you got and what you dig...:)

cheezit

The first Led Zeppelin album is a good starting point imo.
IMO that doesn't sound like an LP, never has. It's played with an attitude that is more associated with an LP, though. The claim was "many perceive to be exclusively Les Paul territory," and the tones on that album have a bright snarl that isn't exclusively LP. Appetite For Destruction is an album that couldn't be anything other than an LP.

Of course I may be getting too literal with the original comment. I just don't think an LP and a tele overlap to the extent that tele-maniacs claim.

leftty

Tele can play just about anything, now that’s just just my opinion. It takes a beating live, stays in tune and you can abuse the **** out of it. Tele has been my main guitar for years.

All I have is a Tele at the moment. I love it for just about anything. I think bridge position works pretty well for metal riffing, but I can’t quite get the liquidy lead tone I’d want out of the neck pickup. Honestly considering getting a "metal" guitar with humbuggies. But anything rock or lighter I love the Tele.

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
That is a nice guitar! Love my Bill Lawrence PUs!

jwguitar, always fantastic listening to you

flume, very cool stuff

I built a Warmoth Tele last summer after getting a Tele bug, and not finding a Fender I was wowed by. I'm using Bill Lawrence Twin Blades T48 and T45 pups. I have zero experience with other Tele's, but do find it having it's own thing from a Strat. I'm more of a high gain player, but do like clean stuff with effects, much like flume's example quoted.

Again, I have no idea how different or not my Tele sounds from a Fender Tele, but it's become my fav' guitar out of a small but decent collection (2 Gibson LP's, Gibson Midtown, Fender MIM Strat with Lace Sensors and G&L USA Legacy Special). I'm sure the time spent bonding with it through the build process matters tool. I'd read quite a few times when researching about a Tele, the tone knob is important. I'm using 500k pots with a 4 way switch and find the tone knob essential. Also, how important the dynamics of picking over the bridge pickup are vs a little farther towards the nut. It is a very versatile and expressive guitar. I haven't found a genre I can't use it for.

Trending Topics