• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

What Style Of Music Do You Play On A Telecaster?

Dickey

Honky tonk chikin' pickin' country, blues, rockabilly, R&R.
For surf I use my '72 Strat, or '65 Mosrite.

AlanH

Anthrax, Testament, Slayer, Megadeath and Metallica.

Not many people know this but they all made a pact together to record all of their studio albums on Teles. Scott Ian, Kerry King, Eric Peterson, Dave Mustaine and Kirk Hammett were all huge Country fans and you can hear those influences in their writing and playing styles.

KK may well be seen on stage with a BC Rich or Jackson V but don't be fooled. He would warm up before every show on his Tele and then his guitar tech would play along on it during the actual show backstage in order to give the overall mix some of the twang that he wanted. This caught on in the mid 80s and then all the early thrash bands started doing it....

PS There was a video somewhere on YouTube of an early 90s festival performance by Metallica where Hammett does an extended chick'n pickin' wah wah solo with a little butterscotch blonde beauty. That guitar had some history as it had been in the trunk of his car and completely wrote off a pickup truck that ran in to the back of him. The insurance firm wouldn't pay up because they said the policy didn't cover the Tele being in there.

Last edited:

Chippertheripper

Silver Supporting Member
All of it.
I normally sway towards the garagey kinda punk rock stuff, but anything and everything is right at home on a tele.

Binaural

Silver Supporting Member
Depends on the kind of amp I'm plugged into, seriously Teles can do anything.

Mark@ToneShield

Platinum Supporting Member
My Tstyle has humbuckers and a chambered body. I've used it for rock, jazz, worship and fingerstyle latin/jazz gigs! Tone is in the hands!!!!

Trending Topics