What Style Of Music Do You Play On A Telecaster?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jwguitar, Nov 28, 2019.

1. GreatGreen

GreatGreen Member

Telecasters are absurdly versatile. Get a Telecaster. Even if you're a shredder. They're awesome for just about everything.

A lot of people write them off as being country guitars only, but they're doing a serious disservice to themselves. The right telecaster can do so much it's crazy. They're also really the only guitar I bother to use the tone control with, as they're so naturally bright that the tone knob easily tame the highs without muddying things up.

Telecaster neck pickups are actually better than strat pickups for the coveted "piano/bell-like clean tone" thing a lot of people go for. Strat neck pickups are great, but they're extremely "stratty" and stringy sounding. Telecasters, believe it or not, sound fuller and bigger. And everybody knows the Telecaster bridge pickup is a party all day long. Even at super high gain (if you can tame the noise), that brightness lets them shred like hell. I could go on but I think you get the point.

2. mshelhart

mshelhart Member

3. jwguitar

jwguitar Supporting Member

Very true!

weevilcaster likes this.
  4. weevilcaster

weevilcaster Member

Leo Fender really came up with an elegant piece of technical engineering in the Telecaster, which is why it continues to endure & will do so. Telecasters are great as is or as a modding platform. I think that is why so many people like them, you can personalize them without much effort or play them as they are. These days there are so many different replacement pickups & other part choices for your musical needs, no need to get a different guitar!

Yeah, I like Teles!

5. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

I don't have one at the moment, but I'd play my normal, classic prog-rock kinda stuff. I do kinda prefer a humbucker in the neck position.

6. neastguy

neastguy Member

7. Chad11491

Chad11491 Supporting Member

I have a mahogany/flame maple tele with a nice roasted maple neck and ebony board with Duncan quarter pound pickups in it. It was my attempt at getting an SG-ish P90 vibe with some tele twang and it absolutely worked lol. It’s a mean rock machine and still has the twang if you coax it out. It’s probably my favorite guitar at the moment

Mincer likes this.
  8. jwguitar

That sounds like a great guitar. Can you post a picture of it?

9. JB6464

JB6464 Member

I only have one right now , shown in my avatar pic , it's a Tele Deluxe custom build I did with a Warmoth mahogany body/quilted maple top and a routed for two SD 59's and a tremolo .
    Love the guitar tones but I'm currently in the process of switching out the humbuckers for two SD Phat Cat P90's because of the humbucker size routes .
    I'm hoping it will give the Tele a more blues rock vibe for doing stuff like Gary Moore / JB's style of music .
    I need a fat single coil bite but still have a chewy rock tone for Gary Moore's hotter stuff as well .

10. jens5

jens5 Silver Supporting Member

:eek:

11. neil99

neil99 Silver Supporting Member

Rock, funk Tele works awesome

12. jwguitar

Sounds about right!

13. GusFowler

GusFowler Member

Like Crimson Moonlight?

14. GusFowler

GusFowler Member

There is a band called Whores?

15. GusFowler

GusFowler Member

SG101 guys would have a bone to pick over this opinion, as they think only offsets and Strats make proper surf tones. I used a Tele for ‘pre-surf’ music that wasn’t as narrowly defined as the drippy ‘classic’ sound. Between that Tele partscaster and a Mosrite I had all bases covered.

16. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

For me, the question is what style of music don't I play on a Telecaster... I'm having trouble thinking of one.

Back in college I did a thing with some friends where we played Dream Theater covers. I used to think it was really fun to use my Telecaster for those shows :)

17. Ps28

Ps28 Member

Like Immortal.

18. GusFowler

GusFowler Member

How about Frosthardr or Antestor?

19. GusFowler

GusFowler Member

Norway, US, Malaysia or Denmark?

20. Ps28

Ps28 Member

Norway.