What switches are you using instead of mini-toggles?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by straightblues, Feb 12, 2012.

1. straightblues

straightblues Member

I have a guitar that I need to put a phase switch into. I don't want to use a push pull pot, so I am thinking about a mini switch. However, I really don't like the mini toggels. I seem to hit them and break them and hurt my hand in the process. I am thinking something like a little push button or a rocker switch. But they need to be small. What are you guys using and where can I buy it at?

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

what kind of guitar?

my two gibsons have phase switches; i use single volumes on my guitars, so my 4-knob LP has a two-way rotary in place of the extra volume knob, while my V (3 knobs) has a push-push bridge tone knob.

i like that they both look stock, with no extra holes.

3. straightblues

straightblues Member

It is a Les Paul type guitar with a flat top. It is a special guitar and trust me I don't really want to drill holes in it. But I also want to maintain the tone of the regular high end pot I have in it. So I am looking for something small and discrete.

4. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Silver Supporting Member

Been using the push/push pots - one in the middle pickup tone location on the Strats to turn on the neck pickup has been the most popular 'round here.

Radio Shack's always got a pretty good selection of low-amp switches in different styles if you want to get creative...

5. walterw

"pot" or "pots"?

you could always use a less-used pot for the push-pull, like a tone knob instead of a volume.

as for the "tone" of the pot, if the replacement is the same resistance, the "tone" will be the same.

6. rumblebox

rumblebox Member

duncan triple shot switches... best invention ever.

7. straightblues

straightblues Member

Bumps for the morning ideas.

8. walterw

More info will net you more ideas; how many knobs on the guitar, and what's so special about the pots in there now?