What Switching Device/Solution Am I Seeking?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Josh O, May 24, 2008.

1. Josh O

Josh O Member

I'm pretty well settled on my amp/effects setup and I've been thinking I'd like to have some type of central switching for it all at some point without going crazy like a Bradshaw system or something. I used to own a Musicom Lab EFX switcher which was cool, have looked online at the Octaswitch, WOBO, GigRig, Loopaholic and something more simple like the Loop Master but the problem is I have two effects in my amp's FX loop (and maybe three if I finally pull the trigger on a flanger) that I want in the overall switching system and ideally I'd like to incorporate my Bogner Duende's functions in as well which are channel switching between A and B, tremolo on/off and combining channels A and B together. The amp footswitch is a single cable with two 1/4" plugs, each are function specific and one has one ring on it (tremolo), the other has two rings (serves dual purpose of "A or B" and "A+B").

Therefore, unless I'm missing something, none of what I mentioned above will work. I also don't want to break the bank on this one either as it's more of a convenience, I'm not doing unreasonable tap dancing having four effects up front and two in the FX loop but it would be cool to be able to go from clean with a short delay to say one of my fuzzes with phaser to all out distortion with both delays on for real spacey stuff at the touch of a button.

Would my best bang for the buck be two Axess GRX4 units, one with my four effects that go into my amp and the other with my FX loop effects in, and then use an Axess CFX4 for my amp functions (assuming it will work with the Duend), tie all three together via MIDI and then control the whole shooting match with a MIDI controller?

2. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

W/ the GRX-4, you have the option of using one of the loops as an on/off for a control function of your amp, say reverb on/off. If you have 3 loops for effects, you can use the other one for reverb, or channel sw.

They are really easy to use and I reccommend them. The only hassle is you have to program all your sounds. and then remember the numbers!

3. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I use the Bradshaw system, works flawlessly. You can find them used, I did.

4. Josh O

Josh O Member

Thanks guys. I just noticed that the GRX4's Loop 4 is not in series with Loops 1-3. It's too bad something like the GigRig doesn't offer something like this in their all in one package, or do they?

5. Josh O

Josh O Member

Reading through the GigRig Midi8 manual, looks like you might be able to run preamp effects and effects loop effects together.

6. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

email dan at the gig rig and ask him direct. hes very fast to reply.

AJ

7. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

I've been gigging heavy with my Octaswitch for 5 weeks now and it's awesome!! I've owned the GCX and others but preferred my pedals out front.....this was the perfect solution. Setting "scenes" with the dip switches makes things very easy!

8. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

I also agree that te GigRig rocks. Unfortunately the US dollar does not which made it super expensive. It looks killer though!