What Taylor Should I Get

PaulML

Hey everybody,

I am planning on buying a new Taylor acoustic guitar. I know I want a Taylor, but I'm not sure which one.

Currently I have a 314ce and a T5 and love them both, but due to my GAS and love for guitars I need another.

I am looking for a guitar that I can use at my solo performances and with my band that I can strum on well, and has a deep low end and also clear highs.

So my first thought was an 816ce. Indian Rosewood back and sides with Sitka spruce top. That is at the top of my list.

I have played a 516 at a music store and fell in love, and played an 810 and surprisingly didn't like it. Is that because of the wood, or a bad set of strings? It seemed dead sounding. I am also conflicted between a grand symphony or a grand orchestra. I loved the 516 but will it be deeper and more clear with indian rosewood? Or is indian rosewood not good for what I wanted because I didn't like the 810? Grand orchestra or grand symphony?... or a different shape.

I think I would like them all, and I do intend on playing them myself at some point, its just that all of the guitars above except for the 516 and 810 aren't available at the music store and I wanted some opinions prior to that.

Thanks for reading

guitararmy

My vote goes for one of the 2014 Taylor 816's with the new ES pickup.
I love my older GS7 and as you've found out yourself they sound great.

I'm more of a rosewood fan, and I've read great things about the revoiced 800 series (haven't actually played one yet...)

PaulML

Yes! I forgot to mention the new 800 series guitars. They look incredible. I was actually looking at that one as well.

Steve73

I'd check out the 400 series. The Ovangkol is really lively, with lots of sparkle. I have a 410 so with the dreadnought size you get a nice mix of low end with the high end sparkle.

rowdyyates

Silver Supporting Member
Have you considered maple? It's a good match for vocalists. I've never played amaple Taylor (not a Taylor fan) but I'd recommend checking one out.

crambone

That's quite a jump to the 800 series. I think you'd be happy with a 5 but that's just me. I am not one for the ornate, just "meat and potatoes" and it's a good player and I am happy.

petty1818

Honestly the new 800 series is IMO the best sounding models that Taylor has to offer. I own a limited edition Taylor 310 Koa back and sides acoustic that's incredible. However, it does lack sufficient bass when compared to other dreadnought style guitars. With that said, I have always found Taylor guitars to lack enough bottom end making them sound thin and bright which is why I went for the larger bodied 310. I tried two first edition 2014 814 Taylor guitars and they are in an entirely different league. They sound like a cross between a Martin and a Gibson. If I can get one without the ES2 then I will definitely be buying an 814.

joeprs

My vote goes for one of the 2014 Taylor 816's with the new ES pickup.
I love my older GS7 and as you've found out yourself they sound great.

I'm more of a rosewood fan, and I've read great things about the revoiced 800 series (haven't actually played one yet...)
I agree. My local GC just got an 816ce in and I cannot wait to try it. I don't think you would go wrong with the GS or GO body shape. From what I understand, the updated 800 series has the same, or similar bracing to the GO, which accounts for the improvement in sound, along with the new ES2 system.

I already own 2 high end Taylors (see my signature), so I don't know if I want to add the 816ce into my stable. I'm actually almost afraid to try it for that reason. I'm afraid I'll like it too much. Yet, curiosity has got me and I would love to hear how it sounds!

jfwund

Silver Supporting Member
I am looking for a guitar that I can use at my solo performances and with my band that I can strum on well, and has a deep low end and also clear highs.

So my first thought was an 816ce. Indian Rosewood back and sides with Sitka spruce top. That is at the top of my list.
Given the qualities you're asking for, I have to recommend that you try an 818 (or, I suppose a 718, but I have no experience with that model). I own an 818 and it's a phenomenal guitar. Swap a set of D'Addario PBs on there (get those plinky Elixirs off) and it's exactly what you're looking for. Deep low end but very clear and balanced, with a really nice harmonic richness to the tone.

It still sounds like a Taylor, but there's just more body to it, it's not at all thin or overly bright. I also have a 414ce, and while that's a nice guitar, there's not really any comparison between the two when it comes to strumming. The GO also handles fingerpicking well, and responds nicely to a light touch. It is a big guitar though, and while it's not uncomfortable to play, you should try one out if you can to make sure it works for you. I haven't played the new 800s yet, but of all of the pre-2014 Taylors, I think the rosewood GOs are the best-sounding all-purpose guitars they make.

jjboogie

Hey everybody,

I am planning on buying a new Taylor acoustic guitar. I know I want a Taylor, but I'm not sure which one.

Currently I have a 314ce and a T5 and love them both, but due to my GAS and love for guitars I need another.

I have played a 516 at a music store and fell in love, and played an 810 and surprisingly didn't like it. Is that because of the wood, or a bad set of strings? It seemed dead sounding. I am also conflicted between a grand symphony or a grand orchestra. I loved the 516 but will it be deeper and more clear with indian rosewood? Or is indian rosewood not good for what I wanted because I didn't like the 810? Grand orchestra or grand symphony?... or a different shape.

I think I would like them all, and I do intend on playing them myself at some point, its just that all of the guitars above except for the 516 and 810 aren't available at the music store and I wanted some opinions prior to that.

Thanks for reading
The 816ce was my second favorite choice. I ended up ordering a 914ce tobacco sunburst with a florentine cutaway.

It's quite a bit more money but I wanted to go with what felt like home. The 914 felt the absolute best to me. The 816 was close. The 814 didn't have the same bottom end as the 914 so that's why I liked the 816 more.