what tele pickups?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by gearlovin, Oct 13, 2005.

1. gearlovin

gearlovin Supporting Member

Hi guy's

I just order a gigliotti telecaster
    http://www.gigliottiguitars.com/html/custom.htm

all mahogany with rosewood neck and brass top

Any idea of cool tele pickups

Some folks have suggest me fralin blues special
    I was thinkin of kinamn tele pickups too
    Any other Idea?

thanks

carl

2. SuperSoundMusic

SuperSoundMusic Member

Lollars, Lollars, Lollars. Sorry I just love them so much. I have never been happier with my tone and I've tried them all.

Personally, I never cared much for the Fralin's or Kinman. Just not quite spanky enough for me where the Lollars do the Tele Spank but retain excellent high's and lows yet are not over bearing when overdriving a tube amp and playing good ol' Rock n' Roll.

3. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

I'm as thrilled with the Hamels. Just real Tele tone.

4. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

My Hamels were shipped out yesterday !!!

Broadcaster Bridge and Tall neck - I CANT WAIT !!

Although I AM a LITTLE worried in that I've always preferred stagger poles but Ron is pretty confident that I will LOVE these flatpoles

Lollars are nice, and I have an Antiquity II that is OUSTANDING but I've different pickups sound different in different guitars - ya just gotta search !!

But Hamels, Voodoo, Lollars, Fralins, and Antiquities have ALL proven themselves to me as great p/ups in various guitars

5. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

WOOHOO!

Can't wait to hear them. Be sure to post clips.

6. SuperSoundMusic

SuperSoundMusic Member

Bravo! Well said .... Here Here!

A major point often over looked. One set of pickups might sound better in one guitar than another set of pickups ...then... worse in different guitar. There are many factors to consider such as acoustic resonance, weight of the guitar and body material. Typically with a guitar I initially put pickups in that I am very familiar with. Then, once I hear the guitar decide on what I will be replacing them with. My test pickups have been the same set of Duncan SSL-1's and SSL-5's I've had for 10 years now. To me they are a very safe sound and the guitar is going to sound good no matter what. Then to taylor my specific requirements I select one of the above manufactures to make the guitar sound killer! Wait a minute though, DANOCASTER you forgot to put Van Zandt's up there.

7. SuperSoundMusic

SuperSoundMusic Member

Crud, I just realized that I was replying to the Tele pickups thread. Getting my threads confused, prevoiously posted on a Stratocaster pickup thread. Same applies overall though, just that I don't use Duncan SSL-1's and SSL-5's for my test pickups.

One pickup I forgot to mention that I have in one of my main guitars is a Duncan Jerry Donahue model pickup which I have been really happy with. Overall though it's been the Lollar's that really do it for me personally.

8. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

Beware: a mahogany body with a rosewood neck in the shape of a Telecaster is not a Telecaster. If you're after real Tele tone, you will get closer if you look for something very bright and trebly that will make up for the dark sounding woods and steer clear of the warm / smooth / overwound types, unless you chose those woods precisely because you didn't want real Tele tone.

9. gearlovin

gearlovin Supporting Member

Beware: a mahogany body with a rosewood neck in the shape of a Telecaster is not a Telecaster. If you're after real Tele tone, you will get closer if you look for something very bright and trebly that will make up for the dark sounding woods and steer clear of the warm / smooth / overwound types, unless you chose those woods precisely because you didn't want real Tele tone.

yeah Clorenzo, you know I want somethin in the vein of tele tone
    I know that It will be different with the all mahogany but with the brass top :confused: how the guitar will sound unplugged?

hummm good question.....

I just know that I've heard Joe Bonamassa with this guitar and it was one of my favorite tone of the night:D

Gigliotti suggest me fralin blues special..... but on all my sc guitars I have put kinman....So I'm thinking about them again.... but wich one

for now I'm thinking that the broadcaster will probably be a bit too dark. And the telecaster will suit my needs

what you think guy's?:eek:

10. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Fender Texas Special Tele pups.

S.
    j

11. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Love my Lollars in my Mahogany Hollow Tele but that one is hollow, full Mahogany body, brass top might sound bright.
    Could go with Kinman Broadcaster pick ups which I have in my solid Mahogany Tele with maple lam top.

12. fig

fig Member

I love my Bill Lawrence pickups . . . :D

13. DANOCASTER

OMG !!!!!:dude :dude :dude ( 3 guy salute )

I got the Hamel Broadcasters today and stuck them in my #1 !!!

UN- FREAKIN - BELIEVABLE !!!!

Up till now ( and 1/2 hour before the Hamels were wired up ) the ones to beat were a REALLY good sounding Antiquity II w/ a lollar neck p/up. Before I removed them, I was telling myself that it was pretty PERFECT AS-IS - so I made note of heights, etc..then removed them

I installed the Hamels and set the height just by eye ( knowing that the Alnico 3 can get pretty close to the strings and still sound nice ). I plugged it into my '66 Vibrolux Reverb and was simply awestruck. Simply Incredible.

The new Broadcaster is modelled after several real ones they borrowed from Nacho in Spain and supposed Alan Hamel "learned a few secrets" ( according to Ron Ellis ). Well, I was sceptical because I'm not a blackguard guy as much as a mid 60s stagger pole lover.. It doesnt matter anymore - these Hamels have DEMOLISHED everything I've heard prior to this afternoon.

The bridge is HUGE and ballsy but w/ alot of really great top end. Cuts extremely well w/ zero icepick. Its sorta aggressive compared to some other vintage winds but sounds much better than the overwound pickups from the most well known winders out there.

The neck pickup is very TELE but w/ out ANY mud !! It doesnt sound like a strat p/ups but its probably a little step in that direction - yet still very tele. Very little compression in either pickup - these p/ups are very dynamic and very sensitive to touch !! JUST INCREDIBLE !!

The middle position is the best I've ever had in a tele. Because of the hotter bridge, it favors the rear p/up a little but is very jangly - yet full - w/ the bass strings sounding like a giant electric HARP or something

I gotta go play again !!!! I'm in LOVE:D

14. Unburst

Unburst Member

Would that be Bill Hullet's old Nocaster?

I'm on the waiting list for Hamels, but I have a pair of Barden's coming in soon!

Can you say chalk and cheese!!

lol!

15. DANOCASTER

Maybe..here's what Ron told me :

Nacho sent us several sets of pickups that were taken directly out of his original early Esquire, Broadcaster, Nocaster and Tele's, ranging from 1950 through 1954. Alan and I took the pickup assemblies apart and documented every detail of each pickup. Some of the results will be posted and shown in Nacho's book, but a number of the details are being quietly kept between Alan and myself. We found out the Broadcaster pickup set is unique from the rest, so we made our own version of it and it is fantastic...

I DO know that I like them better than the standard Hamel set I had last year ( which were also VERY good )

16. fatback

fatback Member

I have a set of Fred Stuart, Blackguards in my GVCG 53' tele. I had heard a set of Hamels in a friends guitar and was very impressed. I wanted to buy some but didn't feel like waiting on the list. I heard that Fred, an ex-Fender Senior Master Builder, used to work with Hammel and had opened his own guitar and pickup buisiness. The posts here on TGP were all very positive so I looked up his website and decided to give them a try...

http://www.virtualvintageguitars.com/stuartcustomguitars0005.html

..and boy, am I glad I did. These pickups sound amazing! The bridge is big and spanky without any harshness at all while the neck pickup is fat and juicy, but with a sweet clarity and with a nice slice to the attack. Clean or gained out, they sound great. They get a big thumbs up from me.

17. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

I love Lollar pickups

How does one go about buying a set of Hamels' new Broadcaster pickups? Gotta link?

18. Priestunes

Priestunes Member

What kind of improvement is there using the pups mentioned over the stock issue on an American Telecaster?

19. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Well, tone is very subjective... however imho Lollar pickups are more articulate, have a wider tonal range and just plain sound "better" (i.e. more high quality) than stock Fenders... the Lollars don't sound harsh like the stock Fenders can sometimes... the Lollars seem more sensitive to various pick attacks