• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What the Boss Katana got right.....

* velcro-fly *

Silver Supporting Member
I'm set on actual guitar amps for rock n roll and whatever else, but a new project has / had me needing an actual acoustic amp rig for acoustic plugged in gigs. Really didn't want to tie up more money in an amp that will be used sparingly. A moment of clarity resulted and I thought about the fact that most all acoustic amps are solid state deals, so what about that much maligned Katana? would it? could it? Turns out it can and it does, in spades...best part is you can buy those things used for about the price of a pedal. I found a near brand spankin' new Katana 50 watt 1x12 combo for $125 on Craigslist and will say for what it will be used for and how good it sounds with my acoustic its the score of the year.....I've owned a couple actual nicer acoustic amps prior and this $125 bargain is easily on par with them. Set it in the acoustic amp or even the clean setting and its straight up awesome. Only thing lacking is a direct out to be used to a soundboard but I can just mic it. This amp is worth it for the acoustic feature alone, especially on the used market. Blown away.

JCW308

Silver Supporting Member
The Katana is actually awful (I mean really, really bad) with acoustics compared to a dedicated acoustic amp or something like a Trace Elliot Transit-A with powered PA speaker. Glad you could make it work for yourself though. For $125 I guess it might get someone by.

* velcro-fly *

Silver Supporting Member
The Katana is actually awful (I mean really, really bad) with acoustics compared to a dedicated acoustic amp or something like a Trace Elliot Transit-A with powered PA speaker. Glad you could make it work for yourself though. For $125 I guess it might get someone by.

:p Exactly....for a minimum buy in $250 used for the Trace Elliot, then into the powered PA speaker you'll need to own or purchase, or any other dedicated acoustic specific amp, it's the $125 bargain of the freaking year. I will guarantee you that the average listener in a club or coffee house type setting will not know the difference, I know who the target audience for this gig is and it aint Acoustic Genius Johnson ;) This sounds easily as good as the Genz Benz Shenandoa I owned. I want another Wizard MC25 or a Matchless Laurel Canyon, not another fancy acoustic amp. My best analogy here is that this is like a Harbor Freight acoustic amp, the right tool for occasional use that will allow you to buy other better tools for full time use.

It's not awful at all. I have a Katana artist with a Waza speaker. For the money and the software it comes with, you can dial in some great tones.

* velcro-fly *

Silver Supporting Member
Careful, bud. You're on TGP.
Bwhahaahhaha, nailed it.... lots of ears of gold backed by zero actual experience. Funny as I was posting this I was fully prepared for the pending TGP style comments....there's no way around the fact that this is a $125 acoustic amp sim bargain and exceeds what my expectations for it were. Hell, I might have to crack a beer later and plug an electric guitar into it later to see what the rest of it does.

drpoyer

Silver Supporting Member
The Katana is a the best 169.00 I ever spent on a guitar tool. It’s not perfect but it can do so many things that I need in one box: direct record, act as a PA for solo guitar and vocals via a VE8, headphones, drives my Leslie cabinet, cover a small room gig.

I spent more on a guitar strap… once.

Senor Forum

Double Platinum Member
Bwhahaahhaha, nailed it.... lots of ears of gold backed by zero actual experience. Funny as I was posting this I was fully prepared for the pending TGP style comments....there's no way around the fact that this is a $125 acoustic amp sim bargain and exceeds what my expectations for it were. Hell, I might have to crack a beer later and plug an electric guitar into it later to see what the rest of it does.
I mean, I have a reputation for being an absolute gear whore. I think I went through the value of my home in gear in the last two years. I'm a running joke here. Love me some tubes.

That said, my Katana 100 MKII is still here, and I love it. I generally just run a pedalboard into the clean channel, but I love it even without. I just dial in a bit of boost, some reverb, chorus and analog delay from the Katana and it's sweet as hell.

Haters and all of that. :D

* velcro-fly *

Silver Supporting Member
Hell yeah...card carrying member of Amp Sluts Unanimous right here :cool:

I get some of the ruffled feathers as there might not have been a bigger hyped product than the Katana.
It's not like I'm sleeping around on my regularly used gig rig, but for my specific need for this specific work its absolutely the best bang for the buck tool, absolutely appropriate for the task at hand. I also predict the couple of booked acoustic things we have will morph into another full on band project whereby this gets mothballed. My kid also now has a way better first amp option here than I ever did when I was her age, I was looking for something affordable for that reason, that I can use it too is a bonus, that it was a whole $125 is laughable. Anybody in PDX wants to come see if it works feel free, I'm playing with Sarah Lodge at the Wild Hare in Oregon City on Nov 19th and then at the Gemini Pub in Lake Oswego Dec 15th, see you there! If you want to see the polar opposite end of that spectrum head out to Cazadero's in Estacada next week Saturday Nov 13th to hear my Wizard MC25 rig in action with the The Radio Riots.

Jim234

When I used my kat for acoustic it was OK for the money. The built in FX were good, using it with GAFC opened up additional possibilities and gave it great portability. But clearly dedicated acoustic amps are better, and I can compare against a Marshall AD50 and a Boss Acoustic Singer Live (which I picked up for £300).

But as I always say with the KAT for any situation - just consider what they cost...

donbarzini

Silver Supporting Member
FYI, I have a Katana Artist MKII, it does the Dumble and Brown Eye in spadez...

JCW308

Silver Supporting Member
FYI, I have a Katana Artist MKII, it does the Dumble and Brown Eye in spadez...
Are they acoustic amps and are you using an acoustic guitar? For those with reading comprehension issues (and there seem to be many here) I was talking about using the Katana as an acoustic amp with an acoustic guitar. There are many better options.
It's not awful at all. I have a Katana artist with a Waza speaker. For the money and the software it comes with, you can dial in some great tones.
Please READ before replying. I was talking about using the Katana as an acoustic amp with an acoustic guitar.

JCW308

Silver Supporting Member
I mean, I have a reputation for being an absolute gear whore. I think I went through the value of my home in gear in the last two years. I'm a running joke here. Love me some tubes.

That said, my Katana 100 MKII is still here, and I love it. I generally just run a pedalboard into the clean channel, but I love it even without. I just dial in a bit of boost, some reverb, chorus and analog delay from the Katana and it's sweet as hell.

I had the same amp. It was fantastic with electric guitar and even as a clean pedal platform for a BOSS GT-1000. I hope they come out with a new version with balanced direct out and tuner someday.

donbarzini

Silver Supporting Member
Are they acoustic amps and are you using an acoustic guitar? For those with reading comprehension issues (and there seem to be many here) I was talking about using the Katana as an acoustic amp with an acoustic guitar. There are many better options.

Please READ before replying. I was talking about using the Katana as an acoustic amp with an acoustic guitar.
I did read and I'm using it strictly for Dumble and Brown Eye tonez and it killz...

megatrav

I bought a Katana head a few years back and tried it with 3 different cabs. I could not send it back fast enough.
I did not get along with how the overdrive and distortion sounded/felt.
The effects were great

Top Bottom