• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What the Boss Katana got right.....

* velcro-fly *

Silver Supporting Member
I bought a Katana head a few years back and tried it with 3 different cabs. I could not send it back fast enough.
I did not get along with how the overdrive and distortion sounded/felt.
The effects were great
Yep, gots no use for them tones here...the $125 acoustic sim though kicks ass even though its been pointed out that there are far better options that cost 3x as much as I paid for this :cool:

* velcro-fly *

Silver Supporting Member
Update...took it to said acoustic plugged in project rehearsal on Wednesday and was blown away how well it sounded and performed. Best $125 I've spent on gear in years. Still haven't bothered to investigate other sounds, probably won't, that's not why I bought this.

TheToneDig

The thing about modelers is that they are usually good at doing one or two things well and the rest is muhhh. However, if you find what they are good at (like you do with any amp) then you can a lot. For example, the Peavey Vypyr did its 5150 sound quite well and the Bad Cat for some reason. Even Josh Homme used his Peavey Decade practice amp on recordings. The Katana is cheap and has these types of features so I would say go for it, for the price. However I wouldn't spend that money if it was just for home use. I would probably find it better to invest in DAW hardware and get some good modeling software and IRs.

TS808

I have a Kat 50 and I hate it. It's possibly the worst amp I've ever owned and I'm 63 and have owned some really crappy amps. If it had been more expensive I would hate it even more.
I had the same experience until.....you have to go into the software and work with the Global EQ. Out of the box, I thought it sounded too bright and cheap, but after a few tweaks with the software, I was able to get some really good tones from it.

LARRY GERSHON

Silver Supporting Member
I'm set on actual guitar amps for rock n roll and whatever else, but a new project has / had me needing an actual acoustic amp rig for acoustic plugged in gigs. Really didn't want to tie up more money in an amp that will be used sparingly. A moment of clarity resulted and I thought about the fact that most all acoustic amps are solid state deals, so what about that much maligned Katana? would it? could it? Turns out it can and it does, in spades...best part is you can buy those things used for about the price of a pedal. I found a near brand spankin' new Katana 50 watt 1x12 combo for $125 on Craigslist and will say for what it will be used for and how good it sounds with my acoustic its the score of the year.....I've owned a couple actual nicer acoustic amps prior and this $125 bargain is easily on par with them. Set it in the acoustic amp or even the clean setting and its straight up awesome. Only thing lacking is a direct out to be used to a soundboard but I can just mic it. This amp is worth it for the acoustic feature alone, especially on the used market. Blown away.
Sorry but that’s not my experience. My Fishman loudbox mini chrushes the Katana for my acoustic rig. By the way I have plenty of experience. I have played hundreds of acoustic gigs and the Katana would have not cut it for my acoustic guitar rig. The Fishman is a fantastic product and they are a great company. On the other hand my Katana vs 1 100 combo is a very good utility electric amp and I use mine a lot to noodle on and work on songs. So there haha.

Last edited:

* velcro-fly *

Silver Supporting Member
Sorry but that’s not my experience. My Fishman loudbox mini chrushes the Katana for my acoustic rig. By the way I have plenty of experience. I have played hundreds of acoustic gigs and the Katana would have not cut it for my acoustic guitar rig. The Fishman is a fantastic product and they are a great company. On the other hand my Katana vs 1 100 combo is a very good utility electric amp and I use mine a lot to noodle on and work on songs. So there haha.
Sweet, if I was set on playing hundreds of acoustic gigs I might have a different perspective. Gonna guess your Fishman
Loudbox also cost 3x what I just spent? And that Joe Average listener wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between them ? Flip side is the Katana 100 Combo wouldn’t begin to cut it for my electric practice amp or gigging rig, so there haha :cool:

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
I have several really good dedicated acoustic amps, and a Katana mk 1 50W, and for most people's real world acoustic amp needs, it's great. For $125? No brainer. Plus, you get a bonus electric guitar modeling amp.

fretless

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Kat 50 and I hate it. It's possibly the worst amp I've ever owned and I'm 63 and have owned some really crappy amps. If it had been more expensive I would hate it even more.
I’m totally with you. Lord I tried to like it. I returned it within a week. And I like plenty of solid state amps…

Axe-Man

I liked my Kat Artist quite a bit. The GT1000 X-Mod amp into a poweramp sounds pretty darn good so I hope Boss graft the tech into the MkIII Kat that is likely coming sooner than later.

I think I’d bite again if Boss added Bluetooth editing via your phone like the GT1000. It would make life so easy to quickly adjust the internal EQ and difficult to access stuff. Or just throw a screen on the thing like the GT1000Core. Simplicity.

* velcro-fly *

Silver Supporting Member

Ok...gonna eat a side order of my words here....

What I thought was gonna be a one off gig of sorts has fortunately blown up into a regular gigging band opportunity. We played last Friday night and the response was terrific, we now have 5 more shows booked between now and January 15th. The Katana did fine for one night, but I knew 20 minutes into it that with a drummer involved and many bodies in the club we were in, that was gonna be it as far as being a regularly used gigging acoustic amp was gonna go. The crowd loved the sound, but I knew and could feel it that it wouldn't work full time... Absolutely will need a dedicated acoustic rig for this purpose, looking at a Fishman Loudbox Artist or a Mesa Rosette one:ten, potentially an LR Baggs Venue preamp or Mesa Rosette preamp into a powered speaker. Back to the right tool for the job....in terms of occasional at home use for the acoustic, the $125 spent on the Katana is still an insane bang for the buck, but you do get what you pay for. My daughter will thoroughly enjoy that amp. Flip side is it won't get close to my Wizard / Bogner electric rigs in any scenario, ever, for regular rock guitar sounds. So there hahaha ;)

LARRY GERSHON

Silver Supporting Member
Ok...gonna eat a side order of my words here....

What I thought was gonna be a one off gig of sorts has fortunately blown up into a regular gigging band opportunity. We played last Friday night and the response was terrific, we now have 5 more shows booked between now and January 15th. The Katana did fine for one night, but I knew 20 minutes into it that with a drummer involved and many bodies in the club we were in, that was gonna be it as far as being a regularly used gigging acoustic amp was gonna go. The crowd loved the sound, but I knew and could feel it that it wouldn't work full time... Absolutely will need a dedicated acoustic rig for this purpose, looking at a Fishman Loudbox Artist or a Mesa Rosette one:ten, potentially an LR Baggs Venue preamp or Mesa Rosette preamp into a powered speaker. Back to the right tool for the job....in terms of occasional at home use for the acoustic, the $125 spent on the Katana is still an insane bang for the buck, but you do get what you pay for. My daughter will thoroughly enjoy that amp. Flip side is it won't get close to my Wizard / Bogner electric rigs in any scenario, ever, for regular rock guitar sounds. So there hahaha ;)
It’s ok the gig is always the test. My Fishman Loudbox mini has performed flawlessly on gigs but I usually run the line out into the board for band gigs or playing louder. It makes a great acoustic monitor as well if you are running it into the pa.

* velcro-fly *

Silver Supporting Member
The Katana is actually awful (I mean really, really bad) with acoustics compared to a dedicated acoustic amp or something like a Trace Elliot Transit-A with powered PA speaker. Glad you could make it work for yourself though. For $125 I guess it might get someone by.
It served its purpose for one gig and now my daughter is stoked with her new little amp...audience loved it by I could tell 20 minutes in it wasn't going to work long term.

Myself on the other hand is gonna try out both the Trace Elliot Transit-A and a Mesa Rosette DI preamp into a Yamaha DBR10...one of the two preamps will stay. Got good deals used on both so not sweating it too bad.

JCW308

Silver Supporting Member
It served its purpose for one gig and now my daughter is stoked with her new little amp...audience loved it by I could tell 20 minutes in it wasn't going to work long term.

Myself on the other hand is gonna try out both the Trace Elliot Transit-A and a Mesa Rosette DI preamp into a Yamaha DBR10...one of the two preamps will stay. Got good deals used on both so not sweating it too bad.
YES, now you're talking! This is almost the same setup I have. Transit-A into different powered PA speakers. Nothing else needed (no other preamp). You will love it!

* velcro-fly *

Silver Supporting Member
YES, now you're talking! This is almost the same setup I have. Transit-A into different powered PA speakers. Nothing else needed (no other preamp). You will love it!
Gotta give you credit, the Transit wasn't even on my radar until you mentioned it.... :cool: I'll stand by my original statement though that for $125 this is an insane little rig, far exceeds anything most of us had access to starting out way back when

Top Bottom