• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What the Boss Katana got right.....

* velcro-fly *

Silver Supporting Member
This thread has everything a good Katana thread should.

The breathless, hyperbolic recommendation.

The mild, but measured disappointment.

And finally, the dumping it for something else.
Yeah, no.....

Back to the $125 spent, still best bang for the buck music gear money I've spent. For anyone that will only play at home or plug their acoustic in occasionally, you will not find a better value, period. If my needs stopped after one gig it would've been 100% success and I prob wouldn't have gone any farther with it. Flip side is, as I predicted the patrons in the club loved the sound and couldn't tell the difference and I asked specifically about how it sounded. We were booked for two more gigs at the same club and three others elsewhere based on the response. I could tell and feel the difference, but I still got paid more than what that amp cost me. The real shortcomings were not apparent until it was in the mix with other instruments. I don't think Boss intended this to be a pro level, working musicians item. Hell yeah I'll upgrade what I'm going to now use regularly, but I wont hesitate to fire it up at home when I'm on my own, and my kid will use it all the time. No dumping of anything.

To be clear as well, I got this solely for the acoustic sim available....no way I would've bought it for any of the drive tones, and I for sure confirmed that today running through those for the first time. But as a $125 at home plug and play acoustic rig? No problem.

LaXu

The Boss Katana is a great unit in its price range. You will find many amps that are better sounding, but you will not find many in that same budget price range.

Many of us own amps that cost probably anything from 3-10x the cost of a Katana 100 so that's like saying that you are disappointed that a cafeteria lunch did not taste like a 5 course meal from a fancy restaurant. They were never meant to be the same thing.

NatGardner

If it's garbage what does it matter that it's cheap?
I play classic rock 50's through Metallica. 3 years ago, after I read a few things about the software, I spent an hour adjusting my K 50. I adjusted the global eq, the Tube screamer, the Blues driver, Rat, verb, delay, chorus, flanger and phaser to my liking. I then set up the 4 presets with 3 stages of gain set on the crunch channel and a OD ) and a clean channel. I tweaked it ( B,M,T ) from there to cut more after I cranked it to jam with a few players. I also push it with a EQ pedal for solo boost. Its not a gig worthy cranked tube amp, but I use it to practice at home or to just jam. This is the best sub $200 practice tool out there and when I crank it I can bring it to our band rehearsal room. If you spent 5 minutes on mine you may change your mind.

Barquentine

I play classic rock 50's through Metallica. 3 years ago, after I read a few things about the software, I spent an hour adjusting my K 50. I adjusted the global eq, the Tube screamer, the Blues driver, Rat, verb, delay, chorus, flanger and phaser to my liking. I then set up the 4 presets with 3 stages of gain set on the crunch channel and a OD ) and a clean channel. I tweaked it ( B,M,T ) from there to cut more after I cranked it to jam with a few players. I also push it with a EQ pedal for solo boost. Its not a gig worthy cranked tube amp, but I use it to practice at home or to just jam. This is the best sub $200 practice tool out there and when I crank it I can bring it to our band rehearsal room. If you spent 5 minutes on mine you may change your mind.
I'm glad you found a use for it. I don't like having to use software to get usable sounds. Nothing against others doing it, it's just not for me. If people are having fun with the Katana that's the main thing. If price was the measure of an amp's sonic appeal you would expect a Boogie Mark V or similar to be everyone's dream amp but there are many that don't like them. I'm having a good time with my Quilter Cub that I've had for less than a week. Anyone who doesn't like the sound of a clean/lightly overdriven old Fender wouldn't like it at all.

Last edited:

Barquentine

The Boss Katana is a great unit in its price range. You will find many amps that are better sounding, but you will not find many in that same budget price range.

Many of us own amps that cost probably anything from 3-10x the cost of a Katana 100 so that's like saying that you are disappointed that a cafeteria lunch did not taste like a 5 course meal from a fancy restaurant. They were never meant to be the same thing.
It's a great unit in it's price range if you like the sound of it. You wouldn't think a cafeteria lunch was good value if it was inedible.

Z Boogieman

When I got my Katana amps home, I was not immediately impressed with them by any means. I bought them used, and expecting immediate gratification.

I bought them used, and who knows what the previous owners did, setting up the amp.

I did the factory reset, and eventually the latest available updates. I put my choice of effects into the banks. That’s it, and gave it some time for me to understand.

What I came to realize, was there was potential in the amp. The cleans alone were as good as what I could remember about my old Jazz Chorus amp.

The presets in the banks are nothing that I would ever use.

The channels however, immediately had some sort of a familiarity, and instant recognition, although needing some tweaking with a few knobs on the amp.
Getting familiar, and consistent with my tonal results, took about a week. I had to remain focused on one thing at a time, until I understood the interaction of the knobs. To me, it is like trying to fully learn how to use a really useful effects pedal, not just one trick on the pedal.

The next step was setting up my V1 Katana 100 combo, in A/B with my favourite, proven amps. I could easily get a 95 to 98% match within minutes, and can now quickly dial in what I want. In a band mix, I honestly don’t think anyone can tell the difference, at all. If talent is being well displayed, then that is what will be heard.

I primarily use it as a practice amp at home, that quickly takes me to a sound that is close enough, for learning songs. The only real difference between recordings I am using as a baseline for learning songs, and my end results, is that the baseline sound is professionally studio engineered with talented musicians, vs. my 50 plus years of only dabbling experience.

It is a great tool, and I have a lot of gear to choose from.

I am going to say that expecting too much, too quickly, and user errors are the main reasons for any negativity on the Katana bashing wagon.

Top Bottom