What the heck is a Pono?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by jrcorp, Jan 23, 2015.

1. jrcorp

jrcorp Member

I saw repeated posts about a "pono store" and assumed it was a nickname for some way of buying music. I had no idea. After looking around for a few minutes, it looks to me like a huge ripoff. I can appreciate audio quality, but sadly I don't think I have the ears to hear differences past a certain point.

I'm a little surprised the kickstarter was able to raise so much money. To me, the whole thing sounds like something for the hipster-type audiophile crowd to brag about. It looks so expensive.

Is this something that I could possibly be interested in? Does it have a chance to catch on and become popular? Or is it something for a very small population?

2. mge80

mge80 Member

Pretty sure the only person that can answer this question is you. That is, unless you're the type that asks other people if you like chocolate ice cream or skinny jeans.

3. Custom50

Custom50 Member

A new way to listen to your music that may sound different from the old way you listened to your music.

4. jrcorp

jrcorp Member

Thanks for the snark, but I think you missed. Chocolate ice cream is okay, and I don't know how to define skinny jeans anymore.

I've been planning to rip my CD's to high-bitrate MP3 and also shop for a turntable for awhile. I guess I feel like for most people, the signal chain, including the ears at the end, isn't good enough to translate the super high quality audio that this service intends to provide.

5. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

You can listen to hi-def on your computer(hopefully through nice phones or a good system) if you configure the settings right. On an Apple go to Applications:Utilities:AudioMIDI Set-up and crank that baby up to 24bit 96Khz. The Pono is simply a portable player. I haven't heard it but I have heard the Fiio X5 and it's stunning. You need to download at least one hi-def album to give it a chance. Do you like Yes? Download Fragile from HDtracks. It kills. Sounds waaay better than any CD release.

6. loudboy

loudboy Member

From what I gather, the Pono has good converters and more importantly, good analog playback circuitry, so in theory, everything should sound better.

7. neoprimitive

neoprimitive Member

PONO = something most of us aren't going to buy.
    great idea, but I think it's body is too heavy for its wings to fly very high or far. I could be wrong, but I know I won't be buying one or repurchasing my entire music collection. if i win powerball lottery, then that may change.
    I can listen to flac files on my little sansa clips, albeit minus the high rate converters. but they still sound great with well ripped 256/320 mp3's..
    i understand the benefits of pono, but I think only audiophiles will care enough to make the investment and dive in. the average person on the street doesn't know or care about it.

8. jrcorp

jrcorp Member

The Fiio was mentioned in an article - seems like it offers roughly the same features as any other HD type player for relatively little money.

I don't have any Apple products right now. I listen to mostly MP3's or internet radio through my computer or phone; the computer runs out to a Fast Track Pro and to Alesis monitors, the phone either to earbuds or a Bluetooth speaker. In the car, I listen to CD's or radio.

I feel like I would have to invest so much to be able to hear what these files can offer. I can try to appreciate the quality, and maybe I would be blown away to hear some music in FLAC or a similar file. But even then, I don't have the cash and don't know that in the case of Pono it's worth it.

Sorry for typing like an ass about it. I kind of assumed that this kind of stuff would naturally appeal to some of the TGP crowd as expensive, high-quality stuff I may or may not be able to appreciate.

9. wcfields

wcfields Member

Yep. Fiio some great players for way less money that are just as good OR better....

10. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Hi-def albums cost the same as a CD. These new portable players are cheap in audiophile money. Audiophiles spend that much on a two foot speaker cable.

11. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

If it's not a kind of guitar, I don't care.

Oh wait, it is a kind of guitar. Made in Hawaii, very affordable acoustics. I'd like to try one of the parlors.

[​IMG]
    http://ponoguitar.com

12. paulg

paulg Supporting Member

I was reading an interesting article on audio. The writer pointed out that audio is the only medium that has gotten worse. Video has gone to huge lengths to improve its quality. And it's paid off, big time. Audio sank to its lowest level with MP3 s. But it's now changing. Pono, cheaper and better DACS, high rez streaming are good for music. But I think the big change really will be driven by improvements in the cost of storage and transfer speeds. Audio takes up much less space than video. So, hearing higher rez music will become a non issue. There will be no point to mp3s and lower quality sound. Is Pono right for you? Well it would be a step in the right direction, the future!

13. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

A psychological experiment.

14. grill

grill Member

i think it's spelled wrong.

15. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Get your mind out of the gutter, sailor.

16. FPFL

FPFL Member

Convenient beats quality for most people with music. Pono is a doomed vanity project if you think it's going big. It may scrape by for audiophiles but I doubt it.

Young has hated digital for too long to change it. I'm glad to tell him to get off my lawn.

17. jrcorp

jrcorp Member

Haha I wondered the same thing at first - "pono store..."

Yeah, this seemed like a kind of change in thinking for Young and I'm not sure it'll work out for him.

A little OT, and I can start a new thread, but what would you recommend for improving the quality of what I listen to in an affordable way? Should I try FLAC? I feel like my CD's are obsolete.

18. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Go to a garage sale and get a good receiver and speakers for $50(I got Boston Acoustic speakers and a Nakamichi receiver at a garage sale). Get a $25Fiio DAC. You can spend much more on a DAC but that's a good start. Don't ditch your CDs. If you really want to learn....read Perfecting Sound Forever by Greg Milner.

19. MORE BARN

MORE BARN Member

Sounds about right for Neil..,

20. loudboy

loudboy Member

I'd go either FLAC or .wav, storage is cheap and a .wav file has a very slim chance of ever becoming abandoned.

Your CDs are not obsolete - the Redbook Standard is capable of fabulous sound.

Concentrate on getting high-quality D/A and followup circuitry and your CDs will sound great.