what the heck is going on in Japan?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Turbo Gerbil, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Turbo Gerbil

Turbo Gerbil Member

2. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    Looks like the desert is wired with at least 120VAC :dunno Who would have thought that? :huh

dahctor, evanjackson, Funky54 and 5 others like this.
  3. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

They plug into currant bushes.

:red

4. Sleepyscholar

Sleepyscholar Member

What happened was Babymetal.

Interest in foreign music has nosedived over the last 30 years, and the overwhelming majority of young people like J-Pop and K-Pop.

Babymetal, while still a very minor band in Japan, attracted attention abroad. So they became the new template, because even though interest in foreign music has gone down, people here still like the idea of Japanese bands achieving success overseas.

5. phretbored

phretbored Member

keep em coming it's great to get a chance to check these J bands out thanks to modern media

stumbled across Gacharic Spin a couple years ago and became a fan

then that leads to finding other bands to check out

some i liked and some i did not

it's been a good while since i surveyed the latest so i am going to revisit the Youtube rabbit hole and see what i can find...

aynirar27 likes this.
  6. AltecGreen

AltecGreen Silver Supporting Member

Many Japanese bands have certainly been helped by Babymetal to gain an audience. Although most of the bands listed by the OP predate Babymetal by many years. Stereopony broke up in 2012. Band-maid for sure have benefitted from the attention generated by Babymetal and are close to breaking out outside of Asia. Aldious is performing in the US for the first time next week at NAMM. D_drive is opening for the SHE ROCKS Awards next week at NAMM. Brats is playing an anime convention in LA this week. Since the dam broke in the 80's for female bands in Japan, there have been a steady stream of all female acts in Japan with several waves of bands. Aldious started the ten plus year trend for all-female heavy metals bands. The number of such bands in Japan is staggering.

Gacharic Spin is still going strong and just finished celebrating their tenth anniversary. If you haven't checked them out recently there have been major changes with Hana moving from drums to guitar and the addition of new drummer Yuri and MC performer Angie 1/3 who is 17.

Here are some other bands not mentioned above.

Lovebites - won best new metal band at the Golden Hammer awards a few years ago and are making big strides in the metal scene outside of Japan. One of the many bands that splintered off from Destrose.

Girlfriend - just celebrated their third year. They are following a similar path to Scandal (see above).

Girls Rock Band Kakumei

Mary's Blood - the first splinter band from Destrose.

Shisamo

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  7. brain-eating amoeba

brain-eating amoeba Member

Very cool! American Rock scene is tad enemic, particularly for Chicas...:confused:

Spooky Action, sahhas and AltecGreen like this.
  8. AltecGreen

The rock scene certainly is not anemic in Japan. Female rockers have been a thing for over a decade and seems to be getting even stronger. There's a deep pipeline of musicians coming up right now in Japan.

More all-female bands worth checking out.

Bridear

Existtrace

Chelsy - sadly they broke up in 2018

Silent Sirens - like the string players from Scandal, the string players in Sai Sai have Fender signature guitars. Not bad for ex-fashion models.

Raise a Suilen - the Monkees crossed with Dethklok

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  9. Corvid

Corvid Member

I would agree if you're talking major label. Indies, I think, is "thriving." Maybe not economically, but it's never been easier to find great indie rock music, including woman-led and all-women bands in/from the US.

The women rock bands you see in Japan on YouTube and the like are largely major label-sponsored. Although they only represent a fraction of major label-produced music in Japan, there is enough of a market that they can exist. It seems to me like most of their fans are either teenaged girls or older, single men. It's telling that there are far more major label rock bands in Japan featuring men in their 40s, 50s, and 60s than women of the same age. In other words, and not to malign the skills of women rock bands in Japan, but it seems like a good portion of their appeal, as far as major labels are concerned, is their youth and attractiveness.

But all of the above is based on the vague impressions have gleaned living here for years - just anecdotal. I have no hard data to back up my assumptions, so feel free to take them with a heaping spoonful of salt.

I will note, however, as I mentioned recently in another thread, whenever I go out to the closest major train station, I usually see two to three women, appearing to be in their late teens or early 20s (I'm terrible at guessing ages), with an electric guitar in a gig bag strapped to their backs. So, again anecdotally, the boom in women guitar players in Japan doesn't seem entirely manufactured.

10. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

I had no idea Japanese animé was popular in Louisiana.

Gasp100 likes this.
  11. AltecGreen

Those that are in their 50's and 60's are rare. Those would be from the first wave of all-female rock bands in Japan. Show-ya was the band that broke the barrier and made it possible for the others to follow in the 80's Those 80's bands still are around and tend to get together once a year at the Show-ya produced Naon Yaon festival during Golden Week. You then have a gap in the early 90's for various reasons.

You have a few odd bands like Onmyo-ya that had success in the 90's. It was in the 2000's that the next big wave hit and to seems to be growing rather than shrinking. Bands like Scandal have been around a dozen years and have reached a level of success that they have their own label. Aldious has been around since 2009 and started the decade long trend. So really the scene for women has been around for about a decade. Bear in mind that Aldoius made an impact because they were an indie band that suddenly topped the charts.

Corvid likes this.
  12. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

If metal never left the mainstream in the US, could this be what current Pop would look like? Maybe. Asian countries do think Rock and R&B are still cool.

korean pop for instance has had two recent examples of giving back to the US. This is the R&B:

And this is the rock- at Coachella no less:

Keep in mind this is Pop. Of course there are real rock bands and real R&B groups that wouldn’t sniff this pop. But the point is- this is mainstream popular music and you hear things here that seem to be gone from the US now.

japan does seem to have a much stronger impetus than other countries right now to have actual musicians rocking their own instruments even for poppier stuff. The only two I can think of for Mainstream Korean pop would be the wonder girls and AOA.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    Gasp100 likes this.
  13. djdrdave

djdrdave Member

Very cool. I love japan

Dr. Tweedbucket likes this.
  14. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Member

In America, we call this music Avril Lavigne.

15. Simto

Simto Member

Why do I live in Denmark...

rizla likes this.
  16. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Deserts in Japan?

Who knew?

Dr. Tweedbucket likes this.
  17. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

This is what happens when all the cute little nine year old shredders in the YouTube videos grow up.

4inchjones, beanbass, woof* and 2 others like this.
  18. Northerner

Northerner Member

Idoru is right around the corner

BarryE likes this.
  19. RLD

RLD Member

Models and video editing...nothing new.

20. Simto

Simto Member

FYI, you should check out Tricot. I've been aware of them the last two-three years, but only recently started listening to them.

This is one of the coolest songs I've heard in a long time. It's so ****ing good! I love how desperate and chaotic it sounds, like they're just barely hanging on, but pushing through.
    Cool imagery in the video too, I want the camera they shot it with lol.

jgyn and AltecGreen like this.