what the heck is going on in Japan?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Turbo Gerbil, Jan 11, 2020.

1. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

Yep. That's true for several of the more heavy and/or experimental Japanese metal bands like Boris. Sigh is another band which perhaps could be mentioned here:

Sleepyscholar and AltecGreen like this.
  2. chill

chill Member

Let me introduce Mama Metal!

SURFA, Misterbulbous and will132 like this.
  3. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

4. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

Rock from the top 50 albums in Japan this week...also for those who asked about Kpop; there are 11 Kpop entries in the Japanese top 50 albums this week and 0 from the entire rest of the world:

Polka Dot Stingray #6
    Shiina Ringo #16 (peak #1) (mix of styles)
    Golden Bomber #17 (peak #4)
    Climbgrow #43

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  5. bruno_desmartass

bruno_desmartass Member

MELT BANANA

Some good old-fashioned art noise rock. Saw them open the show for Napalm Death and the Melvins a few years back. Very intense live. I think they stole the show, but what do I know....?

-Bruno

Frater B likes this.
  6. SURFA

SURFA Member

Some fantastic bands here. Thanks! And I like this guys from Japan.

7. GerryJ

GerryJ Member

Some of you seem quite familiar with contemporary Japanese culture & society. Friends of mine who have lived there say it's remarkably cohesive, but also that they view other societies (ie, non-Japanese) as less civilized.
    From a Western view, is it harder to understand the Japanese mindset than other Asian countries (China, S. Korea, Vietnam)?

8. chill

chill Member

Yes. There is a great book about Japanese culture by Thomas Cleary. In it there is a story of a conversation between a US and Japanese politician discussing trade agreements. The American complained that even as Japan complained about being misunderstood, it does not try to make itself understood. The Japanese smiled and said, "That is Japanese."

GerryJ likes this.
  9. harpinon

harpinon Member

The Japanese love their metal. Metal bands spend extra time there because of it. The fans even still like 80's hair metal.

10. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

I love me some Band-Maid, but old school Loudness just never gets old.

11. shibby

shibby Member

Melt Banana is AWESOME AWESOME.

I've seen them live so many times, one of my favorite live acts to catch. However unfortunately, after they lost their drummer and bass player and went with a drum machine backline, they really lost alot of their live performance organic feel.

This particular performance strangely and most accurately captures the MB live experience at their peak game IMO

Frater B likes this.
  12. shibby

shibby Member

Mass of Fermenting Dregs

Weird band name, but they are excellent. Do listen

55goldtop and jwny72 like this.
  13. shibby

shibby Member

The only Japanese idol rock band I really like is Babymetal. Though they peaked at their debut album IMO

14. Turbo Gerbil

Turbo Gerbil Member

Band-Maids rhythm section kinda kicks butt...

15. Corvid

Corvid Member

I think "view other societies as less civilized" is quite an exaggeration, but I suppose when Japanese people watch the news and hear about all the violent crimes committed in other countries (because, like the news in any country, Japanese news sensationalizes the shocking and the extraordinary), Japan seems like a much safer and all around more stable country. Which is not to say that no crime, or that no violent crime, occurs in the country.

As for the difficulty of understanding the Japanesr mindset versus other Asian countries, I couldn't tell you. I only really have experience with Japan. I will say, however, that I generally felt very comfortable with how things work here, how people interact, how you're supposed to comport yourself, etc. right from the start. So I guess it depends on what kind of person you are in the first place, but the overarching Japanese attitude or personality (which is not to say Japanese people are monolith; far from it) is not dissimilar at all to the way some people are in my home country of the USA, for example. It's just so few people learn the language to real fluency, in either direction, that Japan remains largely "foreign" to the West, in my opinion. Other Asian nations have a much larget diasporas, giving more people the chance to interact with them and for the culture to be "normalized" in the West.

Sleepyscholar and GerryJ like this.
  16. aliensporebomb

aliensporebomb Member

One of my favorite Japanese bands of all time:

Check out the metrical modulations - like Henry Cow handling Slayer charts!

Much more mellow:

Fireworks start at 1:30:

Count it out!

Super bummed they announced their second breakup (and on April Fool's day no less) last year.

17. AltecGreen

AltecGreen Silver Supporting Member

I just got my copy of Virgin-A. I bought it used from Amazon Japan. I did have to use a proxy service.

aynirar27 likes this.
  18. aynirar27

aynirar27 Notable Member Gold Supporting Member

that’s awesome man. I have to figure out how to do that.
    I have enough trouble getting their blue rays to play on my laptop because of zoning or whatever haha.

19. AltecGreen

AltecGreen Silver Supporting Member

It's not too hard. You have to sign-up for a proxy service. I use Zenmarket and White Rabbit. You go to Amazon.jp and find the item. You copy the link to the item and send it to the proxy service. They will verify the item is available and then you can buy it. For Zenmarket, you'll need to deposit funds into their account while White Rabbit will buy it immediately if you give them your CC info. The service buys the item and it is shipped to their warehouse. You then have them ship the item to you. The fee structure is different for different service providers. Zenmarket is a flat ¥300 per item. White Rabbit charges a 10% fee but is much faster and better for pre-order items. It makes sense to buy a bunch of items since the service will store them in their warehouse. You can them have them ship multiple items to you at once. This is how I buy Cds, pedals, and guitars from Japan.

aynirar27 likes this.
  20. aynirar27

aynirar27 Notable Member Gold Supporting Member

very cool, thanks man. I’ll definitely check that out.
    Much appreciated :beer