What The Heck Is This Inside My Rat?

Proco knows that these were meant to last forever, but who d have expected they d go as far as throwing in a Cov19 rat survival kit - just in case..

Last edited:

jdel77

It’s a paper in oil capacitor. Unusually large, but probably what the guy who built it had on hand at the time. ProCo make all sorts of audio devices.

James Freeman

That is a 2 transistor 4 diode Proco Rat 2, right before they switched to using 3PDT, schematic below.
The two extra diodes and transistor are in the On/Off LED indicator circuitry, green color in the schematic below.

The two sound clipping diodes are replaced by a small package with LEDs for Turbo Rat or Diodes for standard Rat.
Probably was more expensive to manufacture the package than just to solder the diodes/LEDs so they stopped using this package very quickly.

Sorry to disappoint, this RAT is not special and is not a "collectible" that costs a million dollars. :)

Last edited:

ED_P

Silver Supporting Member
All I know is if a famous guitarist had one and used it on a popular album, those capacitors would be selling for $50 each, and modded Rats would be selling for $100 more to get that tone.

Surgeon

I was hoping to see a X-Ray of an actual rat that had been used to smuggle something cool in the country.
I'm highly disappointed, I should've looked at which room this was posted in. bummer.

Neptical

That right there is the birth of the SD-1 ...longed to be lost ...a red headed step child...in a better world as a BOSS.

SubApathy

Platinum Supporting Member
That is a 2 transistor 4 diode Proco Rat 2, right before they switched to using 3PDT, schematic below.
The two extra diodes and transistor are in the On/Off LED indicator circuitry, green color in the schematic below.

The two sound clipping diodes are replaced by a small package with LEDs for Turbo Rat or Diodes for standard Rat.
Probably was more expensive to manufacture the package than just to solder the diodes/LEDs so they stopped using this package very quickly.

Sorry to disappoint, this RAT is not special and is not a "collectible" that costs a million dollars. :)

Not collectible? Tell that to Josh Scott...
He might want it (unless he already has it). Lol!

Trending Topics