What the heck is wrong with me?

Gas Hed

Why is it that yesterday when I was playing through my amp it was the best sounding amp on the planet. Today I plug in, same settings, same guitar, but different tone that I'm not happy with it thinking it's time to go tone chasing. There must be something wrong with me, like clinical.

Does this happen to you??

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, all the time. My taste in tone changes with my mood day-by-day. Also, the exact position I'm standing in the room impacts how things sound to me.

It also might have to do with how our ears perceive midrange tones differently depending on how long we've been listening to loud sounds.

Stu Blue

What you are experiencing is that humans hear what they been told to hear, or just that bit of the sound spectrum that your brain has focused on. Tell yourself the amp sounds great and it will sound great. Start having doubts and listening for faults in your tone and, sure as eggs is eggs, you will hear something wrong with your amps tone.

Put headphones on and listen to these guys below, at least the first few minute to the end of Poppy's bit, and experience for yourself how easily and convincingly the human ear can be fooled. Actually it says that 90% of the tonal claims in TGP are B/S, honest and heartfelt but B/S.

harpinon

All the time. Get used to it.
I like having a few amps rather than just one. When it hits, I ususlly find what I want in one of the other amps.

BluesForDan

Silver Supporting Member
ssdd, literally

physical - atmospheric pressure, humidity, temperature, time of day, variation in electrical grid's output

psychological - less stressed, more stressed, played after exposure to loud noise, played after restful quietude, disturbed by crappy stories on the news, blissfully ignorant, hungry, full, horny, satisfied

psychobabble - moon in 7th house, not in 7th house, baby got a black cat bone, baby doesn't, butterfly in Tibet flapped its wings, hawk in Tibet ate the butterfly.

Rhombus

Not really... I notice different things, but I think the judgement of sounds is what is doing it to your brain. :D

motokev

Happens to me all the time, therefore you're OK.
That's why its best to have at least two or more amps. This way you can take a break from one and move onto the other.

majorminor

Gold Supporting Member
Same guitar, same cord, same exact place, same amp tonight as last night. Tonight reverb, treble, and volume down. Sounds huge on 2. For me it's some combination of sinuses, how rested I feel, and what noises I've been exposed to that day.

IM4Tone

All the time. Get used to it.
I like having a few amps rather than just one. When it hits, I ususlly find what I want in one of the other amps.
:agree Plus a different guitar and different effects pedals or a different pre-amp effect......they all help you get through it and back to focusing on playing!

madspirit

Happens to me frequently. Same environs, same gear, same settings. God-like at times. Other times, really good but not God-like. I've chalked it up to various things (inconsistent power, string life, aliens). The other day, I fitted all new tubes and new strings, dimed both of my Dr. Z Maz 18s, hit open G and all I could think was "I'd give a million bucks to hear this exact tone every time". Never gonna happen though.

tamader74

I was going to say pedals,...which at most times is 'the root of all tonal evil' when playing by ones self. I have Tinnitus (ringing in the ears...another one of my hang-over from Hard Chemo. treatments) and sometimes I have to re-dial in the amp. to get it 'right'.

I use mostly just a boost pedal, unless I'm playing my Tele. and then I may add a little delay, with my Strat.'s I may add a touch of Chorus (rarely though),...I guess I'm a whole lot like my hero's,...guitar, cord, amp. kinda' guy,...and if a pedal is used, it's just that,' A pedal'.

I suggest when this happens to you again, and you ARE using a pedal board...don't just run through it with all the effects and pedals off,...Just plug the guitar straight into the amp. (I'm just putting this out there in case you are running thru. a board). Tom

jrbanjo

I've recently come to a few conclusions....

1) amp shoot outs are a (possibly) flawed idea. You can like one amp one day, and another the next day...different amps have different sounds, don't try to expect apples to sound like, er, pears!
2) you can probably coax a decent sound out of any decent amp
3) the knobs on your amp and guitar can turn and can be adjusted for a reason so for god's sake, turn them! Even if it's between every song!
4) did a gig tonight and got a great lesson in "wow, a smaller amp turned up louder would have been better and here's why...."
5) have lot's of amps and think about the gig you are going to do and grab the right one...I don't own a twin, but I have an outdoor gig this weekend and I know my vibrolux is going to be blowing up...so go buy more amps!!!!

jrbanjo

Why is it that yesterday when I was playing through my amp it was the best sounding amp on the planet. Today I plug in, same settings, same guitar, but different tone that I'm not happy with it thinking it's time to go tone chasing. There must be something wrong with me, like clinical.

Does this happen to you??
I had an HRD 4x10 once. LOVED it in the store. Spent a month with it and stopped loving it. But then one moring, family gone, fresh cup of coffee and a little volume, it had a heavenly tone going...I think A LOT of it is mindset.

Phletch

Dude, you have issues. Seek professional help immediately. (I kid, I kid) :D

Seriously, there's all kinds of reasons, none of them serious. You liked your amp/toanz when you bought it, right? Your tone "ideal" hasn't changed, has it? If that hasn't changed (that is, you haven't decided that what you thought you wanted tonally is no longer what you want) - and there's nothing physically wrong with the amp - then it's all in your head.

Give it a rest. Play unplugged, and focus on what you're playing. Come back tomorrow, and dial in your amp if necessary. Tomorrow is a new day, and you're a different person than what you were yesterday, in a quasi-metaphysical, psycho-babble sense.

Focus more on the music you're making, less on the gear. It's cheaper, and you'll sound better in the long run.

As some wise TGP'r once wrote - "Less Ebay, more Mel Bay."

Just my .02

PS - Unless your hobby is more about collecting gear, then all bets are off. If that's the case, then this may be some subconscious manifestation as a way to justify another amp purchase. Only you know whether or not that's the case.

OilsFan

Silver Supporting Member
Voltage can have a big impact too. My amp sounds way better at 117v than 122v.

DaveKS

If it's not voltage, it's you.

Just shut it down, walk across the room and open up another case.

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
I had an HRD 4x10 once. LOVED it in the store. Spent a month with it and stopped loving it. But then one moring, family gone, fresh cup of coffee and a little volume, it had a heavenly tone going...I think A LOT of it is mindset.

Moral of the story - things sound better when the family is gone :).

Trending Topics