1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

What the hell is a 'Vibe'?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by electronpirate, Sep 27, 2006.

1. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

After listening to clips of a Vibe, I've heard that sound through many different classic rock albums, and I WANT IT.

But what the hell is a 'Vibe'? Some sort of rotating speaker thingy? (Any Rocktron Xpression owners chime in here and tell me if I can do that with my Xpression.)

And to open another can of worms:

Which one is the best?

EP

2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Refers to a whole group of pedals modelled after the Uni-Vibe of the 60s, which was originally designed to be a rotating speaker effect. Hendrix and Trower both used it quite a bit.

FullTone's Deja Vibe, SweetSound's mojo vibe and FoxRox Captain Coconut are the high end units, but they're pricey.

I have a Dunlop Uni-vibe stereo chorus for sale for $85 shipped if you're interested.

3. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Supporting Member

Here we go again! :jo

The Univibe was invented to try to copy the Leslie rotating speaker sound. It failed. But ... it is a great sound on it's own. It is a type of phased chorus. Most of the modern Univibe clones have two modes - Vibrato and Chorus. The Vibrato is NOT Vibe. It is pitch modulation, a little can go a long way. The Chorus mode is the "univibe" sound. Welcome to swrily heaven.

The original Univibes are very expensive, occasionally glitchy, and getting older every day.

The new full blown univibe clones are all excellent. In no particular order:

Sweetsound Mojo Vibe
    Fulltone Deja Vibe
    Retroman Uber Vibe
    Effectrode Tube Vibe
    KR Mega Vibe
    MJM Sixties Vibe
    Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe
    Presciption Vibe Unit
    Foxrox Provibe (part of the Captain Coconut)

Pick one. :dude

4. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Supporting Member

Dunlop now owns the "Univibe" brand name. They make two pedals with Univibe in the name: the Univibe and the Univibe Stereo Chorus. The first one has the key photocells and chorus/vibrato modes like the original Univibe. The second one is a stereo chorus pedal.

:crazy

5. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Even though it's called a chorus (just as one mode of the Univibe is called), it still sounds like a Univibe. It's not the same effect as a traditional chorus.

6. drolling

drolling Member

I've been thru' a few of 'em on the quest for the ultimate vibetones, and my search ended w/a Sweetsound UltraVibe. They've been discontinued in favour of a much smaller wallwart-powered package called MojoVibe, but if you're just looking to get your feet wet w/o spending a lot of money, I'd recommend the $29 Danelectro Chicken Salad. The Dano mini-pedal contains a miniaturized lightbulb & photocell circuit that's at the heart of the unique throb of a vibe. This little guy sounds as good as a VL MicroVibe & better than the Dunlop Univibe to me..

7. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

<Chortle>

Now THAT's the kind of advice I like!

Not a big pedal guy, and just run simple delay, verb, some chorus sometimes, but that swirly thick sound really caught my ear. I do own some high end pedals that I have now not really found a use for (RCBooster, COT50,) but I might actually USE this one.

EP

8. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Isn't a Uni-vibe/vibe essentially a 4-stage phaser?

As for vibrato, anybody who claims a uni-vibe/phaser can produce accurate vibrato tones, hasn't heard real vibrato. It's a completly different thing.

9. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I believe there is some tremolo action going on in a vibe as well. Maybe not fully off, but some LFO action with volume...probably originally to simulate the sound of speaker pointing various degrees away from you then towards. I thought also some vibrato (even in the chorus side) to simulat slight doppler...but maybe that is covered in the "4-stage phaser" part?

10. cameron

cameron Member

11. brown meadows

brown meadows Member

if you can find one... a stand alone FoxRox Provibe, I had a '93 model and sold it in '99...man I reget it. I loved that thing. Tom Lanik at North Star Audio sold it to me in '94, what cool UniVibe sounds...nobody was making or using them then to my knowledge.

12. trisonic

trisonic Member

The best one is the cheapest, the Danelectro Chicken Salad.

I think that there is a cottage industry somwhere putting them in sturdier boxes.....

Best, Pete.

13. alanbass1

alanbass1 Member

I was after that elusive 'vibe sound and couldn't quite get that early Gilmour or the Hendrix thing with the current crop of 'vibes (I had the Sweet Soud Mojo Vibe and Fulltone Mini Vibe for a time). I actually got there by the most expensive route and that is to chain an Analogueman Chorus, Fulltone SupaTrem and J Everman Fuzz 2 (set real low to thicken and give edge to the sound). When set up right this combination really nails the sound.....but at a price. I really should have better things to do!!!

14. hb_nz

hb_nz Member

Always nice to see a plug for the Dano Chicken Salad. Even though I now have the Provibe on the CC2, the Dano still holds it own. Buy 'em up while they're still cheap I reckon.

15. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

At the Danelectro price, you can get 10 for the price of one of the pricier ones.

16. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

For a bit more scratch than the Dano (but less than a Jerry Jones electric sitar!), I got a Red Witch Deluxe Moon Phaser... it has a very flexible phase sound, a smooth & subtle tremolo setting and a couple of settings that can approximate a vibe (surprisingly the settings of just phase come about as close or closer to a vibe sound than the phase + tremolo settings).

Anyway, it gets close enough for me, as I'm broke!