What the loudest amp you've played?

keto

Stiletto Deuce. Extremely fatiguing to listen to for any length of time at all.

mid 70's YBA-1 was no slouch, nor was my Hiwatt DR504. The Hiwatt sounded great up loud tho.

Jon C

Silver Supporting Member
My '78 Mesa Boogie Super 60 (aka Mark I)... not a monster in absolute terms but while I had it ('78-99) it literally rattled my windows and shook the walls, lol.

sharpshooter

After doing a thread search, for, Ampeg, I see that many others have already opined on V4s.
Yes,,it was that way with my first one, in '75, with a full stack.
Yes,,it still is today, with my second one, with just two 2-12s, with Altecs.
And,,I'am sure that many, me too,,if not all, would slather praise on the absolutely solid clear sound, even at low volumes.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Silver Supporting Member
After doing a thread search, for, Ampeg, I see that many others have already opined on V4s.
Yes,,it was that way with my first one, in '75, with a full stack.
Yes,,it still is today, with my second one, with just two 2-12s, with Altecs.
And,,I'am sure that many, me too,,if not all, would slather praise on the absolutely solid clear sound, even at low volumes.
Like you, I had Ampeg VT22's as well with Altecs.. Actually I ran 2 of them for big concerts I did in the early 70's. One gig we opened up for West, Bruce, and Lange and i swear those 2 ampegs were louder and clearer than the 4 100 watt Marshall stacks that Leslie West was using

NorCal_Val

My '97 Mesa Triple Rec through 2 4x12 Recto Cabs.
I was playing my de-tuned Ibanez Universe at the time.
Pulverizing, but it sounded fantastic.

1969 Laney Supergroup. It is measured at 120 watts and has Partridge transformers. Band mates were getting anxious at level 2. Sweaty at level 5. Their faces melted off at full volume with an added RAT pedal.

I'm not easily scared but you feel physical fear.

m@2

My 1970 super lead was crazy loud, but I gotta say, a cranked Fender Twin is almost as loud with less watts

guiltless

3 Channel Mesa Triple Recto. Not sure why I felt I needed that much power. Though, that was when I though more tubes = more tone. That thing had a TON of tubes. That is how I learned my lesson.

mkstylee

Marshall YJM100 when i first got the amp i turned the built in attenuator the wrong way and it was like a shotgun going off ,very loud amp.

J.H.

MusicMan 140HD I had one of the early ones. 130w 10x4 combo. It was the loudest, and the heaviest amp I've ever had.

LeifH

Traynor YBA Custom Special, 250W bass amp, with a Gibson Marauder... Big Mistake! I still have no hair on some parts!!

GTRJoe

Silver Supporting Member
I played in a band with a guy who owned 3 100 watt Hiwatt full stacks. Why I don't know. Anyway when we rehearsed he let me use one stack and he used one. The other was a spare I guess. That was unbelievably loud.
A close second was my old Mesa MKIIC+ 100 watt head. With USA tubes it put out a little over 120 watts before it clipped. Although I never got to try a Hiwatt and my Mesa at the same time, I have always thought they were about equal as far as sheer brute volume.

colimofsmoke

a 200 watt Hiwatt. oh man my body hurts just thinking about that.
but still, I think the V4's have it. at least on votes in this thread.

Last edited:

django49

Mesa Strategy 500. A stereo power amp pushing 200 watts per channel. Absolutely stupid to have owned that. But it was fun. I used a Mesa Quad Preamp at that time. Never really had a chance to fully take advantage of that full rack of tubes, such as by running thru 8 12s on each side. I think it was 4 6l6s and a pair of 6550s per side.

Brutal. Scared people when turned on (and when I thought of the cost of retubing it).

Trending Topics