• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

What things are you REALLY picky about on a guitar?

Phil3

Peronally. I am far more picky than I originaly thought when I began my search for a new guitar.
SO anyways!
-I don't like\won't buy basswood bodies. They ding easily and tend to feel far too light for their size.
-I'm not buying it if it doesn't have 24 frets.
-I want a humbucker in at least the bridge.
-NO GLOSSY NECKS! I hate glossy necks, little bits of skin and sweat always stay behind and it feels weird. My hand doesn't glide across them as easily as it would on an unfinished neck or a satin neck.
-Made in Japan.

In short... Ibanez guitars.

Tone chader

Peronally. I am far more picky than I originaly thought when I began my search for a new guitar.
SO anyways!
-I don't like\won't buy basswood bodies. They ding easily and tend to feel far too light for their size.
-I'm not buying it if it doesn't have 24 frets.
-I want a humbucker in at least the bridge.
-NO GLOSSY NECKS! I hate glossy necks, little bits of skin and sweat always stay behind and it feels weird. My hand doesn't glide across them as easily as it would on an unfinished neck or a satin neck.
-Made in Japan.

In short... Ibanez guitars.
Hahaha, good one. I guess that I have become more obsessed with the sound of tubes, strings, picks, and speakers. On my guitar sound. I am happy to go from an ash guitar to mahogany/ maple axe. But I want a certain string and pick for sure.

Voxshall

Just sound really, I think I can fix most other things. I want a cohesive sound with a bit of character and clear bass, and fat full treble.

Last edited:

cap10kirk

Neck profile. I have problems with my left wrist and hand, so the wrong neck profile can be entirely unplayable for me. Ibanez wizard necks, for example, are physically painful for me to play for more than just a few minutes.
Control layout. I don't like guitars with separate controls for each pickup (most Gibsons, for example), the volume pot in the way of my picking hand (Strat), or controls on the upper bout of the body (LP pickup selector switch, bass contour on a lot of Reverends, etc).
Aesthetics. If I don't like how it looks, I'm not going to want to pick it up and play it no matter how good the guitar may be.

jamester

Gold Supporting Member
Neck profile/thickness
Weight
Body contours (don't like them)
Volume pot taper

Phil3

Hahaha, good one. I guess that I have become more obsessed with the sound of tubes, strings, picks, and speakers. On my guitar sound. I am happy to go from an ash guitar to mahogany/ maple axe. But I want a certain string and pick for sure.
Fair enough, personally I like the Kirk Hammet Dunlop Jazz 3 picks. Because A. Purple and sparkly.
B. They just work for everything.
Just sound really, I think I can fix most other things. I want a\cohesive sound with a bit of character and clear bass, and fat full treble.
I never put much thought into what pups a guitar has stock. I always felt I can compensate some of the drawbacks of the pups by setting up the EQ right in the amp.
Neck shape
Agree. 100%
Action, neck carve, frets, bridge, sound, weight, appearance, build quality, brand name, price, but, other than that, I'm not that picky. :D
Same! Other than just a little tiny list of 40 or so things I really don't care whats on a guitar!

RRfireblade

In simple terms, fit and finish and weight. There's really not anything else on the guitar I can't fix or straighten out if I have to. But I'm not buying anything I have to get into paint work or something, plus high-level fit and finish is usually a good indicator of everything else.

Phil3

Neck profile. I have problems with my left wrist and hand, so the wrong neck profile can be entirely unplayable for me. Ibanez wizard necks, for example, are physically painful for me to play for more than just a few minutes.
Control layout. I don't like guitars with separate controls for each pickup (most Gibsons, for example), the volume pot in the way of my picking hand (Strat), or controls on the upper bout of the body (LP pickup selector switch, bass contour on a lot of Reverends, etc).
Aesthetics. If I don't like how it looks, I'm not going to want to pick it up and play it no matter how good the guitar may be.
Interesting. I agree with the volume knob position on strats, you always end up slapping it. I never really cared for the LP 4 knob layout. It was alright. Didnt hate it. But it didnt speak to me.

And again, I agree with your stance on a guitars looks. I don't think anyone would want to buy a guitar they think is ugly.

Phil3

In simple terms, fit and finish. There's really not anything else on the guitar I can't fix or straighten out if I have to. But I'm not buying anything I have to get into paint work or something, plus high-level fit and finish is usually a good indicator of everything else.
Thats true. Paint work is a huge pain and if you don't have the proper equipment it can be impossible.

Voxshall

I never put much thought into what pups a guitar has stock. I always felt I can compensate some of the drawbacks of the pups by setting up the EQ right in the amp.
I’m talking about the guitars acoustic tone, if a guitar has muddy woofy bass and thin hard treble no pickup is going to fix it.

I guess I would be concerned about weight but I only really try out the high end stuff and I never come across heavy guitars these days.

Neck profile was also a thing for me but then I realised I liked variety in neck shapes as it helped promote variety in play styles and song writing.

I also like vol and tone pots that work, as in sound great during the entire range, like many of the golden age vintage examples, I’m particularly fussy on this.

Blue Lizard

Wood & frets (another vote for body, neck, fretwork, fit’n’finish).

I’m happy swapping out pickups & hardware and doing a full shield & re-wire job if the essential foundation of the guitar is something I like (and have pretty much done so on everything bar my EBMM guitars).

Being fussy, I’m no longer a fan of 24-fret HSH guitars (and I’ve had a lovely 90s MIJ Ibanez in that arrangement in the past) as they feel rather cramped under the picking hand. I much prefer 22-frets and HH, HS, HSS or SSS arrangements.

Gclef

Not much really.

The guitar has to appeal to me visually, first and foremost.

But my quirks are:

I like black dots on maple, but need blocks and light binding on darker boards.

Nut shape. I like the slots 1/2 the depth of the string, or slightly more. They also need to be smooth to the touch.

I like thicker necks in general, but if I like the neck profile, it goes along way towards me liking the guitar, wring color or not.

Everything else is negotiable, and guitar dependent

Trending Topics