What three DRIVE pedals for a versatile rig?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mangoman, Feb 1, 2012.

1. mangoman

mangoman Gold Supporting Member

Looking to really pare it down. Been a long process. Looking to get to three drive boxes to implement into my rig.

Amps: savage macht24 and a Carr artemus
    Music genre: alt/indie, some punk, some rockabilliy. Classic rocks standards from the 60's and 70's. Plus some 50's. Hardest I would get is foo fighters and AC/DC

Was wanting to be able to stack and would love it if I got it to two pedals, but three is fine.

I was thinking for my primary light drive/rhythm tone would be a TS type pedal, or a ???

This wouldmbe stacked into a gainier drive set at light to mild, say a DRD, barber DD LD, or maybe even a wren and cuff tall font. Perhaps even a Lovepedal COT/amp50

These would all feed into a boost of some sorts. I was thinking Timmy Or klone.

Here's what I got in the house:
    Himmelstrutz Fetto nord (in the emporium)
    Wren and cuff tall font and tri pie 70
    Wren and cuff phat Phuk(I gotta send it in. Was acting funny last night)
    VFE The scream (TS type pedal)

I've tried:
    OCD and full drive. Like EM. Don't love EM. Maybe I never really opened EM up yet
    HBOD/SHOD never got the hype yet
    Various lovepedals
    Rat clones
    Red snapper, great OD but bright. I had an older version perhaps.
    Blue collar. Great OD, shouldn't have sold it.
    Various others I can't remember.

I do have a KOTB on order. Should be here n a year!

Thoughts????

2. soopajeanmi

soopajeanmi Member

2 pedals you need to try because they're *very* different from anything else on the market, yet they sound *classic*:

Timmy

ScrewDriver

3. jkokura

jkokura Member

I sorta like having 3 types at my disposal - fuzz, boost and drive.

Fuzz: I like the fuzz face type, but some like the Muff type. It looks like you have the Muff type.

Boost: I like the Klone type, but others like the SHO type. Looks like you're interested in the Klone type. Go for it.

Drive: Looks like there are soooo many options it's a bit unbelievable. You have and idea of what you like and don't like. I personally love tubescreamer types, dual op amp drives with 'mid enhancement' if you want to be specific, and the Timmy is a great alternative if you haven't tried one yet.

Jacob