What to buy...Finale or Sibelius???

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by mojazzmo, Feb 16, 2009.

1. mojazzmo

mojazzmo Member

I did a search and a few posts came up with lots of info on some specific details but no one really stated the pros and cons of each. I am looking for something fairly simple to write out simple chord charts and for writing out my transcriptions. I had a trial copy years and years ago of Finale but couldn't get it to work the way I wanted it to. I want to be able to make a template of 4 bars line etc...with the chords written above and maybe the odd rhythmic notation. Any thoughts on which to buy?? I appreciate the insight of people here on the page who actually use it as opposed the video infomercials on the mfg's sites. Thanks!!!

2. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

"Paging jzucker to the white courtesy phone..."

3. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

I'm a Finale user off and on for the last 17yrs. Mmm getting old.

It's good, it will do everything you need it to do, but IMO, it's clunky. It never has and seemingly never will have the smoothness and logic of say, an Adobe program.

Haven't used Sibelius at all, but I know the major publishing houses have switched over to that AFAIK.

4. steven.rogers

steven.rogers Member

I don't have much experience with Finale but I do like Sibelius. There's a bit of a learning curve with it (as I'm sure there is with Finale too) but it doesn't take long to get used to. And once you do, things start to move pretty quickly. Here's a transcription I did of Coltrane's solo in Moment's Notice over the course of about 2 weeks in class:

http://www.box.net/shared/tlke718ggg

5. mojazzmo

mojazzmo Member

Thanks, Steven. When you did the moments notice transcription. Did you control how many bars per line or was that dictated by the program. If you started a transcription with 4 bars per line in 8th notes for example and then had a few bars of solid 16ths would the program automatically change to less bars per line??

6. steven.rogers

steven.rogers Member

I just let Sibelius do what it wanted to in that regard, although I'm sure that I wouldn't have had much problem getting it to use only 4 bars per line.

EDIT: Yeah, I just looked it up. There is a way to set it to do only 4 bars per line.

7. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

I would imagine that's easy to change in Sibelius.... It is in Finale. It's not hard to have the spacing just the way you want it. That's one thing Finale does well.

Steve, it looks like you changed a lot of the defaults, particularly the line thickness on beams, stems, barlines......

8. aeolian

aeolian Member

What is there that can be used to make simple chord chart cheat sheets. It can be fairly clunky to put in notation since my reading is horrible and I rarely write something out unless I'm really afraid I'll forget how it goes. Mostly it's just quarter note slashes and the occasional time thing.

I do have to write out lots of simple chord charts. I've played with graphic programs, and even did one in Excel. I would love to find something that's effectively as fast as writing out by hand, but neater and so I can print out extras for other folks. And that doesn't cost as much as ProTools. ;)

9. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

Speed is not the reason to use these programs. The potential of getting great looking results and easy future modification are the reason I use them.

These programs are costly, so not for everyone.

10. dash_doc

dash_doc Member

Not sure if this is helpful, but there is a reletivly new version of Sebelius out called Sebelius First, not as full featured as Sebelius 5 but it's under $100. See if it will do what you need, there's a free, full function 30 day demo download avalible.

11. lhallam

lhallam Member

I've got Finale, it will do just about anything you want. There is a learning curve.

12. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I've been using Finale Allegro for about 9 years. I always run into little bugs that drive me crazy and the output never looks as good as I think it should. I don't really care for it, but haven't jumped over to Sibelius yet. When it comes time to upgrade, I suspect I will.

Bryan

13. steven.rogers

steven.rogers Member

Nope, I actually didn't change any of the defaults (not intentionally at least). I didn't pay much attention to that kind of detail because I was under a time constraint.

14. Mandoboy

Mandoboy Member

13 year Finale user here. I'm pretty sure at this point both programs have very similar functionality; you just access them differently. Both have a learning curve...Finale was the first computer program I learned (Mac OS) in 1996 and I survived...

15. Unburst

Unburst Member

I use Sibelius for all my transcribing work, it's quick and user friendly.

One thing that will confuse you is that Sibelius likes to reformat on the fly, as you input notes, so I tend to let it do what it wants while I'm inputting and then organize it the way I want to see it later (there is a layout plug-in that lets you set the number of bars per system and systems per page that makes it quick.)

You may find that Sibelius's cheaper guitar oriented version called G7 does what you need.

16. antiquodian

antiquodian Member

I've been using MuseScore. It's public domain (free from musescore.org) and seems similar to Sibelius First in terms of capabilities and user interface.

It does crash now and then....:messedup