• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

What to buy?

WordMan

Wax Rhapsodic
Platinum Supporting Member
Have you played a Waterloo?

LG-2s are really nice, but something about a 30’s 00 is that much better, tone-wise.

Route67

Purchasing from afar really limits your choices, for example exploring the stock at a higher end shop, you could run into a 0000-18 sinker mahogany which could be a life changer that is missed online. I know the Op is particular about string spacing and neck carve, so trying out in shop can’t be beat, as per higher end guitars each should be judged as per personal preference on an individual basis.

Jeff Scott

I prefer short scale but won't turn my nose up at the right long scale guitar. As a player I'm 60% fingerstyle and 40% slide and strumming. No need to amp. In fact if I buy a guitar with a pickup or anything like that in it, I'm removing it. Doesn't have to be a steel string or a flat-top per se., I'll listen to any and all suggestions.
See if you can find a Yamamoto Talus VS-12. Love mine!

veinbuster

African Blackwood or ebony with a redwood top has a pretty distinctive voice. The Taylor and Lowden I tried would be in the price range. I also played a much more expensive one. All very articulate with a beautiful ring.

Adding to Rosewood/spruce and mahogany/spruce, I would go Blackwood/redwood or an all mahogany.

WordMan

Wax Rhapsodic
Platinum Supporting Member
From what I have read, the Waterloos would be well worth a look, also Eastman. In less expensive, Recording King have a good choice in small bodies. There's also the Gibson L-00 and Nick Lucas. I tried an L-00 a few years ago and liked it. Or this, or a similar Martin deep body:

https://reverb.com/item/1243087-martin-00-18-deep-body-custom-shop-flamed-mahogany-2015-natural
Interesting. Hey @Frozen Rat - if you are primarily a fingerpicker, a deeper-bodied 12-fret mahogany 00 might be an interesting choice. The added depth ads a bit of richness and space to the mahogany, so you get a different, mahogany tone, but one that might appeal a bit more to your tonal preferences.

I much prefer normal-depth mahogany 00’s for the same reason: I don’t want more sparkle or richness - I wanna bang on the guitar and not have that added richness get clashy, just like it does when someone foolishly hands me a rosewood guitar.

If I don’t favor it, it might be up your alley!! ;) ;)

BigAl

In that case, personally, I would shop for a slope shoulder, traditional voiced dreadnaught…probably by either Collings, Santa Cruz, Huss & Dalton, or Martin.
Agree with @drjordan and my vote is for a Santa Cruz Vintage Southerner. I really love mine and great for both strumming and fingerstyle. All the best in your search!

Route67

Interesting. Hey @Frozen Rat - if you are primarily a fingerpicker, a deeper-bodied 12-fret mahogany 00 might be an interesting choice. The added depth ads a bit of richness and space to the mahogany, so you get a different, mahogany tone, but one that might appeal a bit more to your tonal preferences.

I much prefer normal-depth mahogany 00’s for the same reason: I don’t want more sparkle or richness - I wanna bang on the guitar and not have that added richness get clashy, just like it does when someone foolishly hands me a rosewood guitar.

If I don’t favor it, it might be up your alley!! ;) ;)
It’s what some of us call “punch” - provided the soundbox depth is no more than 4 1/16-1/8” - shared by the 00 and 000. Modern builders most often exceed that depth in otherwise similar-size bout guitars to provide deeper tone but the trade off is the loss of that “rockin’ roll” factor of “direct punch” produced by the older, original designs, the 14 fretters more so than the 12s.

Frozen Rat

Silver Supporting Member
Purchasing from afar really limits your choices, for example exploring the stock at a higher end shop, you could run into a 0000-18 sinker mahogany which could be a life changer that is missed online. I know the Op is particular about string spacing and neck carve, so trying out in shop can’t be beat, as per higher end guitars each should be judged as per personal preference on an individual basis.
Did some of that today. Ruled out Gibson guitars wholesale due to what I played today. Not because they were bad, I loved the tone of the L-00 I played, it was the string spacing. It was just a hair too tight at the nut and saddle, felt even tighter than I remembered. I have thick fingers and there's only so much room for them. I might just have to consider something with a 1 13/16th nut; I have avoided those in the past because I can't thumb wrap them so easily.

s2y

I just went to a handmade acoustic guitar showcase. Builders like the Kinnards, Urlacher, Edwinson, Two Hands, Hatcher, and many more were there. Through a trade, I'm getting an Aboudib. I was a kid in a candy store.

Route67

Did some of that today. Ruled out Gibson guitars wholesale due to what I played today. Not because they were bad, I loved the tone of the L-00 I played, it was the string spacing. It was just a hair too tight at the nut and saddle, felt even tighter than I remembered. I have thick fingers and there's only so much room for them. I might just have to consider something with a 1 13/16th nut; I have avoided those in the past because I can't thumb wrap them so easily.
Have you tried a Martin CEO-7 ? It’s especially generous at the saddle for string spacing.

Frozen Rat

Silver Supporting Member
Have you tried a Martin CEO-7 ? It’s especially generous at the saddle for string spacing.
That is one of the ones on the short list. It's probably the one I should get if anything. I've been looking at resonators too, like the National Estralita, I like that one too.

Route67

That is one of the ones on the short list. It's probably the one I should get if anything. I've been looking at resonators too, like the National Estralita, I like that one too.
The CEO-7 is a great guitar, but I wouldn’t necessarily want to bargain hunt for one. For those who are familiar with stock in shop, even premium models can suffer from idiosyncrasies, even if it is as subjective as tone, or objective like a sliver of saddle left. In my opinion, a discount price on a new or new old stock CEO-7 is a red flag that it won’t be an exceptional example for some/unknown reason.

Frozen Rat

Silver Supporting Member
The CEO-7 is a great guitar, but I wouldn’t necessarily want to bargain hunt for one. For those who are familiar with stock in shop, even premium models can suffer from idiosyncrasies, even if it is as subjective as tone, or objective like a sliver of saddle left. In my opinion, a discount price on a new or new old stock CEO-7 is a red flag that it won’t be an exceptional example for some/unknown reason.
I agree, I always look at Martin saddles before considering buying. $800 neck resets really jack up the cost of ownership. I'm still leaning more toward a resonator, or even a bit more remotely, an electric that I can play slide on. Or just being happy with what I already have.

freshmattyp

Gold Supporting Member
I think a Lowden F size would be a good addition, and I'll preach the church of Collings all day long. When I was looking for a special guitar, I ended up with the Collings D2H in my avatar. Perhaps an SJ?

Barnzy

Hard to beat two Goodalls! …

But if you sent me out to spend that money for you, I would bring you back a Collings D series!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom