What to do with guitars you no longer play

bluesky636

I own six guitars. In order of price paid they are:

1. Fender AVRI 1952 Telecaster (previous version)
2. Epiphone 50th Anniversary Les Paul 1960 Standard Version 1
3. Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster
4. Epiphone Les Paul Jr
5. Squier "Esquire"
6. Ibanez GIO.

I really no longer play #'s 4, 5, and 6 and have considered letting them go. If I am not going to play them, I feel that someone else should. All are in like new condition (I'm a home player), and have been modified with price appropriate upgrades (pickups, pots, switches, etc., but no $500 pickups in a $100 guitar). All sound different from each other and (to me at least) better than stock. They each come in a soft sided case.

I know I am not going to get a lot of money for them as they were inexpensive to begin with, usually bought on sale, and the Ibanez was won in a contest (that I forgot I entered). It seems that I have two options:

1. Sell them outright (probably to Guitar Center as I have no interest in selling on E-Bay or Craig's List) for whatever I can get for them, or

2. donating them to Goodwill/Salvation Army, letting them sell them and taking a (reasonable) tax deduction.

What do you all think would be the best course of action?

Steve Hotra

Gold Supporting Member
I would sell / donate the ones you don't play.
Check out your local music schools / teachers that would give them to students who can't afford a decent guitar.

As far as your keepers, pass them on to your kids / family members. Even if they don't play guitar, they will have great stories to tell about your musical journey.
If you haven't already, video yourself playing your keepers. Load them on the web... best way to preserve your musical legacy.

slugworth

If you do donate, don't donate to Goodwill. They are a profit-driven business under guise of charity. Salvation Army is an actual charity.

shawnshack

If you need a place of donation, I'm part of a church that is working with several teenagers who are new to/learning to play. We can give you a tax donation letter for the value and cover shipping charges. I hope that doesn't come across as tacky. We'd give them to the kids we are working with.

telemike

Donate guitars to Guitars 4 Vets. It's a national program and most likely there is a chapter near you. They use the theraputic healing power of music to help vets by working with physical and psychological therapists.

monty

Donate guitars to Guitars 4 Vets. It's a national program and most likely there is a chapter near you. They use the theraputic healing power of music to help vets by working with physical and psychological therapists.
This, plus you will feel good about it.

bob-i

This got me thinking of donating a few of my unplayed guitars. I have a plywood acoustic that my kids played when I was trying (unsuccessfully) to get them interested in playing, a Floyd speedloader, a Yamaha classical, none of them get played.

bluesky636

I would sell / donate the ones you don't play.
Check out your local music schools / teachers that would give them to students who can't afford a decent guitar.

As far as your keepers, pass them on to your kids / family members. Even if they don't play guitar, they will have great stories to tell about your musical journey.
If you haven't already, video yourself playing your keepers. Load them on the web... best way to preserve your musical legacy.
Good idea. I found a program called "Instruments in the Attic" sponsored by a local university. Going to contact them this week.

No children. My dogs don't play very well either. I did promise my friend and guitar instructor I would leave my good guitars and amps to him in my will. :)

Last edited:

bluesky636

I may be interested in the les Paul junior....
I doubt it. It is the current version with bolt on neck, not the set neck reissue of several years ago. It does have a SD humbucker size P90 in it that sounds really good, though. In any case, I live in Virginia and not willing to ship.

bluesky636

If you need a place of donation, I'm part of a church that is working with several teenagers who are new to/learning to play. We can give you a tax donation letter for the value and cover shipping charges. I hope that doesn't come across as tacky. We'd give them to the kids we are working with.
You live in Missouri, I live in Virginia. Not worth shipping. Sorry.

Trending Topics