What to do with my DSL100?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Wmacky, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Wmacky

Wmacky Member

Finally got to do a test run with the JCM800 reissue I just picked up off Craigslist. I'm pretty happy with what I heard, and think it's going to work out just fine!

Now what to do with my DSL100? It's an original Made in England 2000 model. I had sadly traded my 1987 plexi reissue for it years back. What a poor decision that was, as I wish I had that back!. At he time I was weary of the extreme non master volume, and the DSL seemed the right choice. The were both priced similarly when new, but the 1987 has risen in value, and the DSL has dropped. Bummer. So I'm now already at a big loss on it. I'd rather not ship with all the shipping damage issues Ive been reading about, so that leaves craiglist, and they don't seem to sell very fast on there.

Options? Let me state that I'm just a home player / hobbyist, and I don't gig. So, the 800 will be may main rock amp, along with the 2 4X12's I have. I also have a Twin Reverb for clean stuff. It's heavy but it stays put in the music room.

I could just keep it for more scooped metal type stuff, but I'm more into classic metal. If I did want to do that stuff a little perhaps a trade for a older Peavey 5150, or a 6505 would be cool for the scooped mids stuff, as 2 Marshall heads seem very redundant?

I could trade it for a combo for when I did want to do something away from home. (Rare) Perhaps a trade for a 1 x12 Mesa of some sort?

I could see what it goes for on Craigslist. I'm guess $500 at most? Or, I could just keep] it, but again seems way redundant to me.

Thoughts?

2. CreamTele2

CreamTele2 Member

Try selling on reverb or fleabay as pick up only

3. Custom50

Custom50 Member

Ah just keep it man. For 5-600 bucks it's worth keeping IMO. You can save that much to put towards a new amp pretty easy and you don't want to find yourself missing it like you miss your 1987.

4. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

I'd keep it. I run mine through a 79 Marshall Cab with G12 65s and it does the 80s metal thing just perfect. For more crunchy tones, I have a 74 JMP 50, but for hot rodded Marshall I've got about $900 bucks into the entire half stack and it rocks, Maiden, Accept, Priest etc.. It's all there. No redundancy.
    [​IMG]

5. Wmacky

Wmacky Member

That's a nice setup.

Yeah, If I had the 4 holer like you I would keep the DSL, but I now have a 800 that covers those metal bands perfectly. The DSL just seems to cover the same ground and I think it's going to be redundant?

Too much of the same thing!

[​IMG]

6. duderanimous

duderanimous Monsterpiece Fuzz - Fuzz Master Extraordinaire Silver Supporting Member

unless you are hurting for money, or gas-ing for something in particular, I'd just keep it.

7. Wmacky

Wmacky Member

No gas for big ticket stuff though I had been gassing for 4 holers. I miss my old 50W 1987!

As a matter of fact the plan was to keep the DSL, and add a 50W 4 hole Marshall (Reissue like I had, or a Rockitt Retro). Then the 2203X came available.( A amp I always wanted). Now that I have the 2203X I feel that it would make the 4 holer somewhat redundant along with the DSL. It's not exactly the same, but I bet it will do ACDC, ad Zep just fine, And that's the kinda stuff I'd use the 4 holer for.

So my thinking is that the JCM 800 will pretty much cover it all from AC DC to Maiden. So now I'm not really gassing for the 1987 like I was before. They do look pretty sweet though. I'm a big fan of the original styling. Not a good reason to buy a second amp though.

Now if someone wants to trade me a 4 holer for my DSL - well.......................... I'd just have to find a way to live with that redundancy :)

8. rastaman

rastaman Member

I'd sell it and get another 800.

9. Custom50

Custom50 Member

Ok, so a bunch of us have said just keep it and you still keep saying that you think it's redundant and how you want a 4 hole marshall. You've made the decision. Sell it. Just don't regret it man!

If I was in your neighborhood I'd buy it!

10. Wmacky

Wmacky Member

No decision made yet. Still thinking about possible trades too.

To clarify about the 4 hole, I had said i did want one previously, but thought it no longer needed since buying the 800. Now if one fell into my lap,then yes, I'd rather have that than the DSL.

11. Wmacky

Wmacky Member

:rockin;)