What to do with my Fender PA100 top?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by stekks, Dec 21, 2005.

1. stekks

stekks Member

A few years ago I've got a Fender PA100 top from a friend, 4 lo-z inputs, 4x6L6 with reverb. So basicly a Twin/Dual Showman with 4 mic inputs.

From the start I've been thinking of rebuilding it into a Twin/Showman, and use it with a 1x15" or 2x12" cab (which I don't have at the moment).

The thing that holds me back is that I don't really need 100W of clean power (although it would have a cool big low-E thump, when bi-amping it with a crunchier amp).

Maybe making it a Twin is too obvious? ;) Maybe make it a 4x6V6 amp?

Anyway, I'm asking if somebody has a creative idea of what to do with this amp to keep me busy during this winter ;)

Suggestions? Thanks! :BEER

2. hasserl

hasserl Member

I say go the 4 x 6V6 route. Double the speaker impedance to deal with the mismatch. It's still going to be pretty damn loud, but not as loud as 4 x 6L6; and the 6V6 will breakup earlier with less voltage swing from the pi, if that is important to you.

You'll likely need to convert the inputs to standard Fender style hi-z imputs (just take a look at most any Fender schematic and copy). There may be some interesting things you can do rearranging the four input stages for various different pre-amp circuits. Got a schematic?

3. stekks

stekks Member

Thanks Hasserl! Yes, I have the schematics. I've built 2 Marshall style amps, and tinkered with some other amps before.

A sort of double BF DeLuxe should be cool. Maybe I'll go with a blackface and tweed preamp? Maybe add a dwell/tone control to the reverb? Hints and tips are welcome :)

Too bad the amp's exterior is hidious! Although I could make it a nice 'sleeper' :rolleyes:

4. bob-i

bob-i Member

These are awesome chassis, lots of room and great iron. I recently took one for a friend and modded it to be a guitar amp with overdrive.

Basically I left channel 1 alone, modded channels 2-3 and 4 to be one overdrive channel. It sounds awesome and only cost about $250 with parts and labor. If you're an amp modding kind of guy PM me and I'll send you the details of what I did.

Here's a clip, GC Style, cranked and noodling

http://www.patmedia.net/bob-ingram/Fender100WattPA/Completed.mp3

5. hasserl

hasserl Member

I LOVE sleeper amps!!!

Anyway, can you post a link to the schematic, or email a copy to me? I'd love to take a peek.

6. bob-i

bob-i Member

http://www.schematicheaven.com

7. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Leave it alone, and get some nice high-efficiency PA cabs to go with it.

You'll have a really beautiful-sounding small venue or practice-room PA that will sound far better than the modern tinny solid-state-with-digital-effects boxes. Of course it won't have the low-frequency response of SS, but you shouldn't be putting bass or drums through the PA in those sort of situations anyway. Try it on vocals and/or acoustic guitar and you may be surprised :).

Sorry, I just stopped by out of curiosity, but I had to say this. That's a really nice amp that is perfect for what it was designed to do. Don't hack it to make a second-rate guitar amp.

8. stekks

stekks Member

Thanks for the suggestions so far! But, come on, you can do better then that! :D

Good to see you back here John! Don't know if I'll leave her alone, we've got an old-sk00l PA already ;)

9. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

Just come across this old thread as I recently picked up a PA 100 that was mint along with the columns and the accessory horns. I agree with John you do not need to mod it and I suspect it makes a good PA for singing but I bought mine for a guitar head and it works perfect for guitar with out no mods. If you want more EQ use a EQ pedal of some sort to brighten it up a bit to get it to sound more like a Twin. When I saw this advertised I knew what it was and jumped on it. I am very happy with it. The horn cabs and columns went into storage for now and I am running a 2x12 cab with Eminence Speakers with this.

10. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

These old threads always fool me, every time, into thinking John Phillips has returned. I wonder if he knows the positive impact he has had on a large number of individuals. Guys like me that know his name, yet he has no idea who I am. I wish the best for that man.

11. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

You lost me I have not been here for a while what do you mean?

12. Swarty

Swarty Member

Holy time warp Batman! When you get an antique like that complete with the columns, savor it and just play it as is. If it were a lone beater head, like the one I own, I'd say turn into anything you want... Bumble, Mashall, 'reck, twead, booteek... whaterver... but because you have the complete "set up", I say enjoy it as is for guitar, vocs, bass, keys..., whatever. Nice score!

13. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

I will not get rid of the cabs or the accessory horn cabs even though I will not probably use them much. Kinda interesting getting the accessory horn cabs with it. The head I will be using as a guitar head and right now I have it with a cab that has 2 Eminence Speakers that came out of a Twin Reverb that I bought from a guy who switched his amp to a 15.

Here is a pic of the amp and the cab the cab started out as a Peavey Duel amp that I bought for parts with no speakers as it had a bad board some one took out the chassis and put it back and did not put the screws in order as the front were shorter than the back they wrecked the board beyond fixing along with shorting out some other parts. So utilized the cab for my 2x12 amp cab. I left the metal frame over the speakers and I just made a wood frame and covered it with the same sort of black grill cloth that was origional to the head. This amp takes pedals well and I see no reason to mod it as a good eq pedal or a modeling pedal like my Digitech RP which has an EQ on it plus the black face mod. Frame could have used a little more black on it but its ok I guess.

[​IMG]

14. Swarty

Swarty Member

Hmm, my head also has black grill and I thought it was replaced... maybe it's legit ???

15. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

I looked it up and from what I can tell some Fenders in them years came with Black Grills. I suppose in this case since the Speakers were black and white they used black grill cloth to match the speakers. Just a guess on my part but I did read that other amps had black grill cloths in that period.

16. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

Swarty is yours modded or origional? If Origional does your channel three act different on the volume? I explained it in my other post.

17. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

18. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

Just found out from an other forum that the black grills were standard on these then later they switched to foam grills. (Save money? who knows? ) anyway the foam grills did not last well which is why you find some that does not have anything on them.

19. Jerry

Jerry Supporting Member

You could buy an AB763 board from Weber that would drop right in where the pa board went. I did that to one for a friend. I also thought that it would be cool to fill in some of the unused holes with knobs for some effects like a compressor or overdrive. Here's alink for the board. You'd want the board for the 6A80.

https://taweber.powweb.com/store/chassis/chord2.html

20. the russ

the russ Member

use it as a bass amp. that's what i use my 135 for