What to do with old Hammond organ?

Discussion in 'Keyboards' started by doc, Apr 13, 2019.

1. doc

doc Member

I saved an old '50s Hammond M3 from the Salvation Army a few years ago. I can't really play it (I'm a fairly rudimentary keys player), but think its cool. I really need to let it go to reclaim the space. It seems no one really messes with these anymore (all the Hammond players want a B3 or such). Its got a nice tube amp and field coil Rola speaker in it. Not sure which way to go with it. Hate to just give it away, hate to hack it up to harvest the amp, but the amp would make a fine guitar amp.

2. one4five

one4five Member

That sounds cool as hell, I'd hate to see it wrecked! And I don't even play keys, but it's a shame that people can't appreciate things like that. You tried craigs and reverb, I assume?

Maybe think about donating it to some worthy place where it might see some use, a local school or community center, or one of those halfway house type of things with downs syndrome people, etc.?

3. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

maybe call richard goodsell.

4. S. F. Sorrow

S. F. Sorrow Member

Don't hack it!
    I saw TWO different FREE Hammond L series on craigslist a couple weeks ago. Was dying to get one but have to move soon. Just seemed wrong to hack it unless converting the tonewheel keyboard into a 'portable'.
    Felt no regrets when gutting a Baldwin Orgasonic though. With 58 tubes you'd thing it would sound decent. Had the tone of a cheap Casiotone run though a big iron 6L6 amp.

5. Jr Deluxe

Jr Deluxe Member

Find a hammond repair guy and give it to him. In perfect shape the m3 might be worth a couple hundred but no one really is buying those these days and if you hold out for the cash youll have that thing sitting there for another 10 years. They can be cool with some mods and a leslie but if you arent a tech youll have more $ tied up than its worth. Sad but time has been passing the m3 by.

6. silver surfer

silver surfer Member

M3's are pretty cool. You can get great Hammond tones and run it into a Leslie as well. They don't sell for much, but you might be able to get $50 to $150 for it. At least try that. They are too beautiful to hack up.

7. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

I have heard the reverb will fit a Fender amp and some think that would be an upgrade. Never tried one but curious.

8. TwoHandsTenThumbs

TwoHandsTenThumbs Silver Supporting Member

Sadly, your options are limited. If it was landfill bound, I’d harvest and gut. I’ve owned a few smaller Hammonds. A friend chopped an M3, but it wasn’t much lighter, or had less of a footprint. It was just easier to wrangle.