What to get to replace my Vox AC30?

Pseudohobbit

Silver Supporting Member
I might move my Vox, but I don't know what to get. Love the sound of the Vox, but it's so heavy. I play mainly blues, classic rock, and fusion. I have a HRDIII as well. If I don't move both, maybe a Fender Deluxe Reverb RI? I'd like to get something that is an even trade for the Vox and smaller. Suggestions?

Lullabies

Are you against Mesa?

the Express 5:50 or EL84 5:25 are amazing amps, I prefer the 5:50 but I play pretty heavy fuzzy stuff so I like the headroom. They are super light and sound BIG for their size and the contour knobs or the graphic EQ on the new Plus Expresses help you dial in any tone you need!

kiki_90291

If you love the sound of the Vox, the Fender DRRI is not going to replace (I love the DRRI - just a different tone/feel). I'd look for a head/cab combo to reduce weight - I use a Mesa TA-15 and am very happy with the Vox side. It compares very favorably to my bandmates AC-15 (which may not be the same as an AC-30, but might be in the same territory?) There's also the TA-30, which I have not played, but may get close. The TA-15 is super light and I use it with a 2x10 open back cab (heavy) or a 1x12 Mini Rec cab (closed back, lighter, easier to move around).

Chicago Slim

I just ordered a Vox Tony Bruno TB18C1. I uses 6V6's, and weighs around 39 lbs. The larger TB35C2, is as heavy as and AC30.

dbun

Hayseed 30 1x12 if you want a combo. It is still heavy, but not as heavy as an AC30 2x12

Or Hayseed 30 Head with a matching cab. I'm going this route now as splitting up my rig into a head + cab is really the only way to get the sound I want with lighter loads.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
I've got the AC30HH and it's NOT light. If it's the chime you want, you might consider trying to find an Alessandro. Somehow, he gets that chime and thump out of big power tubes in relatively light boxes. Add an Avatar lightweight cab and you're good to go!

Pseudohobbit

Silver Supporting Member
The AC15 IMO is a terrible amp. I ABed the 30 and 15 a few times before getting the 30. The 15 sounds thin and sterile. The 30 is thick and growly. While they should be the same amp, they aren't by a mile.

Psyfuzz

The AC15 IMO is a terrible amp. I ABed the 30 and 15 a few times before getting the 30. The 15 sounds thin and sterile. The 30 is thick and growly. While they should be the same amp, they aren't by a mile.
But they're not suppose to be the same amp...

The AC15 and AC30 are completely different beasts and always have been, it was a mistake on your part to expect the AC15 to be just a lower wattage AC30.

The AC15 is sharper and spikier but that's it's own unique character that's very useful in the studio for those tones, to the degree that I think a studio should own both an AC30 and AC15 - purely based on the different ground these amps cover tonally.

I consider this to be the 'classic' AC15 spiky breakup (with a decent amount of tele thrown in), not the greatest song but decent enough example:

Coldacre

that made laugh