• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

What to get while waiting for Helix?

TimH

Silver Supporting Member
So I'm currently amp/fx-less. I play at church and at home mostly to practice for weekends. I'd like to buy something that will be useful to me in the future and $500 would be my upper limit. I'd rather keep it under $300.

I've been thinking of grabbing a POD 2.0 or XT. I can get those for about $100CND. I'd really only need them to have one mid gain and one higher gain sound.

But what do you think would be the best option?

shawnshack

Pick up a used HD500. More flexible and better tone than the earlier Pod models. There are some in the emporium and eBay. I have an HD500 and have no plans of selling it once my Helix comes in. It will be a wonderful back-up rig. Also, if I feel nervous about bringing the Helix out due to the nature of the gig, I know the HD500 will do just fine.

Reactions: Rod

otter5555

If you aren't already familiar with the HD500, I'd pass on that. It will probably take too much time to get it dialed in.

I'd go Zoom G series or MS-100bt if it has enough ins/outs for you. Or, even the G1xon looks like a no brainer at $70. Plus these would make a nice backup to the helix that you could just keep in the gig bag for when you are in a pinch.

i second the above. the hd 500 has a STEEP learning curve. i've owned the hd 300, 2 hd 500's and currently have a 500x. i have spent YEARS tweaking to make the hd 500 sound decent and still cannot stand it except into a tube power amp and speaker cab. but that's just me. others love their hd's in other configurations.

i personally much prefer the pod 2.0 tones. it takes about 90 seconds to get a great tone on a pod 2.0. my tones are simple.....clean-crunch-saturated lead. my fx are even simpler....delay.

if you like complex fx, the hd 500 is the way to go. it will do it all. getting the amps to sound nice is the trick.

i own all the zooms and they all have some decent tones and basically no learning curve. i still prefer the pod 2.0 to the zooms but thats just me. the zooms sound nice for almost no money.

there are a TON of cheap choices out there, it comes down to your ear and how much time you want to spend tweaking.

neoprimitive

Used RP500 or 1000. underrated and can be picked up for next to nothing. easy to use and sound great out of the box. my RP500 delivers everything I want and a lot more. worth checking into for a good affordable box.

Pat6969

Silver Supporting Member
So I'm currently amp/fx-less. I play at church and at home mostly to practice for weekends. I'd like to buy something that will be useful to me in the future and $500 would be my upper limit. I'd rather keep it under $300.

I've been thinking of grabbing a POD 2.0 or XT. I can get those for about $100CND. I'd really only need them to have one mid gain and one higher gain sound.

But what do you think would be the best option?
I'd like to go to your church, especially since you use mid and high gain tones!

jdalf

I'll toss out something different to consider, for 400 dollars, a Boss GP-10K. It has very good amps and effects, the tunings and modeled guitars sound great to me. Strat to jazz guitars, acoustics sound really nice, 12 string acoustic and electric models. Some synths also. The editor works well.

I have a Mac mini with Garageband, just found out last night the Gk divided pickup will play all the virtual instruments directly, it's so crazy good. Choirs, sax, flute, bells, strings, pianos, rock organs, arpeggiators, on and on and on....

Get one of these and hug your family goodbye for awhile, lol

erniecaster

Hi,

if the Helix should be your gear number one, you only need a backup.

I love my Tech21 FlyRig (as everybody knows here...). Some people achieve good results with a Zoom G3 and if you want to save some bucks look for an old Yamaha DG-Stomp. All these units are small, light and cheap and great backups. The Mustang Floor or the Vox Tonelab are bigger but also not expensive. Maybe an old Line6 Floorpod Plus?

cu

erniecaster

Tmidiman

Do not get an HD500, as you will, IMHO, spend more time trying to set the amps working than playing. Try a Pod XT or X3, try the Digitech, try a Zoom G5.

I own all of them and I wouldn't want you wasting your time try to get a good sound when there are so many devices that will deliver right out of the gate. Don't let the buttons and lights fool you. Use your ears.

MONSTER ZERO

Have I ever mentioned that I've owned just about all of the aforementioned gear and wound up with a Fender Mustang?

Great piece of kit, took me 5 minutes to find usable tones and under 2 hours to dial it in. The most organic sounding modeler I've ever owned. Couple that with I was abvle to finally find the tone in my head and I'm probably not going to ever need anything else.

clintmartin

HD500X seems like a no-brainer if your waiting on the Helix. It's a very powerful piece, but there are a few tricks one must learn to get the most out of it. It's not plug and play.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
Pick up a used HD500. More flexible and better tone than the earlier Pod models. There are some in the emporium and eBay. I have an HD500 and have no plans of selling it once my Helix comes in. It will be a wonderful back-up rig. Also, if I feel nervous about bringing the Helix out due to the nature of the gig, I know the HD500 will do just fine.
This.. There are used ones in the emporium for $250 ......!

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
Zoom G3X. Gets 50% of my gigs and it has paid for itself 50x over (literally, 50 or so gigs on the G3X averaged $150 per gig).
I use 1 100th or less of what it offers!

thirsty one

Silver Supporting Member
Have I ever mentioned that I've owned just about all of the aforementioned gear and wound up with a Fender Mustang?

Great piece of kit, took me 5 minutes to find usable tones and under 2 hours to dial it in. The most organic sounding modeler I've ever owned. Couple that with I was abvle to finally find the tone in my head and I'm probably not going to ever need anything else.
Get a Mustang III or Floor or a Blackstar ID 30, either of these three will hold you over. I have had the Mustang III, I gave it to my big brother, got an ID 30 and love it. It is my backup to my AxeFxII.

Trending Topics