What to go with my 1x12 cab for home use?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by geetarboy, Feb 19, 2012.

1. geetarboy

geetarboy Member

I've got a 1x12 Lopo cab with a C-Rex and and am looking to pick up a modeller for home use. My budget is $500 or less. I'm more worried about realistic amp sounds than effects. It could be a head or floor unit. My main tones are modern heavy (Dream Theater, Opeth) and classic rock, but a decent clean would be nice.

Any suggestions? I'm not clear on what units can plug right into my cab and which would need a power amp.

2. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

I think any modeling unit is going to need a power amp. I don't know of any that can power a speaker right out of the FX unit.

See if you can find a Crate Power Block to power it. As far as modelers go, Line 6 is always a safe bet but I recently have become a fan of th Digitech RP1000.

Scott

3. richpjr

richpjr Member

Well, if you are more concerned with amps than effects, what about something like an Egnator Tweaker head that can give you some really nice amp sounds (but obviously isn't an effects processor).

4. geetarboy

geetarboy Member

Yeah, I've heard good things about that amp. I haven't actually tried a modeller since the first Line 6 amps came out. I just figured that it might be time to give them another shot and that the flexibility for jamming around the house would be nice.

5. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have been where you are. $500 easy, Zoom G3, EH 22 caliber amp and cables, Sounds great. you will have stacks of $$$change.

Thank me later

6. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

If you are OK with used gear, get most any Peavey Transtube amp head or combo with an effects loop or power amp input. Those work as if they are made for modelers, and are usually dirt cheap and easy to find. They come out as clear winners when compared to Marshall Valvestate power amps, and certain Marshall tube amps used as modeler power amps.