What to look for in a Deluxe Memory Man?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dB, Feb 17, 2012.

1. dB

dB Member

Thinking about finding a used one, but not sure about all the different eras of the DMM. What's "the" one to look for? What's a close second or third, since "the" one will likely be too expensive or difficult to find.

From what I gather, big box is key....and the new XO ones aren't so stellar. Not interested in Tap Tempo or the Memory Boy. Just a classic, definitive example of an EH DMM.

2. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

I have a 90's big box DMM that I can't imagine selling. The early ones through the mid 90's are just about identical AFAIK. Supposed the XO ones are great too, but the one I tried a couple of years ago didn't do much for me. I think the main disadvantage with the newer ones is that they're hard to work on due to the smaller surface mounted pieces.

3. Yr Blues

Yr Blues Member

4. dB

dB Member

Are those chips in any big box version? I assume the XO version doesn't have them?

5. dB

dB Member

Also, what's the color differences? Are the blue one's orig, and the black the 90's ri?

6. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

Blue ones have no chorus available. If you don't want modulation, then you can get a vintage box reasonably cheap.

7. stratplayer80

stratplayer80 Senior Member

Some of the later reissue big boxes have 4 mn3008's as opposed to 2 mn3005's. I've never tried them side by side but I do know they are harder to calibrate. I'm pretty sure the xo's have the 4 mn3008's

8. dB

dB Member

Are the wall wart versions preferable to the hard wired versions?

What are the going rates...I see them anywhere from 250-450. Usually one's listed as 80's versions seem to fetch a little more.

9. stratplayer80

stratplayer80 Senior Member

The wall warts usually have less noise. However some people like the AC versions better. Personally I like the wall wart. It's more handy for my situation.

10. dB

dB Member

11. Clean Channel

Clean Channel Member

12. stratpaulguy86

stratpaulguy86 Member

Things to look for in a Deluxe Memory Man?

1) Does it power on
    2) Does it produce echo
    3) Do I have enough money

If you answer those 3 things with a yes, then you are good to go. The best analog delay unit I've ever used!

13. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Member

I own the XO version and I love it... But I know people will say that you need one of the older ones anyway... :dunno

14. Dinosaur Sr.

Dinosaur Sr. Member

I have an XO too. Don't have an older one to compare to, but it's very good.

15. XISTH

XISTH Member

I have an Analog Man modded XO. It's splendiferous.

16. SonicVI

SonicVI Member

I think the original 80's 5-knob version with 2-prong built in power supply sounds the best. I've owned a few of them and tried reissues and they're always a bit warmer and have smoother more even modulation. They are usually a bit noisier though. YMMV.

17. Octafuzz40

Octafuzz40 Member

Mike Piera (from Analog Man) seems to think pretty highly of the XO's, and he's well-respected when it comes to tone. I picked one up used for a great price and then sent it in for modification. I'm not gonna say that the XO is better than the big box DMM's (cos, quite frankly, I haven't tried them) but I will say this, my El Capistan is sitting on the shelf pretty much since I got the XO. It'll come back to the board sometime but not at the moment. As far as the DMM modifications, apparently not just the XO's but the big box DMM's have problems with gain overload, which is why I sent mine in. I seem to recall reading that EH may no longer be using the same chips in newer XO's, so that could be something to consider, depending on the age of the XO. Haven't seen that verified though.

18. razorblade_beat

razorblade_beat Member

The later big box DMM's have true bypass built into them, meaning the pre amp section which people like the character of can only be turned on when the pedal is engaged, where as older ones gave a certain flavour to your overall tone if you wanted as the pre was always on.....that's why some plp only want the old old ones...my true bypass big box is epic though...

19. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

I love my XO and will grab another one just to have a spare.

And yes I saw Analogman's write up that the XO is as good as the big box units.

That's enough to convince me that I dont need to spend more on a vintage model

20. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

So you're saying that the preamp has a "character"? Please turn on your true bypass big box DMM at unity gain with blend at zero and tell me if it changes the tone of your signal in any way. I suggest you do a blind test, and also ask the opinion of a few friends.