What to pair with a Super Reverb?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Telepatio, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Telepatio

Telepatio Member

I would like to get a second amp, something to run stereo or switch with a Super Reverb. What would you get?

Another Super?

LTD Bassman?

JTM45/JMP50?

AC30?

All thoughts are appreciated.

2. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

What kind of music?

3. Telepatio

Telepatio Member

Eclectic. Funk, pop, reggae, psychadelic rock.

4. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

Probably switch it with something with a British voice, JTM/JMP amp would be a nice contrast. a A/B/Both switch would give you lots of flavors. I run that type rig with a 74 Super and a Germino Lead 55 and with a handfull of pedals iI can cover lots of styles.

5. Telepatio

Telepatio Member

Any feelings either way about JMP 50's vs. 100's? Seems like 100's sell cheaper. Is it just that they too powerful or is there a significant difference in sound between the two?

6. Billy Penn

Billy Penn Member

How about a Fender Vibro-King?

7. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Are you playing out? How large a venue? How loud?

I used to run a 50 watt Marshall 1987x with a 1960a 4x12 full of greenbacks in tandem with a '66 Super Reverb, but we were playing large hotel ballrooms and outdoor/festival stages. Very cool sounding nevertheless.

I've more recently seen some old late 70's, Bruford-era Holdsworth where he had some kind of Marshall half stack on stage with a blackface Super Reverb. Not where I got the idea, but it sure sounded awesome.

8. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Very cool amp on its own, but I wouldn't pair it with a Super Reverb - too much overlap in tone.

Have also run Super Reverbs together with old Blackface Twin Reverbs and newer Blues Deville 2x12's (with Celestions). The 4x10's really blend well with 12's.

9. fuzzbird

fuzzbird Member

I run a Reeves C30 (w/Reeves 2X12 cab - w/vintage purples) with a SuperReverb...
    C30 runs KT66's..its kinda like JTM45 meets Hiwatt..sort of.
    these 2 together are really great though.
    the C30 is more midrange sparkle and has a lower headroom- being 30 watts..then the SR provides a bit more low end to my overall sound..plus has way more headroom...so when I kick on boosters or gain pedals I get more volume out of that amp...works to my advantage. good stuff.

10. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

I would pair Derek Trucks with it (hee hee...)

Guitar Dave T's suggestion of something Marshall-y is good, also maybe a higher gain EL84 type amp would sit well. 3 Monkeys Grease Monkey comes to mind.

11. stratpaulguy86

stratpaulguy86 Member

Something more British and midrangy like a Vox AC-30 or Marshall Bluesbreaker. Both amps are rated at similar wattages to a Super Reverb and will likely break up at similar rates. The Fender will have more headroom and add some clear "sparkle" to the more overdriven British tone. I'm a big Joe Bonamassa fan and like his approach to tone. The whole EL34/6L6 "mid-scooped-paired-with-mid-heavy" thing works well for me!

12. Telepatio

Telepatio Member

Thanks for the suggestions, I was leaning Vox or Marshall as well.

I haven't played out for a while but have definitely enjoyed stereo rigs in the past, even at low volumes and especially with chorus or delay pedals.

Hopefully I will have time to play out again at some point but it would probably be smaller bars. That said, I like mid to large size amps in general.

Bluesbreaker would be cool but they are pricey, that's why I was leaning towards a JMP of some sort. An AC30CC would probably be cool but I do prefer point to point when I can afford it. Hopefully one day I will have both because I like the classic amps a lot.

13. anais

anais Member

is this a BF, SF, or RI Super??

I always feel pairing similar style amplifiers with each other just gets you a louder 'that'.. if that makes any sense. I played stereo with a 64 Super Reverb for a few years with a bunch of different amps.. some sounded great, some sounded thin.

I would say if you are going to go for a fender it should be as different as possible, and your options are limited as far is 'different' goes. A solid state rectified 12 or 15 inch speaker configuration would be my choice- a showman with a nice JBL ceramic 130 perhaps? I would say go Orange, Hiwatt or Sound City (killer amps for the price) if you are going to go with a el34 style amplifier.

I would try to find a dumble style amplifier in your price range. If you can get your hands on a Ceriatone or a D'lite amp in your price range I would HIGHLY suggest it. A solid state rectified amp along with your Super will help your sound walk pretty nicely.

my .02

14. Telepatio

Telepatio Member

Mine is a '69 silverface Super.

What's killing me is there is an all original 1971 Bluesbreaker on my local Craigslist right now. I'm sure that's out of my price range but that would be amazing.

15. neville5000

neville5000 Supporting Member

Like others, I say something with a British voice, but go lower wattage (AC15) so you can crank it and use it for leads and the Super for clean/semi-clean rhythms.

16. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Depends on the size venue/room. I never got an answer back from the OP on that.

If it's auditorium or hotel ballroom sized venues, you can crank a Super Reverb to get plenty of natural OD on its own. If it's a small club, even an AC15 can sound too loud when cranked to OD.

17. Marble

Marble Member

something with a cab full of 12s! My guitar foil doesn't typically run 2 amps, but at bigger gigs he'll run his '71 Super through the 4x10s and an Avatar 4x12 w/ Greenbacks and that is an awesome full and balanced tone.

Supers are so good that I would reccomend just getting another extension cab and hooking it up, and cranking the Super. With the stock 2 ohm jacks that might be a problem, but it might not, I know Leo Fender made his stuff to be fool-proof.

18. enocaster

enocaster Member

+1 to an EL84/34 amp with one or two 12" speakers.