What to pair with a Weber 12F150?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Darth Tater, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

I'm currently using a Fender Super Champ XD, I plug into a Weber 12F125A for clean an mild overdrive, and a Weber Silver Bell for high gain. I'm wanting to get away from having 2 separate 8 ohm speakers , and go with a pair of 16 ohm speakers in a cabinet that cover everything so I can just leave it plugged in.

I've got a 12F150 on the way, so what would be a good Weber to pair it with that will sound better with high gain? Stick with a Silver Bell? Something else?

If something is better than Weber, I'm all ears!

2. Rockyrollercat

Rockyrollercat Member

High gain with a 12F150 hmm, I've got one of those but I always thought of it as a big bold clean American type speaker. If I was going to drive it I would try to pair it with something mid rangey like the Weber V12 which I also have hmm, I feel an experiment of my own coming on.

RRC

3. cratz2

cratz2 Member

Well, how do you want it to sound different than your 125 or Silver Bell? I've owned both along with the P12NT (which I think is now called the 12A150O or something like that), a couple Blue Dogs and a 12F150.

Honestly, I love how the Silver Bell and Blue Dogs sound. I have my Silver Bell currently in a Vox AD60VTX and it sounds great for Vox and higher gain tones, but I'm not crazy about it in that amp for Fender tones, but that's probably more likely the fault of the amp, not the speaker. I think the Silver Bell was my favorite speaker I ever used in my 5E3 though it does have a good bit of bottom end.

I think if I were to order a Weber with the primary intention of making it sound great with cleans and with gain, a ceramic Michigan would be my first choice followed by a ceramic Blue Dog.

4. Darth Tater

Well it's not that I really want them to sound different, but I'm going from using one speaker at a time to using both speakers together so I want them to mesh nicely. And since the Super Champ XD goes from Blackface clean to Soldano overdrive with a button push, they need to handle both.

Currently, the 12F125 has those big bold cleans, and sounds great with mild overdrive. Not so great with high gain.

The Silver Bell does high gain beautifully, but does not to the cleans as well.

Or, maybe there is another pairing that would be better? I'm not married to Weber, I've just got a 12F150...I can just as easily sell it and get something else if there are better options.

I'm open for any pair of 12's in 16 ohm that are not too expensive..around $150 for a pair...so used is obviously an option. WGS? Eminence? Jensen? Name it!

5. remocity

remocity Supporting Member

6. epluribus

epluribus Member

Sort of a non-answer maybe, but I'm not the least bit impressed with the Celestion G12T-100 in that role. Among many other uses, it comes stock in Fender's Cyber Twin. The CT actually excels at several things beyond Fender cleans, but the speaker/cab just isn't up to the task. Can't say on the Weber Michigan, as I don't own any, but other CT users swear by 'em.

Non-answer number two, I'm not sure I'd put a Silver Bell and a 12F150 in the same cab...two different beasts IMHO. If you want both sounds, I'd do two different cabs...one a 12F150 1x12, and one a Siver/Blue 2x10 or 2x12 with one of each "color" speaker. Personally I'm partial to two Silvers in the same cab, but I'm in a decided minority on that one.

For truly good Fender cleans, I'm with ya on the Weber US-spec ("Vintage") lineup...12F150 and the AlNiCo Sig10S are terrific speakers, and 40W Weber 10FV's (now known as the Silver Ten) in a 2x10 combo config all do very well. Of those three, the real standout there is the 12F150...seriously monster Fender Deluxe sound living in that speaker.

BTW, for Scotty-Beamed-An-Amp-Down authenticity, the Sig 10S does best in it's 1x10 open-back cab for small early Tweed stuff, while the others are better for later Blackface sounds. Late Tweed, Blonde, and Brown stuff...not sure, haven't A/B'd any of those to say for sure. The Silver Ten's aren't exact on the Fender tones, but they sure are nice stuff anyway...favorites.

Oh...'59 Bassman sound...snagged an old Lafayette (Univox) PA-960 closed-back combo amp. Middling sorta-linear SS amp in it, but the cab...4x10 US-made Jensen C10R's, the ceramic cousin of the Bassman's speakers, in a very similar cab. (Replace the back with an open-back panel and it's right there.) Does a fantastic job for re-creating Fender 4x10 tones, but surprisingly the Weber 10FV-loaded (aka Silver Ten) 2x10 can easily do a terrific punchy rendition of the same sounds.

For Marshall tones including heavier Marshall-style drive, the Silver Ten-ish combo does exceedingly well. For the heaviest Marshall stuff, along with Orange and Hiwatt-type tones, IMHO you need to get beyond what a combo cab will give you. For those I use a variety of 2x12 and 4x12 closed-back cabs, loaded with Greenbacks, Weber "Greenbacks," Vintage 30's, G12H-30's, or Peavey Scorpions. I also use Carvin Vintage 30's, but in my book those are exceedingly dark speakers, so they don't see much use. Great for big Marshall stuff, but only the Vintage 30/G12H30 pair in my TSL122 can do justice to Fender cleans. The Greenies are just too colorful for Fender or Vox tones, and the Scorps are too flat.

But once you get into modern hi-gain, like Soldano sound and down-tuned Korn-type stuff, it gets really demanding. One of the few cabs I have that I'm happy with in that role is a cavernous old '69 Univox 1221 2x12 closed-back, loaded with Emi F12-15R's made to their spec...which is to say they're remarkably similar to Fane Crescendo's. (Weber makes a nice replacement for the Crescendo, btw.)

Beyond that cab, the the TSL122 (Vintage 30/G12H30, stock) stacked atop a similarly equipped extension cab will handle anything from Plexi to Marshall hi-gain very nicely...but that's because that's exactly what it is. (And I like my Greenback cab even better under it, but it's a different sound for what you'd think of as TSL.)

Mesa sound...dunno on that one. Got a bud who dearly loves the G12T-100 in his Cyber Twin for that, and he's a big Mesa user, so I guess that's a good recommendation. I rarely play much of anything Mesa, modeled or otherwise, so I can't really speak to that. I will say that you can easily get away with making an amp sit in a mix requiring Mesa hi-gain by using the G12T-100 cab. Sits good, sounds good, dunno if it's the least bit authentic.

Long way of saying that to really nail everything from Tweed to cascading hi-gain, I'm not sure you'll find one speaker that gets you there...if you're trying to duplicate any given rig's signature tone. But if you just want a competent job of handling all those styles of tone your choices get considerably easier.

In that case I'd do two: For a huge spectrum of sound, the Weber Silver Ten-ish 2x10 for Fender and small Marshall stuff, and the Fane-style Univox 2x12 for bigger iron and modern hi-gain. An alternate choice for big iron would be the Vintage 30/G12H-30 setup if I was playing more big Marshall sound than Soldano and down-tuned stuff. Narrowed down like that, all will color their respective tones considerably, but they render them well for what I consider to be useful. But if your requirements are a little narrowier, and all you want is Fender cleans and good Marshall tone, then the clear choice would be the 12F150 1x12 and a Silver (or Silver/Blue) Ten-loaded 2x10.

If I had to do it with only one cab? No contest, the little Weber Silver-loaded 2x10. Like you, I just want to leave the cab plugged into my Cyber Twin and be done with it, and that's my go-to cab. (Fender shoulda just done the CT with a setup like that to begin with, in my book.) Not the least bit authentic for big-iron sound, but great definition and bite where it counts in a mix, from Fender cleans all the way to the highest gain. Just don't expect the basement to rattle or your pantlegs to blow around...

--Ray

PS...Seeing as how you already have a 12F150... If you do the Silver or Silver/Blue thing in addition, I think you're gonna dearly love having the choice.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  7. Darth Tater

What about Greenbacks or their various clones?

Would a pair of them do a good compromise of Fender Cleans and nice fizzy free overdrive?

8. epluribus

epluribus Member

Lotta color in Greenbacks, IMHO, and far too round on the top end to do Fender sound.