What to replace the BD2 in my chain?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rorschah, Nov 28, 2005.

1. rorschah

rorschah Member

So after asking tons of questions, around here, I've picked up a bunch of stuff. My chain right now is:

Strat or p90 Yammie -> Hellbaby -> BD-2 -> Catalinbread SCOD -> Lovepedal Karl -> Pro Reverb

(great pedals! Thanks guys!)

The BD2 is the weak link right now. It's got the basic thang I dig - a nice, responsive crunchiness, transparent (no freakin' tubescreamer hump! no compression!). But it's by far the biggest tonesucker in the chain; it ain't true bypass; it's the weakest link. (I dig it far more than the other things I've had in that slot: keeley ibanez tubescreamer, FDII, bad monkey, maxon od9)

What to go in there?

I've got boost and very low grit covered with the Hellbaby; I've got Rat-like distortion and beyond covered with the SCOD. I need something for that in between stage; the stuff that sounds like a Fender or something from early stages of breakup to all out breakup. The BD-2 has a responsiveness to picking dynamics I like, and it plays well with the p90 crunch, but it's got definite tone-suck, and it really falls apart at high gain, to my ear. Crunch gets annoying and doesn't sound integrated with the guitar anymore.

I'd rather get a different pedal than get the Keeley mod to this one, partially because in its present form its still my favorite single pedal to put in my pocket for a jam.

Candidates:

Timmy
    Cot 50
    Eternity

What else?

Thanks!

-thi

2. erksin

erksin Member

Timmy.

I replaced a Keeley BD-2 with one and there really is no comparison IMO. What the Timmy's EQ can do for other pedals in front of it is just incredible. I've built my entire pedal rig around it, it's that versatile.

3. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Member

i think the Power Screamer does the best crunch thing. Despite its name, it sounds nothing like a tube screamer. I have one on my board and get some nice Aerosmith type tones out of it. However, it doesn't really do the singing lead thing. I got a Fulldrive 2 for that.

4. rorschah

rorschah Member

Is the Timmy about the same range of gain as the BD2? I had some sense that it was mostly low-gain, and didn't do medium crunchy. Does Timmy do that cranked-tweed level crunch?

Wonder what would happen if I hit the Timmy with the Hellbaby?

5. erksin

erksin Member

I had the Keeley, not the stock BD-2 so I can't say for sure. The Keeley headed into fuzzland when you cranked up the gain - the Timmy won't get close. If you want higher gain tones, just stack another pedal into it - I use a Hellbilly or MI Audio Blue Boy into mine and it's fantastic. If you're running an amp clean or verge of breakup like I do, the Timmy is perfect for low-med powertubey grind - I don't think I'd call it a 'crunch' type box, won't turn your Fender into a Marshall. It is similar to the BD-2 in it's lack of mids, but the overall EQ shaping is so much more flexible you can get quite a lot of tones out of it.

I should say that I've only run my Timmy in the stock least compressed mode - it might get a little more rude in the asymetrical clipping mode. Maybe somebody who runs it that way can comment on how it sounds..?

6. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I was going to buy a keeley bd-2, and scott from www.axeandyoushallreceive.com recommended me the TC Jauernig Diabolical Gristle Tone Manipulator OD, which is an excellent pedal and I kept (cheaper too!)

Very versatile, has a toggle switch and uber-responsive knobs (typical level, tone, and gain). A little wider than a boss pedal, same height, small real estate.

Check out some soundclips from indyguitarist. He plays with the pedal in various settings on each clip:
    http://www.indyguitarist.com/soundclips/dgtm-fender-champ.mp3
    http://www.indyguitarist.com/soundclips/dgtm-fender-deluxe.mp3
    http://www.indyguitarist.com/soundclips/dgtm-vox.mp3

7. rorschah

rorschah Member

Forgot - other two candidates were:

Gainster
    Little Leo

8. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

9. rhys

rhys Supporting Member

if you really dig the tone and it's the lack of true bypass that's holding you back, pick up a bypass pedal--or if you handy w/ a soldering iron, you can make one yourself for $20 or less.