What to study for grad school?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by still.ill, Aug 21, 2014.

1. still.ill

still.ill Member

I got a worthless degree in Marketing from a "top" Business school in NYC, but wasn't able to find a job there.... now rotting away studying for GRE's in my mother's new house in North Carolina.
    I should have studied something more useful/lucrative/technical like computer science for bachelors, but it doesn't seem like I can really have a chance of getting in a grad school for that because of all the math prerequisites and stuff (most people applying already are C.S undergrads)

:(

I really feel like I learned absolutely nothing in college except two things:

1. How to play guitar better
    2. Aspiring Wall Street bankers are the scum of the earth

There don't seem to be any grad programs that even offer an electric guitar focus, so it seems like a dead end.

2. Mike Anderson

Mike Anderson Member

If you're good with math and computers, learn statistics and R.

3. still.ill

still.ill Member

funnily enough thats what my mom does and she is the primary breadwinner, i actually took a mandatory stat course that i didn't really enjoy at all, it was incredibly boring ( i slept through most of the classes)
    but got an A- in..... perhaps that is an option

4. Jonny Hotnuts

Jonny Hotnuts Member

Do what I did:

1. Drop out of high school
    2. Drop out of college
    3. Work for Peavey and in radio
    4. underpants....
    5. Get job at in engineering department at Fortune 100
    6. Marry the prom queen.

~JH

5. jhc

jhc Senior Member

and if you're near Cary, see if you can't get an internship at SAS

6. Mngwa

Mngwa Member

Bro works for a medical device company, he's got a good deal goin' - and he says the statisticians can practically write their own ticket.

7. oldschoolguy

oldschoolguy Member

A friend from the University of Minnesota asked me what he should do with a degree in English. Simple, I replied, you're going to be a lawyer. Fast forward 10 years hence and after a second degree he went to law school and is not very, very well off.

8. bunuel

bunuel Member

Look on the bright side, many folks haven't learned those two things!

9. catpeople

catpeople Senior Member

Usually people go to grad school because they want to study a subject they really like in depth. Sounds like you want to go to grad school because it sounds like a good idea. It's not, really.

10. jhc

jhc Senior Member

Good point, I have 2 doctoral degrees and I've only learned one of them :brick

11. gearmeup

gearmeup Member

This is the coolest post ever......... I got my bachelors in business but it didn't do much either....... I will be following this thread intently

12. SigXer

SigXer Member

You have two doctoral degrees? What on earth made you decide to go back to graduate school? I am just shy of finishing graduate school and would never think of doing it again. In fact, if I could travel back in time, I would tell the past me to skip graduate school.

13. GottaPracticeMore

GottaPracticeMore Member

Why not learn a trade? If you like working with your hands, it may be a lot more satisfying than doing office work somewhere. I personally really admire craftsmen who are able to create and repair things.

14. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

As posted by another: grad school isn't necessarily the best time to figure out what you're wanting to do with your life. It's designed to help you narrow down your field, to begin developing your specialty.
    Maybe you should wait a bit.

15. travisvwright

travisvwright Member

This seems so backwards to me. "I bought a lot of education, that did me no good, and I'm determined to buy a bunch more (both with money and time), but I don't know what I want yet. Marketing was hard to find any use for...maybe electric guitar?"

Not to be harsh to the OP, I'm just of the persuasion that education is to learn something, and dislike education for education sake.

16. Catch

Catch Analog>Digital Converter

If you are a recent grad, now is the time to take some risks, dream a little. I have a Master's of Fine Arts in Creative Writing (fiction) and a graduate certificate (master's equivalent in landscape design). I was a journalist, burned out, am a garden designer...ultimately, two careers in to my post bachelor's life I often wonder at the place at which I have arrived.

The MFA and career change were risks...but I still work for other people. I certainly discovered an entrepreneurial spirit along the way and wish I had set myself up as my own boss.

If you are creative, find something that is as close to playtime as possible and jump in.

Higher ed is fine, but only when you are ready and are passionate about your focus. My MFA was 4 years and many, many long days and nights of work. My certificate required so many all nighters I'm still catching up on sleep. It's only ever rewarding when you are convinced it isn't torture.

17. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty

I have a JD and an MBA so effectively 2 masters degrees.

Both were more useful for the network they gave me rather than any specific knowledge. The law degree is great for things like attention to detail and processing information. The business degree taught me a few absolutely vital economic truths that changed my life.

The most useful one - is if you see someone selling something something to providing some service, they are making money doing it. If they are selling, someone is buying. No matter how absurd it seems to you. Now are they making a profit, enough money etc? Who knows? But someone is buying. Like the dude selling roses in a restaurant. If no one was buying, he wouldn't be there.

18. Rumy73

Rumy73 Senior Member

I encourage gaining direct work experience in a given field prior to any grad school, otherwise you are on an expensive flight of fancy.

19. Rumy73

Rumy73 Senior Member

Stop crying. More formal schooling is not always the best answer. Be willing to relocate. Expect low wages despite a degree. Consider overseas options for work. Fight for chances to get experience. Stop crying about what could have been. Grad school is not a golden goose; it is a student loan noose.

20. Rumy73

Rumy73 Senior Member

Amen! We have been oversold on college. Life has more options.