What true bypass loop pedal will do this?

spanishcastlemagi

Silver Supporting Member
Hey all...can someone help me find this?

Does anyone know of a true bypass looper box that is set up the same way as the 3 loops built into the amptweaker pro pedals?

To see a graphic of what I'm talking about, scroll down the page at this link to see how amptweaker's "side trak" effects loop works
http://channel.com.ph/product/tightrock/4757/

I need a true bypass switcher that can switch between two loops and has a 3rd loop that is turned "off" for "clean only effects" when the other loops are engaged... kind of the same idea as the "sidetrak" loop on the amptweaker pedals... I can find plenty of switcher boxes that have 3 loops, but none where the 3rd loop is turned off when the other 2 are engaged.

Does anyone make this?

Any input is appreciated...

mdmack

Not sure if anyone makes that specifically, but American Loopers is usually pretty fair with custom builds and i am sure they could make you one.

stinkfoot

:agree

I suspect a programmable looper would be the way to go. The GigRig Quartermaster QMX series can indeed to flip-flop (so activating one of the loops assigned to flip-flop mode automatically turns the others off), but it can't do exactly what the OP wants.

tubekingsley

Hey all...can someone help me find this?

Does anyone know of a true bypass looper box that is set up the same way as the 3 loops built into the amptweaker pro pedals?

To see a graphic of what I'm talking about, scroll down the page at this link to see how amptweaker's "side trak" effects loop works
http://channel.com.ph/product/tightrock/4757/

I need a true bypass switcher that can switch between two loops and has a 3rd loop that is turned "off" for "clean only effects" when the other loops are engaged... kind of the same idea as the "sidetrak" loop on the amptweaker pedals... I can find plenty of switcher boxes that have 3 loops, but none where the 3rd loop is turned off when the other 2 are engaged.

Does anyone make this?

Any input is appreciated...
Go to the Loop-master site, and select ABC Box Pedals- then scroll down to ABC Loop Switcher. It's a 6" strip enclosure, with two stomp switches- one stomp switch shuttles between loop A and loop B, the other stomp switch, activates loop C (which is where your clean effects would live), while disengaging loop A or B. They are $100

dave999z

As a hack…

You could get a mini "A or B" looper like this:
http://www.loop-master.com/custom-mini-version-decals-p-216.html

And in one of the loops (A or B), put a standard 2-channel bypass looper like this:
http://www.loop-master.com/looper-effect-switcher-version-p-31.html

Any of these builders could do the exact pedal you want though. It's not difficult and shouldn't be expensive. (I personally had a challenging experience communicating with loop-master about a custom pedal, which never came to pass. But they make good stuff and were easy to link to here as examples.)

dave999z

Go to the Loop-master site, and select ABC Box Pedals- then scroll down to ABC Loop Switcher. It's a 6" strip enclosure, with two stomp switches- one stomp switch shuttles between loop A and loop B, the other stomp switch, activates loop C (which is where your clean effects would live), while disengaging loop A or B. They are $100
Only problem there is if he sometimes wants to have both A and B active at the same time?

spanishcastlemagi

Silver Supporting Member
Damn... you guys are awesome.
I looked everywhere and couldn't find what I wanted.
I will look into all of these suggestions.
Especially tubekingsleys recommendation.. and Dave's "hack" which might work as well.

I don't have the dough or the space for a gig rig, unfortunately.
If I could find a small form factor loop pedal that will provide everything my tight drive pro's 3 loops will, that would be absolutely perfect. The main thing is having a 3rd loop like the amptweaker "side track" loop that is automatically bypassed when either of the other 2 loops are engaged...and active again when they are off.
The reason is that I have a bogner Harlow that sounds amazing on my clean tone, but I don't love how it pairs with my od's.
If I only used my tight drive pro for overdrive, I would just put the Harlow in its "side trak" loop...problem solved.
But, I have 2 od's... a Baldringer for rhythm and the tight drive for high gain and solos.
That's why I need an A/B type box to switch between the baldringer and the tight drive... but still remove the Harlow from my chain when I'm using either od, so it only effects my clean tone. Hope that makes sense...
I REALLY appreciate these suggestions.
I'm not terribly experienced with incorporating different loops in/out of my signal chain...
Is there any other clever solution I might not have thought of?
:munch

Last edited:

Motterpaul

Tone is in the Ears
I am not sure what you are looking for exactly, but I build a simple looper pedal where you have a choice of two loops - red or green. You have an input and an output, and you choose between either loop.

Loop A = my sound for chunky rhythm (an OD pedal) >>> back into loop pedal return
Loop B = my sound for lead guitar (a different OD pedal, turned up louder; followed by a Digital Delay plus an EQ pedal) >>> back into loop pedal return

If I want neither, I just select Loop A and switch off the OD pedal - with true bypass it goes straight through. Of course I thought of other ways to do this, but this is the most reliable. It is a simple A or B choice, but the payoff is that it means just one footswitch to hit while you are playing to switch between two groups of pedals. Turn on or off any of the pedals within each of the loops as you please between songs.

Plus, this pedal is reliable. The only thing the power does is light up the LEDs. I color them the same as the main pedal you have in each loop.

It is simple, really. I don't really see why you would want EQ and a boost built into a looper pedal when you can just put the exact OD/EQ/boost you want in either loop with separate pedals. I could build you whatever you want, however.

tubekingsley

As a hack…

You could get a mini "A or B" looper like this:
http://www.loop-master.com/custom-mini-version-decals-p-216.html

And in one of the loops (A or B), put a standard 2-channel bypass looper like this:
http://www.loop-master.com/looper-effect-switcher-version-p-31.html

Any of these builders could do the exact pedal you want though. It's not difficult and shouldn't be expensive. (I personally had a challenging experience communicating with loop-master about a custom pedal, which never came to pass. But they make good stuff and were easy to link to here as examples.)
The Custom Mini A/B Box you recommended, doesn't have loops- it has inputs to be used with guitar and amplifier, not pedals. You would need to use a standard clean/dirty loop switcher ($58), and a standard two loop switcher ($48). What you would get, is the ABC Loop Switcher I recommended, only the two pedals cost $6 more (new) and would take up 3" additional inches of board space, if you're using top jacks. That's still a clever idea on your behalf, way to think outside the A/B Box...

dave999z

The Custom Mini A/B Box you recommended, doesn't have loops- it has inputs to be used with guitar and amplifier, not pedals. You would need to use a standard clean/dirty loop switcher ($58), and a standard two loop switcher ($48). What you would get, is the ABC Loop Switcher I recommended, only the two pedals cost $6 more (new) and would take up 3" additional inches of board space, if you're using top jacks. That's still a clever idea on your behalf, way to think outside the A/B Box...
Gotcha, didn't mean to link to an amp selector, meant to link to a pedal with one switch that selects between effects loop A or effects loop B.

tubekingsley

I am not sure what you are looking for exactly, but I build a simple looper pedal where you have a choice of two loops - red or green. You have an input and an output, and you choose between either loop.

Loop A = my sound for chunky rhythm (an OD pedal) >>> back into loop pedal return
Loop B = my sound for lead guitar (a different OD pedal, turned up louder; followed by a Digital Delay plus an EQ pedal) >>> back into loop pedal return

If I want neither, I just select Loop A and switch off the OD pedal - with true bypass it goes straight through. Of course I thought of other ways to do this, but this is the most reliable. It is a simple A or B choice, but the payoff is that it means just one footswitch to hit while you are playing to switch between two groups of pedals. Turn on or off any of the pedals within each of the loops as you please between songs.

Plus, this pedal is reliable. The only thing the power does is light up the LEDs. I color them the same as the main pedal you have in each loop.

It is simple, really. I don't really see why you would want EQ and a boost built into a looper pedal when you can just put the exact OD/EQ/boost you want in either loop with separate pedals. I could build you whatever you want, however.
He wants a switcher with two stomp switches, and three loops. One stomp switch selects between loop A or loop B. The other stomp switch, disengages loop A or loop B (whichever is activated), and activates loop C. You can't fit three loops, and two stomp switches into an MXR sized enclosure, to my knowledge- that's why Loop-master builds it in a 6" strip.

Motterpaul

Tone is in the Ears
Question - do you really use clean rhythm and OD rhythm in the same song (I know I rarely do). If not then you only need one looper pedal - loop A with Harlowe, Loop B with the rhythm OD. If you do use all three sounds in one song then I assume you still want another looper to switch between rhythm and lead ODs - because otherwise you are turning OFF the rhythm OD to turn ON the lead OD. (two click, unless you stack them).

Either way, if you used two of my loopers you could turn on the Harlow (clean) and bypass the two ODs, but when you want to go to the ODs you have them on a separate looper (with the one you want on first on) and switch between them with one click.

Either way, you are only using on click at a time. And you could fit them into an MXR style box - four jacks per side.

jaymeister

How about a programmable switcher like Disaster Area? Might be overkill, but it will do what you want plus more.

Motterpaul

Tone is in the Ears
Another way to go is relays - they can switch things any way you want with one click. I do understand it is not an easy thing to wrap your head around, but I solved my own tap dance issues with one looper, but if you need two switches in one box that is not hard to do. Four jacks along the sides and two switches at the bottom, far left and right. Left switch turns off the clean sound and turns on the OD loop. The second switch switches between OD pedals.

Loop-Master

Actually that is it ^^

Thanks for the props!

DaveKS

Damn... you guys are awesome.
I looked everywhere and couldn't find what I wanted.
I will look into all of these suggestions.
Especially tubekingsleys recommendation.. and Dave's "hack" which might work as well.

I don't have the dough or the space for a gig rig, unfortunately.
If I could find a small form factor loop pedal that will provide everything my tight drive pro's 3 loops will, that would be absolutely perfect. The main thing is having a 3rd loop like the amptweaker "side track" loop that is automatically bypassed when either of the other 2 loops are engaged...and active again when they are off.
The reason is that I have a bogner Harlow that sounds amazing on my clean tone, but I don't love how it pairs with my od's.
If I only used my tight drive pro for overdrive, I would just put the Harlow in its "side trak" loop...problem solved.
But, I have 2 od's... a Baldringer for rhythm and the tight drive for high gain and solos.
That's why I need an A/B type box to switch between the baldringer and the tight drive... but still remove the Harlow from my chain when I'm using either od, so it only effects my clean tone. Hope that makes sense...
I REALLY appreciate these suggestions.
I'm not terribly experienced with incorporating different loops in/out of my signal chain...
Is there any other clever solution I might not have thought of?
:munch

Sounds like you might like the Flexreaction

spanishcastlemagi

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks everyone for your input and opinions. Much appreciated...

Another way to go is relays - they can switch things any way you want with one click. I do understand it is not an easy thing to wrap your head around, but I solved my own tap dance issues with one looper, but if you need two switches in one box that is not hard to do. Four jacks along the sides and two switches at the bottom, far left and right. Left switch turns off the clean sound and turns on the OD loop. The second switch switches between OD pedals.
Motterpaul, I like this idea. I will PM you to discuss when I figure out for sure what I need.

Actually that is it ^^

Thanks for the props!
Loop-Master, Thanks for replying to my email. Your ABC splitter does seem to be the closest thing to what I'm currently looking for.
What would be the approximate current build/turn time... or do you offer these pre-built?

I'm in the process of completing a new DIY board. I need to do a little more testing and experimentation with my OD pedals and then decide for sure which kind of signal switching/looper box to buy or have built...experimenting right now with switching between two separate pedals for rhthym and lead...or stacking 2 pedals for leads...trying to decide which will work/sound best... this will dictate what kind of looper/box I buy, so i want to be sure.

The opinions offered on this thread have been very helpful...

Trending Topics